PDA

View Full Version : Crab Cioppino

Bartender
04-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Anyone have any good ones? * * [smiley=thumbup.gif]

GH * * * * * * * * * * *

metalmouth
04-16-2009, 06:31 AM
Here is a recipe that was given to me. I don't remember where it came from.

Cioppino (Fishermen's Seafood Stew)

-Cup Butter
1-Cup Water
2-Onions Chopped
1 -Cups White Wine
2-Cloves Minced Garlic
-Bunch Chopped Parsley
-Bunch Chopped Cilantro
2-(14.5 oz.) Cans Stewed Tomatoes
2-(14.5 oz.) Cans Chicken Broth
2-Bay Leaves
1-Tbs Dried Basil
-tsp Dried Thyme
-tsp Dried Oregano
1 -Lbs Large Shrimp, Peeled
1 -Lbs. Scallops
1 -Lbs. Halibut Fillets, Cubed
1 -Cup Crabmeat
18-Muscles, cleaned, and debearded
18-Small Clams

Over medium-low heat melt butter in a large stockpot; add onions, garlic, and parsley.
Cook slowly, stirring occasionally until onions are soft.
Add tomatoes to the pot (break them into chunks as you add them).
Add chicken broth, bay leaves, basil, thyme oregano, water and wine.
Mix well.
Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
Stir in the shrimp, scallops, clams, mussels and crabmeat.
Stir in fish.
Bring water to boil.
Lower heat, cover and simmer 5 to 7 minutes until clams open up.
Ladle soup into bowls and serve warm, with crusty bread.

cptdarel
04-17-2009, 07:34 AM
that recipie looks good, but to have a GREAT Crab Cioppino, ya just gotta have whole legs and cracked body in the stew, the kind that when you eat it the juice runs down your chin and stains the table cloth. [smiley=chowtime.gif]

PS: when you make the cioppino with fresh crab, be sure and put the crab butter in the pot. ..................lookout!!!

04-17-2009, 11:13 AM
+1 on adding whole crab. Really intensifies the crab flavor in the broth. That crab butter is killer. No, literally. It'll kill you! ;) :D

Clean a fresh dungeness crab and pre-crack the pinchers and legs. Clean out the gills/guts from the body and cut into quarters/sixths depending on the size. Time the cooking so it can cook for about 10 minutes on a simmer. Don't forget to cook the whole shell as it adds flavor to the broth!

Go to town!

8-)

metalmouth
04-17-2009, 11:31 AM
We've had discussions on the Salt Water Board about the Crab Butter making people seriously ill. :o ::) ;D

scfisher831
04-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Man Cioppino is one of my favorite seafood dishes.I have had a few good ones over time,but the best on I ever had is the Cioppino that's made at Phil's Fish Market *down in Moss Landing.It's off the hook with a lot of seafood and the broth is yummy.Th owner Phil was on the Food Networks show Throw Down with Bobby Flay.Phil's Cioppino beat Flays Cioppino down rite.It's a must to try when down in Moss Landing as everything on the menu there is excellent.

cptdarel
04-17-2009, 01:20 PM
We've had discussions on the Salt Water Board about the Crab Butter making people seriously ill. * :o ::) ;D
I did not know that, would want anyone to get sick. We/I, have been eating it all our lives as well as our familys, a true delicacy. so I Googled it. there my be more warnings but it all I could find.

see crab butter
http://homecooking.about.com/od/seafood/a/crabterms.htm

and the warning
http://www.applications.dhs.ca.gov/pressreleases/store/PressReleases/72-01.html

Toxic_Waste
04-17-2009, 03:30 PM
I wonder if the warnings about domoic acid concern the "red tide" or other algal blooms. My family always ate crab butter, too.

I haven't tried Phil's cioppino, but I should some day, since the boat is right there at ML harbor. I have never had any I liked nearly as much as my family's "old Italian" recipe, but hey, maybe Phil's will be the one! Sure looks good in photos I have seen. I saw that throw down show on TV. It was fun to watch.

cptdarel
04-18-2009, 12:12 AM
the article says crab from Santa Barbara area, I couldn't find anything from No. Cal. ??????????

I haven't tried Phils either, the price scares me away everytime I go to buy it. *:o

Farrier_Frank
04-18-2009, 07:09 AM
I haven't tried Phils either, the price scares me away everytime I go to buy it.

I'm in the Moss Landing area about ten times a year, which means I usually get two or three days each trip to do a little surf fishing. When I come off the beach, hungry, more often than not I head to Phil's and get a bowl of Cioppino. I know many think it expensive, but for me the $18.95 for a bowl of Phil's Cioppino is money well spent. I've eaten a lot of other homemade Cioppinos that were really good, but I rate Phil's right up there with the best. You get a big, really fresh salad with it, and the bowl of Cioppino is loaded with seafood and usually more than I can eat.

Other times when I'm in that area I'll grab some fish and chips for $8.95 at the Sea Harvest and sit on the deck and watch the boats go by, or treat myself to some Thai food at the Thai restaurant by the corner market. Then, in the summer, sometimes I'll get an outside seat at the Mexican restaurant across from the Trailer Park. It's all good in Moss Landing. Sometimes the fishing's not so good, but the food selection there sure is. *8-)

Hlawatyr
04-18-2009, 07:56 PM
;)Awesome recipe going to give it a try next week thanks, will let you know how it was. :)

cptdarel
04-19-2009, 01:14 AM
phils bucket to go is like $37 bucks, I seldom eat there i get it to go.

that lil Mexicar resturant accross from trailer park is closed.

Bartender
04-19-2009, 10:38 AM
I had cioppino a few months ago that was just crab: meat, legs and claws. My hand smelled like crab for two days ;D. Gotta love the smell...

GH