PDA

View Full Version : Water Temperatures?

Rugby Lock
03-14-2014, 08:24 AM
Heya Sniffers!

Got a question for you. Is there a way to correlate the surface temperature to the subsurface temperature to find out with depth the fish will be at? As an example if the temperature is say 65 at the surface how quickly does the temperature go down per foot of depth? 1 degre per foot? Two degrees per foot? I'm trying to get better at placing my bait where the fish are and this should help me do that. Thanks for the help!

Lifted
03-14-2014, 08:36 AM
I don't know the exact ratio, but I've been told at Lake Tahoe for example that below 8ft or something like that it's pretty much always 45-47F. Of course that lake is over 1000ft deep in places with a large amount of cold water, so that would lead me to believe there is no set formula because it will be affected by things like depth, water clarity, sunlight etc.

But scientifically, what you're talking about is referred to as the "thermocline", such as the chart below. That term will help with your research.

http://andstillipersist.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/130926-130926-thermocline.jpg