PDA

View Full Version : Fillet  help

Don
06-19-2006, 05:23 PM
I finally caught my first striper.I have neaver fillet a fish.To me there is too much wasted meat.The trout I catch 3# or so works good on the grill,But Stripers have to be fillet.So I need some help.I felt sorry for this fish.I had a good sharp knife.
I think I was cutting too deep.Who knows I may catch another and would like to know how this is done the right way.
THANKS Don

SuperDave
06-19-2006, 06:28 PM
Don, a "good sharp knife" isn't a fillet knife. The bones on a striper are too thick to cut through, IMO, so you would want to work your fillet knife up against the rib bones. Start at the head, just behind the gill plate, slide the knife firmly toward the tail. Run the knife with your hand on the top of the back bone and the tip of the knife pointing toward the belly. Once you have one side off, you will want to remove the skin from that slab. With the skin side down, get the knife started just between the meat and the skin. Hold the knife flat to the skin and run it from one end to the other. When you have the skin removed, check the meat that was on the skin side for a gray line in the meat. This gray line should be V cut out of your fillet. Repeat these steps for the other side of the fish. I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert but these are the basic steps.

Don
06-20-2006, 06:21 AM
Thanks Dave .This helps alot I was going the wrong way and the knife point was pointing to the back bone. :-[
I cut ALL the dark meat out.I though I heard that someware.
Ya what a mess I made of the poor Striper.It was good fish and chips though.Even if it was small pices
Thanks again

dogfish30
06-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Hey Don, Go to www.striper.net and click on articles. You'll find a very good lesson on how to fillet a striper. The rest of the site is pretty cool too...DF30

spinfisher
08-02-2006, 11:32 AM
A small striper can be roasted whole, without filleting. Gut it, take the gills out, and split it along the tail section, leaving it attached at the top. Spread it out, back up, in a pan over a rice pilaf type stuffing. Slash the skin in a few places on each side (I scale the fish too, because I like the skin - but it depends where the fish comes from...) Coat it with a tangy marinade - italian dressing, if not too sweet, would do. Bake at 350 until it's done. The meat will release from the backbone easily when it's ready. I've done up to 5-6 pounders this way.

Stick a squid in its mouth, surround it with parsley or other garnish, and it makes a luvly presentation. Especially for folks who like their dinner to be looking at them... * ;D

MB_Kevin
09-08-2006, 08:27 PM
I use an electric fillet knife. cuts right threw the bones and all. but to skin it I use a regular fillet knife. good luck. I practiced on smaller fish like bluegill and crappie. then move on to catfish and stripers.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/2500/dcam0035qb1.jpg

Sporting_gent
09-25-2006, 05:36 PM
Happiness is a sharp knife! I read the article posted by dogfish30 and thats the way I have always done it. The key is a sharp fillet knife and a bit of practice. Nice link DF!

krazybob
01-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Don, I may add something to SuperDave's post. When I get to the tail end, I stop without going clear through the end, then flop the fillet endo so that piece of skin still holds it to the fish, then slid the knife between the skin and fillet.
Krazybob