PDA

View Full Version : Minimum boat requirement to safely fish the western delta (Martinez to Antioch)?

1Lhorn
03-19-2014, 10:40 AM
Hello, first time poster, long time lurker.

I've been looking for a small boat to fish local freshwater lakes (I live in Pleasanton) but would also like to be able to fish the delta since it's pretty close. As I am a boating beginner, I'm kinda requesting your opinion on what you see as the minimum boat that would be needed to safely fish the area between Martinez and Antioch. I've heard people make reference to there being risk of choppiness, etc. I would be somewhat selective about when I go but don't want to have to wait for the rare times when it's perfectly smooth either.

I want to stay a bit small because my tow vehicle has a 3500 tow capacity. I guess I've narrowed it down to a V-hull aluminum boat 12-16 feet in length. Does that sound big enough? There are always a ton on CL averaging about $1500 with a motor +/- trolling motor.
Stay away from jon boats and bass boats?

Thanks.

LURKER916
03-19-2014, 12:54 PM
Welcome!
If you haven't yet, try a kayak. If you are in ok shape and wanna real adventure your 1500 bucks can get you fully loaded on an awesome fishing kayak!
You won't be limited to fish anywhere, ocean, rivers, delta, lakes, etc.... Stay outa the aqueducts that's just illegal and insane in a kayak but other than that the sky's the limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nayr
03-19-2014, 03:16 PM
You can fish out of a v-hull 12ftr out there, you just need to mindful of weather conditions. I havnt put my little 12ftr in at Antioch but I do frequent martinez and fish from benecia up through the mothball. In regards to what boat to safely fish from, try and get something with a newer motor. I fish my 12ft gregor in sf bay out of richmond, in martinez, tomales bay crabbing, and whatever lake /river. Mainly because I have a ton of faith in the motor. Though I wouldnt mind upgrading to a bigger boat( who wouldnt). My rule of thumb for getting my boat out is no wind gusts over 10 mph in the days forecast. While 10mph isnt very fast it can create some big chop if its blowing against an out going tide in certain areas. I was new to all this stuff a few years back and I just kinda started going out to see what I felt comfortable with. I can recall days where I got to the launch and didnt put the boat in because I didnt like how rough it was. But hey feel free to pm me with any questions or continue posting them here.
Or as stated above. Get a kayak, I want one pretty bad

heatsource
03-19-2014, 03:27 PM
Nice post Nayr
I also fish suisun/fleet in my 12' alum. i like to launch in Montezuma slough incase the wind is bad. that way i didn't waste a 2hr drive just because of a lil wind...

1Lhorn
03-19-2014, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the replies. I definitely don't want to mess around with an older motor. I'll go as modern, reliable as I can. It's good to know that even fishing in the bay is not unheard of in these smaller V hull boats when weather is cooperative.

My plan is to see how I like it before dropping a low more money on a new V hull boat.
I know people fish the ocean in kayaks. I always wondered how come no one bats an eye at that, but people think you might be a bit loco doing it in a 14 foot V hull? The boats has got to be more stable than a kayak. I guess if a kayak flips, it's not a as bad getting back on compared to capsizing a regular boat.

Thanks

Skipjacker707
03-20-2014, 02:21 PM
Get at least a 14 footer. I mean if you are in the market for a boat once you buy a 12 footer you will wish you would have got one with a couple extra feet. Little more roomy and may also be a little more stable. Look for a 14ft klamath with a 15-25 hp 4 stroke motor. Probably be more around 2-3k but would be a great boat on good weather days!