PDA

View Full Version : Basque Chorizo Recipe

tc
03-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Enjoy Don, I couldn't tell you how many pounds of this I make each year. By the way, the amount of garlic is a relative thing, I usually use more, but make it as garlicy as you like, I do. I kinda build it by smell.

Tom

metalmouth
03-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks TC! Now I need to order my casings. :)

tc
03-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Only about half of mine ever gets to the casing stage, I like to freeze the bulk sausage in about 2lb packages, wrap it in saran wrap real well then into a zip lock. I like the bulk sausage for breakfast burritos and hash's, and prefer the casings in beans, paella and just barbequed on a nice hard roll. I'm getting hungry thinking about this.

Tom

metalmouth
03-27-2009, 05:04 PM
That's a great idea. I'm opening up casings and removing more sausage than I ever eat in the casing. I guess I'm good to go! [smiley=chowtime.gif]

tc
03-28-2009, 04:37 AM
Here is a Recipe I have been making since I was a little kid, we eat quite a bit of this in my House. *If you want to make Lamb Chorizo, substitute 1 lbs of the Pork Shoulder for boneless Leg of Lamb, be careful to trim away most of the Lamb fat, and you may need a little more Pork Fat Back.

Basque Chorizo

2 lbs Pork Shoulder
lbs Pork Fat Back
cup Spanish Onion diced fine
cup minced Garlic
cup Sweet Spanish or Hungarian Paprika
cup Chili Powder
2 tsp ground Cayenne Pepper
4 Tb Red Pepper Flakes
4 Tb Red Wine
4 tsp Kosher Salt
2 tsp Sugar
T tsp coarsely ground Black Pepper
1 tsp Curing Salts dissolved in 1 cup Water, (Optional)

Grind the Pork and Fat Back through a [ch8540] Plate. *In large bowl, combine all ingredients, and mix well, skip the Curing Salts if you are going to cook immediately or hot smoke. *Make sure all ingredients are thoroughly blended.

Stuff into medium Hog casings and tie into 10 lengths, or leave in bulk. *If you added the Curing Salts to the recipe, you can air dry the Sausages in a cool place for two to three weeks. *If you wish to hot smoke the Sausages, cook until an internal temperature of 155. *Chorizo will keep either way for two weeks in a refrigerator or up to six months in a freezer.

Enjoy

Tom

metalmouth
03-28-2009, 04:42 AM
That is awesome! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Can I use this for Lamb as well?

metalmouth
03-28-2009, 04:43 AM
Nevermind :-[

If you want to make Lamb Chorizo, substitute 1 lbs of the Pork Shoulder for boneless Leg of Lamb, be careful to trim away most of the Lamb fat, and you may need a little more Pork Fat Back.

I was drooling on the recipe and didn't read the header. ;D

Rusty_Hooks
03-31-2009, 06:19 AM
........................................ [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif].................................

Thank you oh great one ;)

MontanaN8V
03-31-2009, 07:09 AM
Exactly, thank you oh mighty one. To all those other sausage recipes I have, mesco a routsac. (basque for lick my, well, use your imagination) I still make good linguica, so vish fidea. ( Portegy for, well if you are portugese, you know what that means. (spelling might be off, I just speak the languages.

tc
03-31-2009, 11:04 AM
I've always thought home made Chorizo and Linguica were almost identical in taste, although there are so many local variations with spice, that you can't find two Chorizo's that are alike. There all good, what else can you say, Pork Fat Rules.
:D :D :D :D

Tom

MontanaN8V
04-01-2009, 02:45 AM
Rodger that! I used to buy chorizo in Battle Moutnain and in Gardnerville, then I just started making it. When I shoot a wild pig, I make a lot of it into chorizo or linguica. Italian, breakfast, and other sausages. Usually mix 50/50 pork with boar.

tc
04-01-2009, 06:11 AM
Same hear, we always stopped in Battle Mountain for Chorizo, or if any of our field Electricians were traveling back from points east, we had them stop. You didn't dare go through Battle Mountain without picking some up. It was nice when the LeMare's moved to Carson City, it puts their Chorizo a little closer to home, though nothing beats homemade.

Tom

SuperDave
04-01-2009, 06:24 AM
Now list some recipes how you use it. :)

tc
04-01-2009, 07:07 AM
Now list some recipes how you use it. * :)

I'm working at turning recipe cards and scribbles to word doc's, so I can post, there comming, I don't type that fast.
:o

Tom

walnuts
04-02-2009, 07:49 PM
We make it a little bit different, a little less "spanish", but yeah, the yearly chorizo tradition has been a staple in my house for as long as I can remember. Good times. Until recently, Aita would get a whole pork and butcher it down, using probably 60-80 lbs of the pork to make chorizo. In recent years and his advancing age he decided it would be easier to buy bulk shoulders and fat from the butcher, but it's still just as good.

All we use is homegrown and ground HOT red pepper flakes, coarse sea salt, WHITE wine, lots and lots of garlic and a couple "family" ingredients that I can't name ;). Mix the salt, pepper, and wine in with the ground meat in large containers (we use 20-30 gal tupperware style storage containers)...the garlic goes, coarsely chopped, into pantyhose "socks" with the secret ingredients, which get mixed into the meat as well.

Notice no measurements, it's always been a handful of this, a pinch of that, some of this, some of that...no TBS or Cups. Every batch is a little different, but that makes it fun, IMO.

Store the container in a cool, dry place off the ground, like up on boards to get air underneath (basement or garage depending on climate), and turn/mix the meat by hand at least once a day, preferably more, for a few days to a week. Be sure to test daily for proper salt and heat and adjust as needed. After it's good for you, stuff up your (natural only, no plastic) casings, and enjoy!

We like to vac bag and freeze it immediately, some family members hang them for a week or two first, some just hang it and leave.

BTW, the reason I was told for using a sock for the garlic and other "vegetable" ingredients is that in the old days before refrigeration, if you added it directly to the meat and hung them as was normal, it was common for the garlic to go bad and rot, ruining the sausage. You still get plenty of garlic flavor without adding it directly as well. I guess it's not really an issue anymore, but I still lean towards tradition myself.

Hey, cheers TC, I raise a Picon to you!

troutfan
04-03-2009, 07:12 AM
Yeah I love this stuff! 8-)
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8873/img0244ud2.jpg

1 wheel
04-05-2009, 01:25 PM
tried it today ---great --- thank's

MontanaN8V
04-07-2009, 06:34 PM

Boil it, fry it, bake it, and put it with what ever else is for dinner!

walnuts
04-07-2009, 07:11 PM

Boil it, fry it, bake it, and put it with what ever else is for dinner!

Grill it stuffed or with eggs in bulk...KISS ;)

Rusty_Hooks
04-14-2009, 06:38 PM
scrambled eggs, fried red potatoes, cut the chorizo into chunks 1/2-1 inch, fry the chorizo and some additional garlic in with the potatoes

when you serve it you can either mix in the scrambled eggs or serve them to the side...

OMG....is that breakfast :o