PDA

View Full Version : Oven smoking steelhead quick and easy

ocean_314
02-24-2007, 08:23 PM
I loved smoked salmon and steelhead but dont have the time to smoke them for 8 hours. I tired to see if i could smoke them in the oven and it worked great.
Heres how. I maranaide them in a teryaki sauce that i make. i heat the oven to 450 and then put the fliets in a glass baking dish with foil on the bottom and sides. I put the filets in the dish and baked for 25 minutes. I then pour off all the liquid that comes out of the fish and baked for another 20 to 30 minutes. Check the fish every 10 minutes or so for the desired dryness.
If you want you can add a glaze of some kind after the first 10 minute check. For a more smokey flavor you can add some liquid smoke.

ocean_314
02-24-2007, 08:24 PM
Woops sorry i heat the oven to 475% not 450

sk8erfish
02-25-2007, 12:11 AM
You should try curing salmon (gravlax) this way,Lay the fillets on a chopping board, skin side up.

Scrape away the scales from the tail going in the direction towards the head.

Rinse and dry the fillets. Use a tweezers or pincers and remove the bones that are in the back fillet.

Some potato peelers are also effective for this purpose.

Coarsely chop a bunch of fresh dill. You can also use the stalks. Coarsely crush whole pepper by rolling with a rolling pin over the bag, or use a mortar and pestle.

Mix a pinch of coarsely crushed pepper, 5 tbsp salt and 4 tbsp sugar.
Sprinkle most of the mixture over the fillet side of the salmon.

If you like, drizzle a couple tablespoons of Cognac over the fillets.

Rub the salt and spices into the fish. Also sprinkle and rub a little of the salt mixture on the skin sides of the fillets.

Divide the dill on the fillet sides and lay the fillets against each other, skin sides out.

Pack the fillets into a tight plastic bag, lay it on a platter and put it in the refrigerator.
Allow to stand for 2-3 days. Turn the bag over every day. Pour off the brine.

Place fillets in the smoker for about 15 to 20 minutes.

Divide the fillets as desired. Whatever is not used within 5 days should be frozen.

The gravlax can be stored in the freezer for approximately 3 months. Slice the gravlax into thin slices on the diagonal. It is easier to cut when it is ice cold, half-frozen.

aintscared
02-28-2007, 12:32 PM
If you dont use wood your not SMOKIN, your baking ::)... big difference!! if you want a fast smoke and dont wanna wait eight hours this is what you do .... First go out and get your Little Cheif Smoker and throw it in a dumpster then go out to your local OSH and buy a Brinksman Smoker it uses fire instead of electric heat.. I have one and love it.. it takes like 1 hour compaired to 6 and I use Kingsford brickets to get her going, then I add my water soaked wood chips.. u can make it cook fast or slow its up to you ... good luck and happy smokin :-X

ocean_314
03-01-2007, 08:47 AM
I used to make lox every year. But i prefer my fish the way i am now doing it. Bagels creame cheese and smoked steelhead or salmon. I als used to make cavior from the eggs for my wife but she started getting fat so she told me to stop. she loves the stuff.

And i know this is not technially not smoking fish but the results are the same and it tastes real good.

aintscared
03-01-2007, 08:57 AM
If you like it and its yummy stick with it !!! ;)