PDA

View Full Version : Moving cooking oil back to its jug

Leadhead
03-20-2007, 09:56 AM
I really like using my shallow pan that came with my turkey fryer for cookin' my catch. The downside is clean-up, especially pumping/filtering the oil back to the jug. I've used two different D-cell battery powered pumps that both failed to lift the oil through the filter and up and into the jug. These products are junk. >:( The marketing people for these products are to be commended. :P
Is anyone out there using something different that does the job well?
Many thanks. :)

TP
03-20-2007, 10:02 AM
I put a funnel in the jug then inside the funnel I put cheese cloth. It filters pretty good. I've also been told that if you fry some potatoes in the oil after you fry a couple turkeys it will take the oder and taste from the birds out of the oil. It seems to work for me.

metalmouth
03-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Sh, thanks for the tip, I'll try the potato trick with my deep fryer oil for fish!

MM

spinfisher
03-20-2007, 01:51 PM
A slice of fresh ginger will work to freshen up used oil, too.

Leadhead
03-20-2007, 09:02 PM
I appreciate the feedback. I've done the automotive funnel and cheese cloth and the potatoes. Haven't tried the ginger, though.
I've searched the internet for different pumps and haven't found anything really different. Cabela's has a pump that runs on AC and is shown in a photograph. It looks like the battery model with a cord attached and I'm skeptical. I was hoping maybe someone might have gone this route already and had something good to say.
Thanks again for the input. :)