PDA

View Full Version : Caldo Gallego (esp for Mickey)(pics added)

spinfisher
03-27-2009, 04:51 PM
I haven't eaten turnips or turnip greens since the 4th grade when my Mother made me *I feel safe to say I'll never eat them again *

Now, never say never. *;) *Heck, I was uhhh, "well on in years" before I found out thet turnips could be good, and the following recipe turned my idea of sharp greens right around! (and saved me from composting all the greens that came out of the garden with the newly appreciated white turnips *;D)

This can be also made with collards for true southern folk, and kale would do, also. I do think that spinach and chard would be too wimpy in flavor. But, Mickey - leave out the potatoes, and it fits your diet , even! :D

Here's Caldo Gallego, as I make it.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5623/caldo1.jpg

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/3505/caldo2.jpg

Meat:

1/2 lb ham hocks (I prefer ham shanks - more meat, less knuckle, but you want some of the skin)
1/2 lb lean beef (yeah, right! - (I use chuck roast, myself)
1/2 lb salt pork ( this will give you all the salt this dish needs and more. I tried it once, but prefer a bunch of bacon, and I'll salt the dish as needed)

Put the meats in a 4 qt kettle, bring to a boil, and cook for an hour. (I separate the meat and soup here, and refrigerate overnight to let the fat rise and solidify, so I can remove it, before I go on)

Meantime, take and rinse "a big bunch" fresh turnip greens, or take 2 x 10 oz packe frozen greens. - (I read this as 2 lb fresh turnip greens) Chop up and add to the cooking meat. Add a scant tsp sugar, a dash of nutmeg, and a cup of canned canellini beans (white beans).

Cook a half hour. (This is a good time to check the salt. If you use chunk bacon rather than salt pork, you should have had some salt from the start, but not much is needed until the veg start going in)

Meantime, chop one med onion, one med green pepper, and mince a garlic clove. Saute these in bacon drippings ( hey - the recipe doesn't say where the drippings come from, so just deal with it!) Add them to the soup.

Dice 3 medium potatoes, and add to the soup. Add 1 or 2 chorizos, depending on size and preference for the flavor.

Cook 45 more minutes. Remove the meats, and cut into serving pieces and return to the soup. Heat through and serve.

Now this is good! *[smiley=chowtime.gif]

However, at the time that the turnips are producing, it's not necessarily the time you want to eat hot heavy soup. Oh, well... I freeze it for winter, when it's fine, indeed!

metalmouth
03-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Ham, beef and salt pork? You will never know what the other ingredients are. ;D

tc
03-31-2009, 01:00 PM
Looks like a very tasty winter meal,,,,nice.

Tom