PDA

View Full Version : Tandoori Trout

Zebco Kid
03-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Hello All,

I tried the following rub on some trout I recently smoked. It was delicious. I think the addition of some brown sugar brine (no salt) would be even better. I think it would be great to brine the fish in a sweet solution for a few hours hours, then remove, allow to get tacky, rub with the Tandoori spices, place in smoker. Yum!

Tandoor Spice Mix (add equal amounts to an old spice jar and label).

1 part Ginger
1 part Cumin
1 part Coriander
1 part Paprika
1 part Turmeric
1 part Salt
1 part Cayenne

SuperDave
03-10-2009, 01:07 PM
DG, my sweet technique is to mix a couple tablespoons of brown sugar with a couple tablespoons of maple syrup and paint the filets about 15 - 20 minutes before they are done smoking. The glaze melts into the meat. Your spice mix sounds different than anything I've ever tried. I'll have to try it. Will it work for pork or poultry?

metalmouth
03-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Indian spice mix, Yum! *[smiley=chowtime.gif]

Dave, it is a common meat spice.

Tandoori Chicken come to mind. ;)

Zebco Kid
03-10-2009, 03:13 PM
SuperDave,

Your technique is now mine. You'll surely see it as I advise others in the future. ::)

Yes, as MM points out, Tandoori Chicken is a classic Indian dish. I for one am going home to have Tandoori Pheasant, which I hunted recently. Yum and yum!

By the way, how do you know when the trout are done in the smoker. Although mine taste good, I'm sure they're over cooked. Is it just sight and feel, or is there some other gauge?

DG

metalmouth
03-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Flake it with a fork just like baking. Overdone smoked trout is a bit "tough" to swallow. ;D

SuperDave
03-11-2009, 08:42 AM
DG, if you drink beer or wine, my smoked pheasant with some crackers and a glass of your favorite beverage is a pretty awesome light dinner. My wife and I like it when we come home too tired to cook.