PDA

View Full Version : Trout Scale

Seon
10-27-2007, 05:46 AM
Phishinfool2 and I were discussing if it's necessary to remove the trout's scale.

So I ask you trout fishermen and fisherwoman, do you remove the scale? Or do you just 'gut' em then fry them up?

_Gone_Fishin_
10-27-2007, 07:45 AM
I don't remove the scales on a trout.

I usually BBQ them and the skin either sticks to the foil or it peels right off the fish like a banana! *[smiley=banana.gif]

TeleComCal
10-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Depends on how I am preparing them. If they are laeg enough and I fillet, I skin them after I have removed the fillets anf pin bones. Otherwise, I agree with gone fishin.....The skin peels off real easy like when the the trout is cooked, just like the bones coming out easily when fully cooked.

Phishinfool2
10-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Remove the scales heck no as I stated yesterday they are protein ;D not to mention they help fill you up and possibly give you something to pick out of your teeth after dinner.

Jimbo

wefish5
10-27-2007, 03:45 PM
No, we never remove the scales off our trout. As mentioned earlier, when you wrap them in foil, the skin usually sticks to the foil.

Troutoholic
10-27-2007, 09:24 PM
yup depends on how you cook it... 8-)

joshc40
10-27-2007, 09:35 PM
I eat the scales however it is cooked. You can't really taste or even feel the scales really. I usually just eat everything except the bones! ;D

Josh

Jetspray
10-27-2007, 09:48 PM
I poach most of my trout, not illegaly just steam poaching. When you poach trout you need only cut off the fins and remove the gills. I use powdered real lemon (new stuff) with fresh ground pepper, butter, Chef Prudomes Seafood Majic, in release aluminum foil (renolds brand). I cook it over a Alder wood fire low side heat (puncture some holes on the top of the foil). That is the ticket, don't scale it the fats and oils from them and the head add to the flavor immensly.....Jetspray

Mackattack
10-27-2007, 10:01 PM
As others have stated cook it as you caught it. But i did have one for lunch one day that was filleted and cooked without the skin and encrusted with almonds. That may have been the best trout i ever ate.(could have been the date i had lunch with that day-she was hot)

Mackattack [smiley=chowtime.gif]

Phishinfool2
10-27-2007, 11:59 PM
Mack was it the fish fillet or her fillet you were trying????? ::) ;D ;D ;D

Yes I am jealous you single bast ards.. >:( ;D :( >:(

Jimbo...

MB_Kevin
10-28-2007, 12:20 AM
Or you can do like that idiot on man vs wild and just gut them and start chewing on them. No need to cook them even with a fire ::) I would like for him to slow down and show us him actually finishing one instead of him just saying you can eat them like this and chewing on it for a second and moving on to the next clip. :-?

Seon
10-28-2007, 05:42 AM
Or you can do like that idiot on man vs wild and just gut them and start chewing on them. *No need to cook them even with a fire ::) *I would like for him to slow down and show us him actually finishing one instead of him just saying you can eat them like this and chewing on it for a second and moving on to the next clip. :-?

Sushi ;D