PDA

View Full Version : Easy Moist Pheasant Recipe

waterdog
12-14-2006, 04:02 PM
I've been hunting pheasants all my life but you pheasant hunters and pheasant eaters know that since they are real low in fat (as are most game birds) it is very easy to to overcook and dry them out thus ruining the meal. I have literally hundreds of wild game and pheasant recipes but this is super easy and makes for a moist and tasty bird - Beer Can Pheasant the same as beer can chicken.
Use either your favorite rub on the bird or marinate for a few hours (I like a teriyaky based marinade - takiyaki, garlic, a little brown sugar, fresh ginger, a little bourbon etc). Get a special beer can cooking holder (from Walmart or where ever) which stabilizes the bird and keeps it from tipping over, drink half of the can of beer (or soda), place the half full can in the holder and place the bird over the can/holder so the can is as far into the cavity as possible. *Set it in the middle of the grill and cook with indirect heat for about 45 minutes to an hour. Use some wood chips for even more flavor. If the pheasant is a little pink at the bone its ok (unlike chicken). *This will be the most moist tastiest pheasant you have ever eaten.
I have 2 cooking on the grill as I type this. Now I just have to decide on the wine. *Bon Appetit!
Waterdog :)

spinfisher
12-16-2006, 10:02 PM
What wine did you pick? ;) :D

(BTW, sounds yummy)

waterdog
12-18-2006, 01:17 PM
I am a red wine drinker so even though a white wine is generally what would be proper with pheasant I decided on a nice merlot - pheasant, wild rice a salad and a good merlot - sweet! [smiley=chowtime.gif]

calebetis
12-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks waterdog, I was just looking for a pheasant recipe other than smoking it or puting it in with my spagetti sauce. I'll report back with my results. :exclamation

vvbob
01-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Your recipe couldn't be more timely for me. My Gardner just gave me 2 nice pheasants....Thanks 8-)

waterdog
01-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Hope the recipe works for you. Remember that if you overcook the pheasant it drys it out and ruins it. Depending on how hot the temp is in your bbq and what marinade you use the outside of the pheasant may darken or even burn a little but thats ok. For wild pheasants probably 45 minutes is long enough. Pheasants taken from preserves may take a little longer as they are usually bigger and fatter.
Good eats [smiley=chowtime.gif]