PDA

View Full Version : For the Lamb Lovers out there

tc
05-03-2009, 12:47 PM
One of my favorite Red Meats is Lamb, and here are a few of my standards.

Tom

Braised Lamb Shanks with Mascarpone Polenta

Ingredients
• 1 cup all purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon seasoned garlic pepper
• 4 large lamb shanks
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
• 3/4 cup chopped carrots
• 3/4 cup chopped celery
• 2 tablespoons minced garlic
• 2 cups dry red wine
• 1 cup peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
• 2 bay leaves
• 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
• 2 sprigs fresh thyme
• 2 cups chicken broth
• 2 cups beef broth
Mascarpone Cheese Polenta:
• 2 1/2 cups water
• 2 cups milk
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• Freshly ground white pepper
• 1 cup polenta (coarsely ground yellow cornmeal)
• 1/4 cup heavy cream
• 1 cup mascarpone cheese
• 4 sprigs rosemary, for garnish
Directions
In a shallow dish, combine the flour and seasoned pepper. Season the lamb liberally with salt and pepper, then dredge the lamb shanks in the seasoned flour, shaking to remove any excess. In a large Dutch oven, heat the 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat until hot. Add the lamb shanks, in batches if necessary to prevent overcrowding, and cook until well-browned on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the shanks from the pan and set aside. Add the onions, carrots, and celery to the pan, and cook, stirring, until soft and caramelized around the edges, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to deglaze the pan. Cook until reduced by half. Add the tomatoes and bay leaves and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add 2 tablespoons of the parsley, the rosemary, thyme, chicken broth, beef broth, and reserved shanks and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, season with salt and pepper, cover tightly, and cook, turning the meat occasionally, until the meat is tender and falling from the bone, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
For the mascarpone polenta:
In a large saucepan, bring the water and milk to a boil. Add the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil and season with salt and white pepper. Very gradually, add the polenta in a steady stream, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring frequently with a heavy wooden spoon until thick and creamy, 20 to 30 minutes. Add the heavy cream and mascarpone to the polenta and adjust the seasoning, to taste. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes longer, or until smooth, thick and creamy. Keep warm until ready to serve the shanks.
When the lamb shanks are very tender and beginning to fall from the bone, remove them from the braising liquid using a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate, cover with foil to keep warm, and set aside. Bring the braising liquid to a boil and cook until reduced to sauce consistency and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Adjust seasoning if necessary and remove from the heat.
To serve, spoon the polenta into 4 large bowls. Top each with a lamb shank and spoon the sauce over the lamb. Garnish each plate with a rosemary sprig.

tc
05-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Some Leg of Lamb.

Tom

Rosemary and Garlic Roast Leg of Lamb

Ingredients
• 1 leg of lamb, bone in (about 6 to 7 1/2 pounds)
• 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
• 8 cloves garlic, minced
• 3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
Sauce:
• 1 cup chopped fresh herbs (combination of rosemary, chives, and parsley)
• 2 cups diced onions
• 2 cups chicken stock
• 1 cup red wine
Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Using your hands, rub the lamb all over with the lemon juice. Pat the garlic and rosemary evenly all over the surface of the meat. Season the meat with the salt and pepper and place the lamb in a roasting pan. Place the lamb in the oven and roast for 30 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and continue to cook for about 1 hour longer for medium-rare, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the center of the roast registers about 145 degrees F to 150 degrees F (be careful that the thermometer does not touch the bone.) Remove lamb from pan and allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before carving.
Position the roasting pan over your stove burners. Add mixed herbs and onions to pan, and stir to combine with pan drippings. Add chicken stock and wine to deglaze the pan, scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon to release any fond. Reduce over high heat until sauce consistency. Strain before serving, if desired. Slice lamb and serve with sauce drizzled over the top.

tc
05-03-2009, 12:49 PM
And finally a Rack of Lamb.

Tom

Mustard Crusted Rack of Lamb

Ingredients
• 1 rack of lamb, trimmed (about 1 1/2 pounds)
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
• 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
• 2 teaspoons minced garlic
• 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
• 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
• Fig Chutney, recipe follows, optional
Directions
Season rack of lamb well on all sides with salt and pepper. Heat a medium skillet over high heat and, when hot, add the oil. When the oil is almost smoking, add the rack of lamb and brown well on all sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer the lamb to a plate and set aside to cool slightly before proceeding.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Using the back of a spoon, spread the mustard evenly over all sides of the lamb. Spread the minced garlic over the lamb in the same manner.
In a small mixing bowl combine the breadcrumbs and grated cheese and toss to thoroughly combine. Using your hands or a spoon, spread the breadcrumb mixture evenly all over the lamb, pressing so that the crumbs adhere to the meat.
Place the rack of lamb on a baking sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes for medium-rare. Allow lamb to sit for 5 to 10 minutes before carving into chops to serve.

metalmouth
05-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Tom,

I think Lamb is my favorite red meat of all. It's easy to cook and the results are usually stunning. Thanks for the recipes!

Don

metalmouth
05-03-2009, 01:51 PM
A thought comes to mind . . . I usually debone, butterfly, season or stuff and roll truss my leg of lamb. Do you think it comes out better with the bone?

tc
05-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Don, I usually do the same with whole legs, *the bone is what I roast to make my Lamb Stock, that I use in other recipe's, although the marrow in the leg bones does add quite allot to the drippings if your going to make some gravy, and who doesn't. I do prefer to deal with a boneless leg, that's one of the things that I usually stock up on from Costco.

Tom

metalmouth
05-03-2009, 04:38 PM
+1 :)

żżż
05-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Great looking recipes. The lamb chop recipe looks like how I do mine, with exception of the bread crumbs. I prefer the texture of panko. :)

Captain Compassion
05-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks TC. Like MM lamb is perhaps my favorite meat. Just don't have the gumption to make the more difficult recipes. The Country Club in G'ville makes good Lamb Shanks. I sometimes get the boneless stuff from Costco but I find the leg bone in is better. The Costco Lamb Chops are thick and are excellent grilled.

CC

Bartender
05-03-2009, 07:28 PM
O' man the Mustard Crusted Rack of Lamb is totaly my favorite way to roast lamb, but a quick smoke on the bbq is not bad too *;D.

metalmouth
05-04-2009, 07:07 AM
I generally butterfly the leg and then throw it in gallon bag with Red Wine, Worcestershire, chopped rosemary, and minced garlic for 12 hours. Then I truss up the leg and in a bowl I mix seeded mustard, Worcestershire, minced garlic, chopped rosemary, coriander, and chipotle pepper. I slather this all over the roast and spray with olive oil. Good eats.

tc
05-04-2009, 11:05 AM
I have a pretty tasty recipe for a Chorizo and Wild Rice Stuffing, that goes very well inside a Boneless Leg of Lamb. As soon as I find it, I'll post it up.

Tom

żżż
05-04-2009, 11:39 AM
I think I see lamb in my future... ;)

Is the lamb pretty fresh at Costco? Anyone buy theirs in the Sacramento area? :-?

tc
05-04-2009, 12:04 PM
This stuffing goes great with a boneless leg of Lamb.

Tom

Wild Rice and Chorizo Stuffing

Ingredients:

Rice:
8 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups wild rice
Stuffing:
4 cups (1-inch-cubed) ciabatta bread
1 cup toasted, coarsely chopped hazelnuts
2 cups Chorizo casing removed
8 tablespoons salted butter
1 cup onion (1/4-inch-diced)
1 cup celery (1/4-inch-diced)
4 cups sliced chanterelle mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
3 cup chicken broth or stock
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 egg, beaten

Directions:
To make rice: In a large pot, bring water and salt to a boil. Stir in wild rice and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer rice, stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes to 1 hour or until very tender. Drain and cool.

To make stuffing: Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray and set aside. Place bread cubes and hazelnuts in large mixing bowl and set aside.

In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, melt butter, then add the onion, celery and mushrooms; season with salt and pepper. Saute for about 7 to 8 minutes or until tender. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Add mushroom mixture and herbs and cool.

Combine mushroom mixture with cooked rice, beaten egg, bread and nuts, and toss until bread is thoroughly coated. Add salt and pepper if needed.

Place stuffing in baking pan, cover and refrigerate overnight to let flavors develop.

When ready to bake, pull out of refrigerator 30 minutes ahead to come to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until cooked through, or use as a stuffing. For a "crisper" stuffing, bake for a few minutes more.

tc
05-04-2009, 12:11 PM
I think I see lamb in my future... *;)

Is the lamb pretty fresh at Costco? *Anyone buy theirs in the Sacramento area? *:-?

Mooch, we buy Lamb at Costco in Reno all the time, and have never had a bad piece. They buy allot of fresh Lamb from New Zealand, so the price is always pretty good. I usually buy a couple of fresh Spring Lambs a year from local Ranchers and butcher them myself. but Costco is my second choice.

Tom

żżż
05-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Holy!!! :o
4 CUPS OF CHANTERELLES? I need to put in some overtime!!! :D ;) :D

tc
05-04-2009, 12:34 PM
You can use any Mushroom you have, I will generally mix two or three types that I find at the market.

Tom

DazShooter
05-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Tips for butterflying a leg of lamb?

tc
05-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Tips for butterflying a leg of lamb?

DazShooter, see below

Tom

Boning a leg of lamb

To ensure a neat, easy job, use a narrow, rigid boning knife.

1. There are three bones to remove: the shank bone, which juts out of the meat at the narrow end; the middle bone, which is attached to the shank bone by a ball and socket joint; and the V-shaped pelvic bone, which turns across the thick end of the joint.

2. Lay the leg fleshy side down. Start at the shank end and, holding the knife like a dagger, cut through the flesh down to the shank bone beneath. Change your grip to the normal one and cut along the bone, keeping the knife as close to the bone as possible, so as not to waste any of the meat.

3. Scrape round the ball and socket joint then cut along the middle and pelvic bones. Use your fingers to locate each bone in turn and work from both ends of the leg if you find it easier. Gradually ease the bones out, one by one. The boned meat is now ready to be stuffed, rolled and tied up for roasting.

4. To open the boned meat out flat for grilling which is also known as butterfly boning, make two further parallel cuts through the thick pieces of meat on either side of the space left by the middle bone. Beat the meat once or twice with a wooden mallet to even out the thickness, then grill or barbecue.

żżż
05-04-2009, 02:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NLHU9V5MUg

Part II
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjqTuLr_NBA

OR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poWt5juxdAw

metalmouth
05-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks guys, I couldn't have said (demonstrated) it better myself.

Start on the side with less meat and work around the leg bone(s) with a sharp boning knife. *;D

drstressor
05-04-2009, 05:19 PM
You lamb lovers in Reno and Carson should try Wolfpack Meats. We used to really love their lamb we were at the University. The marinated stuff is to die for. Their meat is fresh and the prices are right.

http://www.cabnr.unr.edu/wpm/

Captain Compassion
05-05-2009, 05:42 AM
You lamb lovers in Reno and Carson should try Wolfpack Meats.

Thanks Doc. Sure seems like a place I need to visit.

CC

tc
05-05-2009, 08:54 AM
I've bought allot of Meat there over the years, good quality and good price, never been stung.

Tom

DazShooter
05-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the tips/videos. As much as the wife and I love to eat lamb, we don't seem to cook it too often.