PDA

View Full Version : Squid/Calamari

keciga1
12-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Anyone have any good recipe's for Squid/Calamari. My favorite is fried with fries but have never attempted to make my own. Any help would be apreciated.

Ivan

metalmouth
12-27-2006, 12:01 PM
They are pretty standard and any shrimp deep fry batter or breading will work as long as you do not over cook. The trick is in the dipping sauce.

Combine the following with a whisk:

1/2 Cup Sour Cream.
3 Tbs. Ketchup
2 tsp. Lemon Juice
1 tsp. Creamy Horseradish
1/4 tsp. Cayenne
Several Dashes of Tabasco

MMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

keciga1
12-27-2006, 08:33 PM
They are pretty standard and any shrimp deep fry batter or breading will work as long as you do not over cook. The trick is in the dipping sauce.

1/2 Cup Sour Cream.
3 Tbs. Ketchup
2 tsp. Lemon Juice
1/4 tsp. Cayenne

MMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

Will have to give it a try. Thanks MetalMouth.

ITUKAWAL
12-28-2006, 08:18 AM

1/2 Cup Sour Cream.
3 Tbs. Ketchup
2 tsp. Lemon Juice
1/4 tsp. Cayenne

MMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

The Calamari is on the thaw. Sounds like tonights fix'ns...............

metalmouth
12-28-2006, 12:31 PM

1/2 Cup Sour Cream.
3 Tbs. Ketchup
2 tsp. Lemon Juice
1/4 tsp. Cayenne

MMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

The Calamari is on the thaw. Sounds like tonights fix'ns...............

IT you may need to adjust ratio of Sour Cream to Ketchup to taste ;)

FatCat
12-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Now that's the dipping sauce I have been waiting for!

I realize this may be a little late but, IMO, the key to good calamari is not to overcook it.

I can't stand it when people refer to calamari rings as fried rubber bands! That is not how they should be and most places cook them up this way. It annoys me to no end.

Make sure your oil is very very hot and you cook that squid ever so briefly. If it is fresh caught squid it can be eaten raw and it is always better for squid to be on the raw side than not!

Properly cooked squid should be very soft and delicate, just like a properly cooked scallop.

How did they turn out, anyway?

Farrier_Frank
12-30-2006, 06:58 PM
Great post, Fatcat. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] I love calamari, but I'm not around it enough to know how to cook it... and I know all about the rubber-band-calamari... bummer. [smiley=thumbdown.gif] Next time I order calamari I'll pass your advice on to the cook. 8-)

keciga1
12-30-2006, 10:05 PM
I haven't made any yet, but will as soon as I go on a squid trip. Would one of those electric deepfriers be worth a shot?

metalmouth
12-31-2006, 04:07 AM
For safety and consistency the electric deep fat fryers are the only way to go! I use the GE Stainless Fryer, and it works great. Nice oil volume, large basket, and adjustable temp control. I would highly recommend this product.

keciga1
01-01-2007, 12:01 PM
I have one stashed away that I never used. I'll have to give it a try. :)