PDA

View Full Version : Berkeley Flats Unicorn Fishing

kris k
04-14-2014, 09:40 AM
Hit the Berkeley flats yesterday for some Halibut trolling with the wife and a buddy (I'm yet to be convinced that halibut exist, but figured I'd give it a try)

Trolled brined herring and anchovies behind dodgers from 9 am to 3 pm. Also drifted shiners for a short while. Trolling speed 2-2.5 mph. Worked the area from in front of the marina to Richmond, then past the peir towards the barges at the bay bridge. 1 hookup just between the peir and the green channel marker #6. Came unbuttoned after 5 seconds.

Decided yet again to give up on halibut....until this morning. Now that the skunk isn't so fresh im ready to get back at it. Hopefully later in the week.

Saw one nice sized fish boated by the lovely Martha halfway between the launch and Alcatraz and heard there were about 6 fish brought back to the dock. Seems like it was a tough day for most as the 5 boats I talked to had empty boxes.

MoMoney
04-14-2014, 04:52 PM
Sometimes its tough out there.Be patient On my only Halibut outing this year I didn't get a fish till 6 or 7 hours into the day.Thats a lotta sore butt time in a little boat.Many times I remember our 3 or 4 fish would come after 3:00pm when its windy,and we were rockin and rolling in the boat but our persistence usually put a few fish in the boat when most others gave up or got "blown off" the water.Nayr scored some fish yesterday and 1 today but I bet if you ask hes trolled many hours of blanks this year ad previous years.Hopefully you get rewarded on the next trip!!Thanks for reporting!!

kris k
04-14-2014, 06:47 PM
Thanks man. It's funny how after hours of coming up empty handed I start thinking...."that's enough halibut fishing for me".....then once I get home, hope starts to rise for the next trip. Then by the next morning I've got the bug to get back after em. Same process applies to targeting any species. Particularly those which I have limited experience hunting.

By this point im fired up for the next trip.

nayr
04-14-2014, 07:09 PM
Kinda tough to admit but I trolled a bunch last year and never hooked a halibut. It seems there are a good amount of fish in the bay this year though. Thanks for posting
Best of luck on your next outing man!

Skipjacker707
04-14-2014, 09:22 PM
Kris there is some really good unicorn tides coming up in a couple weeks. Let's go give another shot!

kris k
04-14-2014, 09:54 PM
Yeah Aaron. I hear the phase of the moon is also good for sasquatch hunting towards the middle of June. We should take a stab at that too.....

But yeah, for sure, what day you thinking?

kris k
04-14-2014, 09:55 PM
I might sneak out Thursday from 6 am to noon just for sh!ts and giggles if you don't have anything going on.