PDA

View Full Version : Wood Choice for Smoking

PlugROCKSTAR
01-05-2006, 07:24 PM
This chart was e-mailed to me. I don't know where it came from. I thought it might be helpful for Newbie's.

Oak- A heavy smoke flavor. Any oak will do. The second most popular smoking wood. Red meat, pork, fish, and some wild game.

Hickory- Strong, smoky taste. The most common smoking wood. Good with any meat.

Mesquite- Sweet light taste. My personal favorite. Great with all meats. Especially good with ribs, lamb, and vegetables.

Pecan- Nice taste. Lighter than hickory. Good with almost anything.

Apple- Sweet, fruity smoke taste. Beef, poultry, game, pork (especially ham).

Acacia- Similar to mesquite, but not as strong. Most meats. Most vegetables. Good with beef.

Almond- A nutty sweet flavor. Good with all meats.

Alder- Very delicate. Slightly sweet. Fish, pork, poultry.

Apricot- Milder and sweeter than Hickory. Good with most meats

Ash - Burns fast. Light but distinct flavor. Red meats and fish.

Birch - Slightly sweet. Good with pork and poultry.

Cherry - Slightly sweet fruity flavor. Good with all meats.

Grape vines- Similar to fruit woods. Good with all meats

Grapefruit - Medium smoke flavor. Slight hint of fruit. Good with beef, poultry, and pork.

Lemon- Medium smoke flavor. Slight hint of fruit. Good with beef, poultry, and pork.

Lilac - Very light smoke flavor. Good with seafood and lamb.

Farrier_Frank
01-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Shoot 916, that chart is great for "oldies" as well as "newbie's". ;) Grapes? I got lots of grapes. I just pruned them, too. Thankfully I haven't burned them yet.

IT asked me this afternoon if I wanted his old smoker and I jumped on it. Turns out he just ordered the same smoker you just bought. You ought to get a commission for all the pictures you posted of it.

PlugROCKSTAR
01-05-2006, 09:05 PM
got any other wood you can spare? i really like Hickory and Apple and would love to try something new.

fishrman4life
01-05-2006, 10:18 PM
I dont know why, but cedar chips seem to be great for gamey tasting meat such as duck. I've also been quite curious as to what redwood would taste like. Maybe on a roast with fresh herbs tied to the outside of the meat. MMMMMMM

ITUKAWAL
01-06-2006, 07:14 AM
You must have been reading my mind Carlo. This was a question I was going to ask you today - thanks. Is there a good source of wood chips that can be bought online ???

SuperDave
01-06-2006, 07:51 AM
When I was in the California Backyard store, they had every fruit tree imaginable in either chips or pellets. The also had a few flavored chips like wine barrel chips. There was definitely a wide variety. Carlo's chart will help us know what to experiment with.

PlugROCKSTAR
01-06-2006, 08:17 AM
California Backyard ehh. Thanks Dave, I will go there when i have some pennies saved. ;D

ITUKAWAL
01-06-2006, 08:33 AM
PorkyPittsBBQ has a small selection:

http://www.easycart.net/PorkyPittsBBQ/Wood_chips.html

Ron G
01-06-2006, 09:12 AM
BBQ Galore has several different kinds of wood chips. If you are looking for wood logs for larger smokers, take a look at Lazzari's cooking wood. That is where I buy all of my Apple and Charcoaled Mesquite for cooking. I use Oak for heat, Apple, Almond and Alder for flavor. Lazzari's is loacted in Brisbane and there prices for wood (if you pick it up) is very resonable. :)

www.firedupbbq.net

TahoeJeff
01-06-2006, 11:04 AM
For freebies I go up to the higher altitude forests and gather Juniper (very similar to Cedar) and Mountain Mahogany. Both are great for Trout and Salmon!

ghostfish_slayer
01-06-2006, 06:23 PM
i did plum and apricot trimmings on the last batch of salmon..

Tin_Can
01-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Has anybody used manzanita I add it to the charcoals after I soak it in water for a few hours works very well on all meat,poultry, and fish just watch the heat it can get hot.If any body would like some I got a bunch .
T C

Jan_from_Humboldt
01-06-2006, 07:19 PM
I dont know why, but cedar chips seem to be great for gamey tasting meat such as duck. I've also been quite curious as to what redwood would taste like. Maybe on a roast with fresh herbs tied to the outside of the meat. MMMMMMM

Redwood is great for spotted owl.

also look here for lots of smoking and BBQ ideas

http://www.jurassicpork.com/Recipes.asp

Sierra_hillbilly
01-08-2006, 11:20 PM
COME ON!!!! They sell wood chips at walmart in the fishing/camping section. I just bought 5 bags at the Placerville walmart last week. I got cherry, apple, hickory, and mesquite. The chips are in plastic bags and are made by lurh Jensen. I also really enjoy using oak. When I cut my wood for the winter I keep all of the chips from the saw. I also have piles of apple at my parents house. We chip most of the apple wood after pruning. We own an apple ranch in apple hill.

ITUKAWAL
01-09-2006, 07:05 AM
Well that solves the wood chip question. And oh yeah, hillbilly, on my next trip off the divide to P-ville Walmart I'll swing by and bag up some of that apple. Beyond a doubt my fav ;D ;D

Sierra_hillbilly
01-09-2006, 09:20 PM
It's just about time to prune the apples this year. When We prune I'll set aside a few garbage bags full of chips for sniffers. Anyone interested PM me and I'll get some for you.
S_h

Fishmeister
01-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Speaking of Bar B Que's Galore, have you ever tried the chipped up Jack Daniel's barrels they sell. Could just stick my head in the bag and breath for an hour. Real good on the BBQ for roast beef.

Longs also carries the Luhr Jensen bags of smoking wood.

PlugROCKSTAR
07-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Just wanted to bump this thread [smiley=smiley_up.gif]. New Smoker Noob's are coming. ;D

ker-gert-ker
07-03-2007, 10:34 PM
Just wanted to bump this thread [smiley=smiley_up.gif]. New Smoker Noob's are coming. ;D

Noticed there is a couple woods that should be mentioned for smoking (and grilling), and that is Madrone and Manzanita.

Madrone gives a flavor halfway between Alder and Mesquite, it is a gentle flavor and not overpowering. It is good on salmon, but absolutely rocks on sturgeon and trout (AND Venison).

Manzanita is a little stronger flavor than Madrone.

I use Madrone exclusively on my grill, when grilling salmon I mix Madrone and Alder together.

TP
07-04-2007, 05:51 PM
I can still get apple chips for locals in my area. Anyone on the divide or placerville to pollock area can swing by and get chips from me any time.

Send me a PM for info.

PlugROCKSTAR
07-05-2007, 11:45 AM
I can still get apple chips for locals in my area. Anyone on the divide or placerville to pollock area can swing by and get chips from me any time.

Send me a PM for info.

S_H,

I'm up in Marshall Hospital alot. How far are you from Downtown Placerville?

fishdude76
07-05-2007, 05:54 PM
I just picked up some apple and pecan at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Not sure what to use the pecan on, any suggestions?

Kneedeep
07-09-2007, 08:07 PM
SeventySix I've never had a smoked pie, but if your willing to giver a go I'll try a bite. :) It says on the first post on this thread, that pecan goes good with just about anything. If you smoke the pie, I'll smoke the Ice Cream. ;) ;D
Kneedeep

fishdude76
07-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the heads up Knee. I know I looked through there I must have missed it in all the excitement.

Well maybe at Pyramid fest we'll have to give the smoked pecan pie and ice cream a shot ;D

I'll post up when I figure out a good smoked pecan crusted kokenee recipe. May have to give that a shot here this weekend. ;)

shon42073
07-14-2007, 09:33 AM
This may sound weird but has anyone tried dried corn cobs ? I heard it was good ?

hammerbm
07-27-2007, 06:59 AM
dont forget dried herb stems such as basil sage or rosemary, sugarcane trimmings and pinapple trimmings as well. ;D I love smoked food! And as far as woods I use whole pecan logs or plain hardwood charcoal for fuel and cherry or apple for smoke. Ive been using apircot alot latley too.

hammerbm
07-27-2007, 01:59 PM
www.bbqgalore.com best place ive been for bbq supplies and I get all of my wood from here. Next to sportsmans or basspro i could easily spend all day in there stores. Oh.....and someone had mentioned buying wood chips from wal-mart or longs, osh even sells them too but, ive found that certain brands are actually a combination of whatever wood is specified and alder or something else. Just a heads up, Ive used them and they are fine but it isnt the same as true apple or cherry chunks you can get at bqq supply places. And in my opinion chunks are way better than chips, unless of course you using a gas grill. The sweet smell of apple wood coming off your meats is intoxicating!!! And someone had also mentioned the Jack daniels chips, WOW! they are so fragrant and I even soak mine in some extra jack thats been watered down. Did i mention i love smoking food?

SuperDave
08-27-2007, 06:13 PM
For those with an electric smoker, I was unsure if many of the small chips or pellets I see available would work in an electric. I experimented with a foil pouch filled with the pellets and it worked just fine. I had previously only used chunks but this will open a lot of other flavors for me.

TP
09-01-2007, 09:27 AM
I use a metal coffee can cut off about an inch deep. I fill it will chips and let ' er rip.

FatCat
09-02-2007, 07:51 AM
What a great topic! I take a few weeks off and look at what I miss. I typically use alder and apple (in varying proportions) for fish, and mesquite for red meat and chicken.

I do not recommend cherry for fish, by the way. But it is great on tritip!

What I would really like to try is citrus (lemon and orange sound intriguing).

TP
09-02-2007, 07:01 PM
I've used oak chips from my wood cutting in the fall and they work okay. It gives a really dry smoky flavor. Works okay for larger fish

SuperDave
09-03-2007, 06:46 AM
I have a branch on my apricot tree that I've wanted to prune all year. I'm going to wait until the tree goes dormant this fall and see how much smoking wood I can get out of it.

SuperDave
09-24-2007, 10:27 AM
I threw a couple pellets of sugar maple on the coals when I was grilling my steaks this weekend and it added just the perfect hint of smoke without over powering the steak. Nice flavor.