PDA

View Full Version : Grilled Kokanee (or salmon)

SuperDave
08-02-2007, 09:37 AM
When doing Kokanee or trout fillets, I prefer to leave the skin on one side so that the fillet holds together during cooking. Some prefer to skin the fillet and that is okay too.

1 cup mayonaise
1 Tbsp dill weed
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp itallian seasoning

Mix all ingredients until well blended and butter the surface of the fillets. Put the fillets in the refrigerator for about 4 hours. Spray your grill meat/fish/vegie basket with Pam and lay out the fillets in the basket. BBQ over medium low heat for a few minutes on each side. Fish goes well with some fresh grilled asparagus and saffron rice.

FreshwaterFrank
08-03-2007, 04:34 PM
That sounds delicious SD, but I am too lazy for that. Most of my kokes get smoked & canned, but fresh cooked I do all kokes & trout the same. I wrap them in tinfoil that I have coated with Trader Joe's Garlic flavored olive oil. Inside the body I place a few slivers of shaved ice. Then they go in the oven, or on the fire...whatever. The ice steams them, & the garlic infuses them. Rosemary is a good spice for the epicures. Face it, it's hard to screw up fresh kokanee....but simple is best IMO.

Toxic_Waste
08-06-2007, 09:49 AM
I have a question about kokanees. I've only caught and cooked the ones out of Bass Lake, here in Eastern Madera County. Every one of them was so slimey! What's up with that? Are all kokes slime-balls or is that something particular to the BL ones? It reminded me of when I used to catch eels in the Deep South. The meat is good, but that slime has me turned off. :(

Ron G
08-07-2007, 06:58 PM
I like to grill them on an Alder plank. If you've never grilled with planks before, you should give it a try. :)

FreshwaterFrank
08-07-2007, 08:26 PM
I have a question about kokanees. I've only caught and cooked the ones out of Bass Lake, here in Eastern Madera County. Every one of them was so slimey! What's up with that? Are all kokes slime-balls or is that something particular to the BL ones? It reminded me of when I used to catch eels in the Deep South. The meat is good, but that slime has me turned off. :(

I'd say that's some weird BL syndrome, because the Melones kokes don't have that feature. Salmon in AK exhibited that feature when I dealt in metric tons of the things. The correct term is gurry. Last chore of the day/night was going out to the bay, scrubbing down the bottom with Joy detergent (makes suds in cold salt water), and then pulling the plug and zooming around at top speed to clean out the goo. I always bleed & gut my kokes immediately, & then put them on ice. If you do that, you will never see any gurry.

MB_Kevin
08-07-2007, 10:05 PM
I have a question about kokanees. I've only caught and cooked the ones out of Bass Lake, here in Eastern Madera County. Every one of them was so slimey! What's up with that? Are all kokes slime-balls or is that something particular to the BL ones? It reminded me of when I used to catch eels in the Deep South. The meat is good, but that slime has me turned off. * :(
I noticed if you just throw any fish into an Ice chest and take them home they have a slime on them that drips off. I dont know if that is what you did but I have done it a few times.

Toxic_Waste
08-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Hmmm....I will make sure to bleed and gut them right away and see if that makes a difference. But most of the time, when I catch kokes, I also catch a few rainbow trout, and they don't slime up on me. I need to go elsewhere and try fishing for some other kokes. Because I am limited in my experience with them, I am not sure how they might differ in other areas.

I wasn't impressed by the "fight" the Bass Lake kokes put up. The rainbows fought much harder, jumping, etc., and were way more fun and challenging. There were times I didn't even know I had a koke while trolling cuz they didn't even trip the downrigger release. I'd finally reel in after not noticing any bites and see that there was one on the line!

Thanks for the replies.

spinfisher
08-19-2007, 10:01 PM
Is the lake alkaline? We've noticed that fish from alkaline waters seem to generate a lot of slime from the skin. Pyramid lake trout can be that way, too. Maybe it is protective against the alkaline water. It washes off, and does not harm the flavor of the fish. (but yes, it can be gross looking.... :P)

MB_Kevin
08-19-2007, 10:24 PM
Hmmm....I will make sure to bleed and gut them right away and see if that makes a difference. But most of the time, when I catch kokes, I also catch a few rainbow trout, and they don't slime up on me. I need to go elsewhere and try fishing for some other kokes. *Because I am limited in my experience with them, I am not sure how they might differ in other areas.

I wasn't impressed by the "fight" the Bass Lake kokes put up. The rainbows fought much harder, jumping, etc., and were way more fun and challenging. There were times I didn't even know I had a koke while trolling cuz they didn't even trip the downrigger release. I'd finally reel in after not noticing any bites and see that there was one on the line!

Thanks for the replies.
I also have heard to wipe off the slime with a paper towel before you put them in the ice chest. It was called field dressing them. Then I think you would rap them up and put them in the ice chest. This was after gutting them and cutting out the gills. It sounds like a good Idea but I never have taken the time to do it. I spend all my time on the water fishing. ;)

OH and Superdave I have added mayonnaise into my BBQ recipe for striper's and I like it. Thanks for the info.

JD
08-19-2007, 11:05 PM
I believe I'll give that a try on some fresh Eagle Lake Trout next month.

twoelk48
08-20-2007, 05:22 PM
;D Literally rolling on the floor laughing. Let's get this straight once and for all ok? First fish slime on the oustside can be compensated for simply by nnot letting it touch what meat yor going to eat, hence ry grabbing fish with a towel nont your hand. To bled or not I can't tell the difference so do as you please. Most important thin is ice ice ice, immediately ice fish both from the top and the bottom. I go through minimum of 20 pounds of ice per day of fishing, Kent

cptdarel
08-21-2007, 03:31 PM
I have a question about kokanees. I've only caught and cooked the ones out of Bass Lake, here in Eastern Madera County. Every one of them was so slimey! What's up with that? Are all kokes slime-balls or is that something particular to the BL ones? It reminded me of when I used to catch eels in the Deep South. The meat is good, but that slime has me turned off. * :(
let them set 4 24 hours, the scrub and or hose down, this goes for most fish, it needs to slime out, you may be cooking it to fresh, huh? ;)

TNT
08-25-2007, 04:46 PM
We were cookin' Kokes one day after a fishing trip and my bud did the following:
Weber BBQ with coals way hot on one side.
Started a small log of Alder on the coals until it was burning good.
Fillets (skin down) on opposite side of grill from Alder and coals.
Dill sprinkled over fillets.
Lid on BBQ with open vent over fillets (away from coals).
The smoke was drawn across fillets and out vent.
Cook until done (a couple of minutes).

It was very tasty.