PDA

View Full Version : Fish handling guide?

Porem
03-17-2014, 10:56 AM
What about a thread to give some proper fish handling guidelines for novice fisherman such as myself. I a generally a consumptive user but when I steelhead fish or catch large striper, bass etc... I like to try and release them. That said I always hear about proper ways for handling and releasing fish that differ by species though I have not found many species guidelines. I always thought you could grab LMB by the lower jaw but just heard about some studies that this may actually Injure them and increase mortality. So how about a species by species C&R fish handling guide. Bass, trout, Striper, sturgeon and maybe some ocean fish like rockfish as I know that can be a problem subject too.

Maybe this is too boring but I would like to know better how to handle my catch.

While on the subject. What fish should you bleed vs not bleed after catching of you plan to keep them?

SHM
03-17-2014, 11:20 AM
Steelhead

When you are near to landing the fish, depending on the surface there, most are rocks try not to drag the fish up the rocks and let it flap around banging it's head. Instead use a net, or a buddy to help you tail a fish.

Once you unhook the fish, tail the fish and use the other hand to support the fish below the pectoral fins. Do not apply pressure to that area, vital organs like the liver are housed in that specific region.

This allows you to lift the fish out of the water and snap a pic. Holding it in the same position, face the fish upstream and let the water run through it's gills. Once the fish is revived, it will let you know by swaying left and right. At this time you are now ready to say goodbye and let it swim another day.

Feel free at add, that's just the way I handle steelhead.

SHM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Porem
03-17-2014, 11:35 AM
Thanks SHM. Can you describe "tail the fish" I assume you mean hold the fish with you hand around the upper portion of the tail section? It is ok to apply some (light) pressure In the area correct?

SHM
03-17-2014, 12:01 PM
Thanks SHM. Can you describe "tail the fish" I assume you mean hold the fish with you hand around the upper portion of the tail section? It is ok to apply some (light) pressure In the area correct?

Exactly. Grab the upper portion of the tail, moderate pressure is allowed and preferred. Some steelheaders use a glove to get a better grip.

SHM

monkey916
03-17-2014, 12:13 PM
bleed any fish you plan to keep...bonk it on the head first...if you can...and cut the gills on both sides...seems to work well for me...

IronClad
03-17-2014, 12:13 PM
This is a pretty great article about the "Grip and grin" sort of thing and how to handle fish and the way it affects them.

Trout dying to get a good photo? (http://www.bishfish.co.nz/articles/fresh/grip-and-kill.htm)

SHM
03-17-2014, 12:17 PM
This is a pretty great article about the "Grip and grin" sort of thing and how to handle fish and the way it affects them.

Trout dying to get a good photo? (http://www.bishfish.co.nz/articles/fresh/grip-and-kill.htm)

That pretty much describes the process.

SHM

salmonid
03-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Good idea for new guys, Porem!

Steelheadmaster gave good advice for Steelhead, salmon, trout.

In general, keep any fish you intend to release in the water for as long as possible.

Best,

What about a thread to give some proper fish handling guidelines for novice fisherman such as myself.

Porem
03-17-2014, 05:47 PM
Lots of good info for trout/salmon/steelhead. What are the general guidelines or Bass. I assume the same principals apply but any variation?

IronClad
03-17-2014, 05:50 PM
For bass you can hold them by the lip but make sure they stay vertical, If you hold them out horizontal without supporting them you can really screw up their jaw

IronClad
03-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Good video from tactical bassin about how to handle bass

http://youtu.be/OxUeP8r3lqo