PDA

View Full Version : Trout as Food?

FinshingSW
01-10-2007, 10:13 PM
For some reason I just can't get into trout, just moved down to the bay from northern california :'(, and just can't get into eating these decent sized trout ive been pulling out of the local res.,

I have questions for those of you like me, stuck in the city.
1. Do you all really like to eat trout, and how do you prepare it, meaning bleeding, actual cooking, etc...
2.The trout seem to fight alright, but not like the steelies, maybe because of the lack of current, what would you suggest as a good eating, fun to catch fish?
3. Chabot the best, seems like everything there is alot easier to catch, but am looking for winter panfish, and bass, suggestion?

Mad_Russian
01-10-2007, 10:54 PM
http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?board=recipes

tdrobison
01-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Clear Lake crappie this time of year can be phenominal, 100+ days. It is also considered the premier bass lake in the state.

Although, there are mercury warnings on Clear Lake, so I would not eat them.

--BlueFin

panfish_popper
01-11-2007, 12:03 AM
Yeah, I decided to eat a Berryessa Trout 2 weeks ago. The thing didnt taste too good. Im not much of a trout guy either, dont like them. Trout are like Carp to me, ill only fish for them if i see one or if there in the area. As for good fish... Clear has some 20+lber in the summer and big bass and crappie.

StocktonDon
01-11-2007, 01:53 AM
Trout: bonk, bleed, then clean or fillet and put on ice. *See:

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1161226985/0

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1168245118/0

[Classic trout FAQ candidate?]

FreshwaterFrank
01-11-2007, 05:33 AM
Trout is a delicate tasting fish, and many people don't care for the texture cooked fresh, which is generally light & soft. I'll eat them cooked almost any way, but I've found that most folks who say they don't care for fresh trout, will change their minds if they get to try canned trout...especially canned, smoked trout. Canning firms up the meat & concentrates the flavor. Anyone who likes canned tuna will probably appreciate canned trout as well. The bones don't even have to be removed, they get soft in the processing like kippers or canned mackeral. A trout salad sandwich, made with canned trout, is an unbelievably decadent meal, fit for a King.

SuperDave
01-11-2007, 08:26 AM
FinshingSW,

Summer, Bay Area trout tend to taste like crap because of water temperatures. At least in my opinion. These fish are like river run salmon and usually best fit for the smoker. If you were to eat an Eagle Lake trout and didn't like it, you could confirm that you just don't like trout. ;) I've heard some folks say they like eating Amador trout, personally, I think it is not great table fare, again I believe because of water temperatures that don't get into the 30's and 40's like high altitude lakes.

BrownMeat
01-11-2007, 06:12 PM
I believe that Browns are pretty good! I keep it simple

clean/gut and then batter them up to fry

serve with lime, salt and possibly mom-made hot sauce

i hear pan fish are pretty good! i think i may do that this summer, probably crappie

metalmouth
01-11-2007, 06:19 PM
In Idaho we consider Browns the other White Meat :P I'd rather have a native Cut or a Steelie. I'll think I'll just keep eating Kokes and other Salmon. 8-)

FinshingSW
01-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the responses fellas!

freshwaterfrank, when you smoke um' how do you keep um from falling apart? Too small to strip out, but sounds good, might have to fire up the lil'chief smoker and try it out, also have tried the old tortilla chip and spices and egg fried trip, real good that way, just not the firm meat I really like, maybe cause the fish I'm catching are too small, will also try and put em on ice faster next time to see if that makes a difference

FinshingSW
01-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Dwest,

Just read the link you sent by drstressor, will try that out cause it makes a lot of sense, you know with all the lipids talk, and such.

Thanks again, might make my catch a little bit more tasty

StocktonDon
01-12-2007, 06:39 AM
Thank the dr.

Him teacher, me just try to be student.

And you're welcome!

CJC
01-12-2007, 07:43 AM
In Idaho we consider Browns the other White Meat :P I'd rather have a native Cut or a Steelie. I'll think I'll just keep eating Kokes and other Salmon. 8-)

I have had some wonderful browns with bright pink meet from Shasta, Lake Almanor and some sierra streams. But I never found one with white meat. Interesting. I get it that they don't taste so good by your post.

metalmouth
01-12-2007, 07:58 AM
At this latitude and elevation fish taste can usually be discerned at stream side by the color of the meat. Most of the Browns here are a dull white to pink, due to their diet of small fish and mud snails. They have a slightly muddy or off taste. Our other types of trout tend to feed on a natural fresh water shrimp that is abundant in these waters. The shrimp feeders meat are a bright orange and incredibly sweet and clean tasting. Still, they don't develop the great taste and oil in their meat that is found in Kokanee or other Salmon.

lonestar12
01-13-2007, 09:37 PM
I dont catch a lot. But I like to eat em a lot ;). PAPPI'S , deap fried nice n crispy so you can eat the little bones that are sometimes left in the meat..(PINE FLAT TROUT) dont forget the lemon 8-) If you haven't tried your fish with Pappi's season salt, than your really missing out, and doing the fish a dishonor by bringing it home :'( fish on !!!! (give it a try ;))

FinshingSW
01-13-2007, 10:56 PM
caught a 5+lber rainbow at chabot, followed the dr.s orders, bonk, bleed, and clean, fileted the lil'guy up and will fry tomorrow, don't know the exact recipe yet, but definitely fry um, will wait and see...

FreshwaterFrank
01-15-2007, 04:34 AM
[quote author=FinshingSW link=1168496000/0#9 date=1168569559]Thanks for the responses fellas!

freshwaterfrank, when you smoke um' how do you keep um from falling apart?

Not sure what you mean, if I'm canning the smoked fish I want it to fall apart so I can stuff it in the jars. I do a light smoke, just enough to glaze the fish & give it some smokey flavor. Then you let the fish cool down & pull it apart & fill 1/2 pint wide-mouth jars with the meat. Any bones will become soft, so don't worry if a few get in there. Add boiling water to within 1/2" of top & 1/2 teaspoon of canning salt. Process at 10 lbs. pressure for 75 minutes. I guarantee your family & friends will gobble down all you put in front of them, and ask for more. I get about two 1/2 pint jars of fish from each 1-1/2 lb. fish.

FinshingSW
01-15-2007, 06:07 PM
FreshFrank,

thanks, sounds similar to the way some people on the northern rivers do their salmon.

I'll try it next time, my lil' chief, is not in the bay area, because my buddy is "watching it for me up north, probably untilhe builds a smokehouse, although that guy probably would just burn the thing down, so its good he has the lil' chief.

FreshwaterFrank
01-17-2007, 03:42 PM
FreshFrank,

thanks, sounds similar to the way some people on the northern rivers do their salmon.

I'll try it next time, my lil' chief, is not in the bay area, because my buddy is "watching it for me up north, probably untilhe builds a smokehouse, although that guy probably would just burn the thing down, so its good he has the lil' chief.

Hey, fish you gotta eat it fresh right away, or process it somehow for later enjoyment. I love canned fish, and I do it every chance I get. Practice makes perfect, I assume. Canned Melones Kokanee Fish Tacos!!! Are you kidding? You can't buy that for a million dollars. Smoked fish never lasts long, so I try to can it up & then it can last for years. Trout is almost like herring when it's canned straight, & with a basic salt cure. I'll eat the whole jar myself, & then drink the juice... that's some good eating fish when properly done.

keysersoze
01-17-2007, 04:20 PM
The Fight!

The planted trout don't put up much of a fight, typically speaking. Del Valle plants every week I believe, and they have 1-6 pounders there. The smarter trout and ones that often put up a fight are the ones that have been in the lake for a while. These are usually 6+ pounds. I mostly catch Trout in shallow water, so it is really hard to get a good fight with any sized fish. Bass seem to put up more of a struggle in shallow water :o

In rare cases -yes rare- you will have to dispatch that rogue in your local lake and he will shred your line. It will piss you off so much that you finally go from 4lb test to 6lb test, then 6lb test to 8lb test. My friend did :-[

My friend has been fishing for 30+ years, and he has lost 3 big trout. I caught one that he lost, and found his hook inside with shredded line. Pretty amazing haha It didn't put up a fight for me though. It was in Hellyer and it was a 5.7 pounder, the biggest I have ever seen in that little pond. The other two big trout, 6+ pounders, he lost in Del Valle. I mean he's got the drag set and putting some tension on the line in the runs, but I guess the teeth are very jagged on big trout.

Trout as food.

In my opinion, trout that are small have the best taste.