PDA

View Full Version : smoking Trout

Chip
12-05-2006, 12:30 PM
I'm thinking of smoking some trout this weekend does anyone have a good recipe? I have about 12 lbs from the last couple of weekend at camanche and I would like to give it a try. I have only tried smoking one time on some Salmon and it turned out just okay.

Thanks for any help,
Chip.

SuperDave
12-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Chip,

I use this recipe on just about all my fish with good success.

1/2 jug of soy sauce from Costco
1 cup brown sugar
1 can frozen apple juice concentrate
1/3 cup olive oil
1 to 2 TBSP garlic powder

1 chunk hickory & 1 chunk mequite

During the last 15 to 20 minutes of smoking, make a thick paste of brown sugar and maple syrup and butter the fish with it.

If you use a wet smoker, use your marinade as the liquad.

reeltor
12-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Chip- my basic brine for a limit of planters (12-14 inchers) is

2 cups water
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 to 1/2 cup non-iodized salt
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
2 good dashes of Worcestershire sauce
Minced garlic to taste
Black pepper to taste
Crushed red pepper to taste

Soak overnight (I remove heads and tails, split the fish down the backbone). Smoke with alder - time depends upon outside temperature and desired doneness. You would have to increase the amount of ingredients for 12 pounds of fish.

Reeltor

drstressor
12-05-2006, 03:21 PM
My recipe is in this thread:

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1137769515/0

Chip
12-07-2006, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the replys, I will give it a try this weekend.

Chip.

Chip
12-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Reeltor- thanks again for your recipe, I did try it out on Sunday and I am impressed with the results and have a lot more confidence in smoking. One question, do you rinse the meat prior to smoking? The reason I ask is I did not rinse and the fish is a little on the salty side (not too bad) and was wondering if I should rinse before cure or cut back on the salt.
One note: I also used the marinade instead of water in my H2o smoker (this could be the smoking gun).

Thanks for your help, and thanks to all that replied.

Chip.

drstressor
12-13-2006, 07:37 PM
You always want to rinse the fish in cold water after brining. Then place the fish meat side up on a tray in the refrigerator for 4 hr or overnight. The fresh water from the rinse brings proteins to the surface of the meat. As they dry they form a sticky layer called a pelicle that holds the smoke flavor during the subsequent process. It's very important to rinse and air dry your fish before smoking in order to get the best product.

You also should let smoked fish set up in a refrigerator for at least 24 hr in order to let the brine and smoke flavor diffuse completely through the meat. This gets rid of the excessive salty taste you get when you serve the fish right after smoking. Unless you let the fish set up for a while, most of the brine is right near the surface of the meat.

Do a comparison. You'll see what I mean.

reeltor
12-14-2006, 04:40 PM
Chip- glad you liked the brine. I normally let the fish sit in the smoker for awhile (45 minutes to an hour) to set up before plugging it in, but need to try Doc's suggestion. I also agree that it needs to stay in the refrigerator overnight after smoking to finish the process. I just did a batch of salmon for the holidays - everyone asks for it. If we have company over, I will take some smoked fish and add a little mayonnaise to it (just like tuna) and spread on crackers.

fishguts
12-14-2006, 09:58 PM
Chip- glad you liked the brine. I normally let the fish sit in the smoker for awhile *(45 minutes to an hour) to set up before plugging it in, but need to try Doc's suggestion. I also agree that it needs to stay in the refrigerator overnight after smoking to finish the process. I just did a batch of salmon for the holidays - everyone asks for it. If we have company over, I will take some smoked fish and add a little mayonnaise to it (just like tuna) and spread on crackers.

Try mixing in non-fat sour cream to reduce the fat and cholesterol content of mayonnaise.