PDA

View Full Version : Smokin a pizza?

SuperDave
04-09-2009, 11:17 AM
A lot of people seem to rave about grilled pizza. Is it because it takes on some smokey flavor or some other characteristic? If it is the smoke, what would be a good smoke to use?

Bass_Fisherman
04-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Oak... its a mild sweet flavor. Cook it in an camping oven over a fire using a pizza stone.

Well thats what I use *:)

żżż
04-09-2009, 12:00 PM
IMO it doesn't matter what wood to use because I cook the pizza on high heat (500+*). It's done in literally a few minutes. You need that high heat to get the proper 'spring' from the yeast dough. Low and slow is not the way to cook a pizza. I like to start a couple of logs on one side of the smoker and place a stone next to it to preheat. When the pizza goes on, it get the stored heat in the stone and the super-heat from the flames next to it.

If you don't have a stone you can put in your smoker/BBQ you could par-grill some pizza skins just 'til they are cooked but not fully browned, then later top them as you'd like and fire them over a hot grill.

Man, now I gotta go make pizza on the grill when it stops raining... >:( :)

SuperDave
04-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Mooch, how about for a deep dish in a CI skillet?

żżż
04-09-2009, 12:31 PM
THAT might benefit from a specific type of wood. But even when using conventional cooking tempuratures you're looking at a 30-45 minute cooking time. I'm not so sure I can tell the difference between wood smoke in something that already has very pronounced flavors and is (relatively) lightly smoked. If you were doing a ham shoulder for 18 hours, then it'd be a no-brainer.

I've never tried doin' a Chicago pie in a smoker, but it sounds great! You'll have to let us know how it turns out. :)

Bass_Fisherman
04-09-2009, 01:29 PM
I can taste the difference in the pizza when I cook it in an oven on the stone verses when I cook it when out camping with an Oak fire. Slight smokey flavor is added. I don't just use redwood or the store bought because its not as good for flavoring. Could use mesquite chips and add to the fire as well right as you put it on. But yes get the stone hot as you can and make the dough thin cook for max 10 mins

Recipe:
Olive Oil (for the sauce) Just drizzle it on not to much
3 kind of cheese (usually white cheddar, Parmesan and mozzarella)
Smoked trout (freshly cough at the lake then smoked) ;)
Dried tomato's
Basil
Garlic to taste

Enjoy!!

żżż
04-09-2009, 01:55 PM
I can taste the difference in the pizza when I cook it in an oven on the stone verses when I cook it when out camping with an Oak fire.

Oven vs. open fire? Most definitely! :)

Oak vs. apple vs. pear vs. alder vs. mesquite? I can't, not on a pizza...

Bass_Fisherman
04-09-2009, 02:34 PM
I mean a in house oven verse a camping oven over Oak wood fire

I have this
http://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/shop/pics/camp_oven.jpg

you just place it over the fire or a
2 Burner camping stove

http://d3f8w3yx9w99q2.cloudfront.net/1324/Camp-Chef--Explorer-2-Burner-Propane-Stove-Gas-Grill/Camp-Chef--Explorer-2-Burner-Propane-Stove-Gas-Grill_0_0.jpg

you cant cook pizza just over an open fire the toppings would never melt or cook

;)

Bass_Fisherman
04-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Check out my Camp Kitchen LOL We dont mess around when it comes to food or cooking!! LOL

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/6609/campkichen.jpg

thumbuster
04-12-2009, 08:20 AM
Apple wood is good for wood oven pizza, I'm sure it would work on the grill.
*Gary

walnuts
04-16-2009, 12:22 PM
you cant cook pizza just over an open fire the toppings would never melt or cook

;)

You can and I have in a shallow CI Dutch Oven, deep dish style like the earlier poster was talking about. You have to take it relatively easy on the sauce and toppings compared to a normal oven-cooked deep dish, but it works, and quite well I might add. Make your dough and press it into an warmed, cornmealed and oiled dutch oven, coming about an inch to inch and a half up the sides. Add a light coating of sauce in the low area (seems to help keep the bottom from puffing up too much), cover, and set in a bed of coals. Check a couple times, but after usually no more than 10 min, your dough should be looking good, you want it to be 90% cooked but not browning on the top yet. Pull out and add your cheese and toppings, cover again and return to the coals. I find it helps at this point if you pile up coals around the sides about halfway to the top of the oven. When your cheese is melted and bubbling and starting to brown, remove the top for a minute or two to free any excess steam, then remove the whole shebang from the coals and let rest for at least 5-10 minutes away from the fire. Then, dig in! It can get messy trying to remove slices of pie from a dutch oven which is why I like the shallow ones for this, but it's well worth it to have homemade pizza at the campsite, IMO! :)

Bass_Fisherman
04-21-2009, 10:02 AM
Nice!! Got one and may have to give that a try!!!

SuperDave
04-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Since I've gotten into the Chicago deep dish style, I just ordered this heavy duty pizza pan.

http://www.kitchenemporium.com/cgi-bin/kitchen/prod/38cc69124.html

MankinD
04-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Get to know your local restaraunt supply dealers. They are generally open to the public and have pans like that readily available without having to mail order. Lots of other great cooking tools that you dont get at the mall kitchen stores.

MankinD
04-26-2009, 04:57 PM
For the thin crust fans (New York baby!!!) we have been doing ours directly on the grill without a stone and it has been some of the greatest pizza we've ever had.
Get the pre mixed dough from Trader Joe's (regular or our favorite, galic-pesto) follow instuctions for final rise (only about 20 minutes) and roll out, use pizza peil (large wooden spatula thingy) to slide dough onto direct heat side of multi burner grill for 3 minutes. Flip over onto indirect heat side of grill and quickly place toppings on pizza. (you can flip onto the peil for ease of topping, then slide onto indirect heat) Close grill top for an additional 3-5 minutes cooking.
For those that like simplicity, a great red sauce is the Contadina brand canned pizza sauce, beautifully seasoned.