PDA

View Full Version : `frog legs

oroville
03-23-2007, 08:06 PM
anybody know the best way? I like em Bar-b-qued. fryin can be fun but you probly gotta boil em first.
catchin em- Feather river in the hot summer nights with a 3 d cell mag light, frog gig, gunnysack in a small boat. watch out tho, one time we hit a narrow current and capsized, one guy almost drowned. saved the ice chest and beer. .

MB_Kevin
03-24-2007, 10:31 PM
We used to fry them when I was a kid but don't remember the details. They were good but have not tried any lately. We caught one a while back but could not get anymore so we let it go. I want to let Panfish popper and my daughter try some 8-)

metalmouth
03-25-2007, 03:01 AM
Sauteed Legs:

Ingredients:
4 pair frog legs
4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1/4 cup fine bread crumbs

Directions:

Heat butter, garlic, and parsley over medium high heat in sautee pan. Add frog legs and sautee until tender. Roll frog legs in fine bread crumbs before serving.

metalmouth
03-25-2007, 03:03 AM
Buttermilk Fried Frog Legs

Ingredients:
16 small pairs frog legs
OR
8 large pairs frog legs
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup corn flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Lard or oil (for frying)
1 bunch parsley, washed and dried
2 lemons, quartered

Directions:

Prepare legs by cutting off backbone (if any remains) with a pair of poultry shears. Cut legs in two where they join. If they are fresh, parboil 3 minutes in acidulated water (1 portion lemon juice to 4 portions water), drain and pat dry, Soak for 1 hour in the buttermilk.

Mix flour with seasonings in a paper bag, add legs, and shake to coat them. Heat lard or oil until hot but not smoking, 375 degrees F, and fry legs a few at a time until golden brown, 2 or 3 minutes. Fry parsley about 1 minute, drain on paper towels, and serve with the frog legs and lemon quarters.

This recipe for Fried Frog Legs serves/makes 4

metalmouth
03-25-2007, 03:05 AM
Cajun Legs:

Ingredients:
16 good sized frog legs
1 cup shortening
1/2 cup flour
3 cups milk
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 dash white pepper
1 dash oregano
1 dash rosemary
salt to taste

Directions:

Skin, clean and rinse frog legs well. Cover with whole milk and garlic juice in a plastic mixing bowl, refrigerate overnight. Pat dry, season with paprika, onion powder, cayenne, black pepper and desired amount of salt. Add white pepper, oregano and rosemary to the flour. Heat shortening in a skillet. Lightly flour the frog legs and fry until golden brown.

This recipe for Cajun Frog Legs serves/makes 4

Steve_M
03-25-2007, 11:03 AM
No way. [smiley=elmo.gif] [smiley=elmo.gif] [smiley=elmo.gif] [smiley=elmo.gif] [smiley=elmo.gif] [smiley=elmo.gif] [smiley=elmo.gif] [smiley=elmo.gif] [smiley=elmo.gif]

MB_Kevin
03-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Sounds good,

All I need now is some bull frogs :-/ ;D

MB_Kevin
03-25-2007, 09:55 PM
My luck I will get 8-16 of them home and my daughter will want to keep them as pets again >:(

spinfisher
03-25-2007, 10:02 PM
The key is lots of garlic, and don't look at them too closely once they've been skinned.... :-X

I do like them - and as many bullfrogs you can get out of here, where they are killing the native frogs, the better.

But, in general, I'd be more on the side of the frog... :-/

Mr_Ed
04-24-2007, 06:37 PM
In the Willows Ca. area we saved the whole frog minus the feet and head, because they were so big !! ( 18" )

We also soaked them in salt water to get rid of the blood and to
get rid of any bad taste c/o the muddy waters from the canals. (8 hrs)

Now that the meat is in "Prime shape" , you can rinse and put into
milk, butter milk or what ever............ ;)