PDA

View Full Version : Shad roe

hempy
05-18-2007, 10:01 PM
I got @ 3 lbs of shad roe, whats the best way to eat it. I hear of mixing it in eggs but don't know the recipe. Also heard of deep frying, anyone ever try that? Post up your best shad roe recipe. I'll try to give it a try

spinfisher
05-19-2007, 09:35 AM
I'll have to look a ways back - my last shad roe was more than 30 yr ago, but I remember it's good! As I recall, I used to poach the whole roes very gently until they were done, then you could do whatever you want with them. They get nice and firm, you can dice them into salad or scrambled eggs, or slice and fry pieces. I remember I used to put a sauce on them and run it inder the broiler, but the old brain can't quite pull out the recipe - I'll ask Doc if he recalls, and see if it's tucked in one of my old recipe books.

sigh [smiley=old.gif]

hempy
05-19-2007, 07:27 PM
thanks spinfisher!

drstressor
05-20-2007, 06:13 PM
The key thing is to par boil the roe in salted water with a little vinegar or lemon juice. *I think we used to go about 10 minutes. *Then you can do just about anything with it. *But if you don't puncture the membrane a couple of times, the whole thing will explode when you boil it.

If I remember correctly, the sauce spinfisher it recalling was a white sour cream sauce with diced scallions or leeks.

sethonious
05-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Wrap the soft roe in bacon and broil or if you don't have a broiler setting on the oven (like me) just fry them. Sqeeze of lemon to finish.