PDA

View Full Version : How to cook sturgeon steaks???

ot
01-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Hi Everyone,

We caught our first sturgeon and tried bbq, deep frying, and pan frying and noticed that the sturgeon meat is somewhat "dry". It doesn't seem like an "oily" type of flesh like trout so no matter what we do it comes out dry. Can anyone help me with a recipe...does it need to be served with a sauce. Do I need to soak it in butter? I looked at the 8 pages of threads in this section but could not find a sturgeon recipe.

Oh yeah. Made the mistake of trying to eat the sturgeon meat the first day it was caught and boy what that a chewy dinner.

Thank you.

timetofish
01-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Here's my favorite way to eat it besides smoking it:

######### Sturgeon Scallopini#######

2 lbs. Sturgeon Fillets
2 Cups Seasoned Bread Crumbs
4 TBsp. Vegetable Oil
1 lb. Fresh mushrooms
2 Bunches Green Onions
1 Cube Butter
2 Cups Dry Vermouth
1 lb. Fettuccine (cooked)
Cut sturgeon fillets into medium thin strips. Coat each strip with seasoned bread crumbs and fry in vegetable oil (1 or 2 minutes on each side). Place fried sturgeon strips in a 13x9 pan and keep warm in a low oven. Make a sauté with the mushrooms, green onions, butter and vermouth. Add more butter and vermouth if needed to keep a sauce. Pour the sauté over the sturgeon strips and serve with cooked fettuccine.

Sturgeon does not take long to cook.It sounds like you might have been over doing it.

FreshwaterFrank
01-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Consider smoking some. Smoked sturgie is about the best thing you can ever put in your piehole. No kidding, ask around. Fresh, sturgie is fine when properly done (thin sliced, marinated, hot & fast) but smoked it is sublime. One of the supreme smoked fish I've ever had. I will always smoke every oz. of sturgie I ever get, that's how good it is.

FF_MYRL
01-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Make sure you do not over cook your sturgeon!

JMan999
01-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Sound good to me.. I love smoked fish. Mahi Mahi is my favorite so far. haven't had sturgeon though. Maybe I should start fishing for them or find a friend ;)