PDA

View Full Version : A little something to go along with Basque Food

tc
04-03-2009, 09:46 AM
For those of you that have never experienced a Picon Punch, there an aquired taste, but having grown-up on these, there's nothing like them,before a Dinner of Basque food.

Tom

Picon Punch

The National Drink of the Basques
2 ounces Amer Picon
Few dashes of grenadine
Soda water
Lemon peel
1 ounce brandy
Coat the inside of a old fashion glass with grenadine. Add the Amer and ice, top with about 4 ounces soda and stir. Twist the lemon peel over the drink and garnish. Float the brandy on top.

Captain Compassion
04-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Thanks again TC.

CC

1 wheel
04-05-2009, 01:32 PM
where can you buy picon ? thank's

tc
04-06-2009, 04:47 PM
where can you buy picon ? * *thank's

You should be able to buy Amer Picon at any Liquor Store, if they don't have, I'm sure they can order it.

Tom

walnuts
04-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Amer Picon is next to impossible to find domestically in my experience. I've had several Bay Area and Northern Cali distributors tell me that they cannot get it anymore as there hasn't been an official US importer/distributor for it since the 80's. It's pretty much a specialty item these days, there isn't a whole lot of call for it in your average bar or liquor store, and the few that DO have a call for it (mostly Basque establishments) usually have their own connections to get it. I've seen Amer Torani (which IS easily attained) substituted for the Picon Amer but IMO it's not quite the same. A reasonable facsimile, but not the real thing.

You can still order it online from GB/Europe http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-7540.aspx but expect the shipping and tax to eclipse the price of the bottle. Or do like a real Basco and smuggle it back from France. ;)

walnuts
04-06-2009, 09:21 PM
A side note...I just found this http://spiritsandcocktails.wordpress.com/2007/09/09/amer-picon/ which has some of the Picon backstory and a recipe for a "imitation" Picon that is, by the author's claim, as close to the real thing as you can get today.