PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your catfish?

trev1981
04-12-2007, 02:06 PM
How do you like to cook your catfish?

here are few

Beer Batter Fried Catfish
* 1/2 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup cornstarch
* 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
* 1 tablespoon garlic powder
* 1 teaspoon Everglade seasoning, optional
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
* 3/4 cup room-temperature beer
* 1 large egg, lightly beaten
* Vegetable oil
* 1 pound Catfish fillets, cut into 3 to 4 inch wide strips

1. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, Cajun seasoning, garlic powder, Everglades seasoning (if using), baking powder, paprika, white and red peppers and oregano.
2. If not using Everglade seasoning, add 1/2 teaspoon salt.
3. Whisk in beer and egg until smooth.
4. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
5. When ready to cook: In a deep skillet or large pan, pour vegetable oil to the depth of 3 inches; heat to 375F.
6. Stir batter and fold in catfish. When oil is hot, lift fish strips with tongs, draining excess batter; place catfish in oil several pieces at a time (do not over crowd).
7. Fry until well browned on all sides, about 3 minutes. Remove to paper towels to drain. Keep warm, repeat with remaining catfish.

Southwestern Pan-Fried Catfish

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Catfish fillets
Pinch of chili powder
1/4 cup clarified butter or canola oil
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup chopped green chili peppers
1 tablespoon finely chopped tomato
1/2 tablespoon butter or margarine
1/2 tablespoon chopped green onion

1. Place flour in a shallow dish or on a piece of wax paper; season with salt and pepper. Lightly coat catfish fillets with seasoned flour. Set aside on a wax paper-lined baking sheet. Dust fillets with chili powder.
2. Place a large skillet over medium heat. Pour in clarified butter or canola oil. Add garlic and saute until lightly browned. Place catfish fillets in pan and cook over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes or until browned. Turn fillets over and cook 1 minute more. Add wine, chili peppers, tomato and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cover and cook until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
3. Place fillets on serving plates. Add butter and green onion to sauce in skillet. Stir until blended and pour over catfish.

scfisher831
04-12-2007, 07:02 PM
trev1981,Those are some good lookin recepies.I'm going to try them.I like my catfish breaded and fryed in oil.I like doing my rockcod the same way too.Thanx

fishonandon
04-29-2007, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the tips!

wildturkey
05-12-2007, 07:31 AM
A while back my neighbor and I brought home a 10 pounder and after gutting it just dropped it un-skinned onto the BBQ and after cooking just pulled the meat off. Tasted great and we ate the "whole thing" Idon't know the does or don'ts about doing it that way, any feed back???

egredsox04
04-07-2008, 01:00 AM
I like my Catfish swimming away from me, i tried it once and it tasted like mud, it was from some fish and chips place, never had it fresh out of water, but didnt enjoy the mud taste at all.

Crass
04-07-2008, 06:49 PM
i take my catfish po-boy style

EastBayAngler
04-07-2008, 06:57 PM
I prepare my catfish with an 18 pack of budlight and a few shots of Jagermeister!...JK!

Corn meal milled, and old bay all the way! ;)

riverboi
04-25-2008, 12:48 PM
I always catch and release but I think those recipes changed my mind....

Jeff213
05-14-2008, 11:05 PM
I always soak my catfish fillets over night in water inside the fridge. Personally I think this gets rid of the muddy flavor. I have had catfish from the fish farm and catfish that I have soaked over night.. the frozen stuff was disgusting.. Mine were AMAZING.

Heres some of the catfish from the last time I went catfishing.
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/925/catfishde0.jpg