PDA

View Full Version : Fish taco sauce

MontanaN8V
04-24-2009, 10:11 PM
I need help, who has a good recipe? My wife has never had them homemade, and she wants to, but wants a good sauce. I made some the other night with the boys out of the crappie, and they were good, I just want to please her with a good sauce to put on it. I used ranch and franks red hot mixed, and I like it, but she does not. She likes the white sauce they use at the restaurants. Any help would be much appreciated.

bpfishnon
04-25-2009, 09:03 AM
Sour cream, avocado, cilantro, fresh lime juice and zest blended together. Cool, and refreshing, amounts varied on personal taste, can be used as a simple salad dressing as well. Remember if she learns to not like them then more for you, good luck.
BP

MontanaN8V
04-25-2009, 09:10 AM
That, sounds delicious! Thank you.

MB_Kevin
04-25-2009, 09:43 PM
I like whatever it is they use at Rubios for the sauce. Those fish tacos are pretty good.

thumbuster
04-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Here is the authentic Rubios recipe. Hope it's ok to post this link.
http://recipes.recipeland.com/recipes/recipe/show/Rubios_Fish_Tacos_1056
The white sauce is simply Mayo and yogurt mixed together.

MankinD
04-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Just made fish taco lunch yesterday for a bunch of ladies from church. Intention was to make them healthy and flavorful, so the traditional battered/fried fish was out in favor of grilled striper seasoned liberally with blend of cumin, lemon pepper, garlic powder and paprika.
The Sauce is the real kicker as I did not want a mayo or sour cream based sauce, but needed a healthy low fat alternative (lunch was their reward after a ten mile hike). The base for the sauce is lowfat or non-fat plain yogurt with a little lite sour cream for extra body. Add plenty of cilantro, cumin, minced garlic, lemon or lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.

16 oz. plain non-fat yogurt
2 heaping tblsp lite sour cream
2-3 tblsp chopped cilantro (taste preference)
1-2 cloves minced garlic (taste preference)
1 tsp cumin
1-2 tblsp lemon or lime juice
salt and pepper to taste

As an alternative, I also used the same yogurt/ lite sour cream base with chipotle peppers, diced tomatoes, garlic, and lemon juice salt and pepper. It was great as well, but the ladies fell in love with the cilantro sauce.
We've been using both as salad dressings as well.

thumbuster
04-26-2009, 06:34 PM
This thread got me hungry for fish tacos so I made the Rubio's recipe tonight. They came out great ! I added a little cilantro to the white sauce and it was excellent .

metalmouth
04-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Doug,

I think that is the same recipe that most health food restaurants use for their fish and chicken wraps.

Thanks for the recipe!

Don

MB_Kevin
04-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the link thumbuster!

tc
04-27-2009, 06:05 AM
I made some Fish Taco's the other night with some grilled Sturgeon, and my sauce was my basic Guacamoli, only thinner, avacado's, cilantro, lime juice, tomatoes, garlic and mayo, all run through the food processor, and mixed with red and napa cabbage ovet the Sturgeon. The wife loved them.

Tom

deeretrax
04-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Hi,

In my job I travel a LOT and on my last run through 4 states I seemed to be on a fish taco kick. After trying so many kinds everywhere I settled on what works for me. I settled on grilled only, not fried fish and and flour tort's are OK but if they're on corn tortilla's then double them up, one tortilla has a tendency to blow out when you bite into them. But by far the tastiest fish taco's I've had anywhere were at the Coyote grill in Zepher Cove in Tahoe.

I was gone for 2 and a half months on this last run and I made it a point to go stop by there again for a few before I even got home to Verdi. His sauce is cool like dressing but it has a zesty bite too.

Vern

MB_Kevin
04-27-2009, 09:12 PM
My fist fish taco was at Rubios because I had heard of them here. It was pretty good. So later I went to a nice mexican restaurant and figured I would order them and they had two types so I got the plate that had one of each. I think I only got 2 of the same salmon ones. They were not good at all. It was just a piece of grilled salmon on top of a tortilla and it kind of smelled fishy. I even had one at a fast food place that was better. I guess you just have to try the different places and press your luck.

metalmouth
04-28-2009, 04:56 AM
Yeah the best fish tacos come from the little dive walk ups along the S.D. coast. They are to die for and each uses a "secret" recipe. I never order fish tacos inland. ;D

MontanaN8V
04-28-2009, 06:23 AM
BP, I tried yours, and it was great. That would make a great mexican pasta salad sauce too. This weekend, I am going to try the rubio's recipe. Thanks guys.