PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Pork Spareribs?

Bakkie
03-31-2009, 01:37 AM
What do you got?

DazShooter
03-31-2009, 10:57 AM
I love pork spareribs. Juicier, tastier version of the more expensive baby back. Spareribs are great for grilling but if I'm smoking ribs, baby backs are a better choice. There is too much fat on the spareribs that just tastes funny to me when smoked (low and slow under 250 degrees). That being said I'm pretty picky about my meats.

If you're going to smoke em, under 250 for 4 hours. Try googling the term "Texas Crutch" if you like your ribs really tender to the point the meat doesn't hold on the bone and just falls off. Usually the last hour of 2 uses the Crutch. Apple juice is your friend too.

żżż
03-31-2009, 11:44 AM
What do you want?

Personally I prefer spareribs over baby backs. They are more fatty than bb ribs but much of that is rendered off when I smoke them then grill them (to get a better crust on them). I also like grissle when it's cooked right (tender, not hard and crunchy).

I normally smoke mine for 6 hours. The test for me is when I 'fold' the rack in half - does it yield to the bend? If so, it's done. I don't cook it 'til all the bones fall out. To me that's over done.

Cider vinegar and brown sugar are your other friends... ;)

SuperDave
03-31-2009, 12:36 PM
Apple juice is your friend too.

Cider vinegar and brown sugar are your other friends

During a long smoke process, put your liquid in a spray bottle and spritz the ribs about every 20 - 30 minutes. I like 50/50 apple juice and bourbon or Capt Morgan spiced rum. Put a good dry rub on a couple hours ahead.

tc
03-31-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm fond of a 50-50 mix of Apple Juice and Jack Daniels, I also like usung the Jack Daniels Wood Chips. On top of a Habenero Dry Rub, It's heaven.

Tom