PDA

View Full Version : Split rigs on rapala's etc...

Porem
07-30-2014, 04:43 PM
I am not the best at tying knots on the fly but I am practicing. I know it is best to use a loop type knot, rapala knot etc... On diving lures with swimming action. I
Wondering if adding an additional split ring to the nose of these types of lures would help preserve action without having to tie these loop knots on the fly.

Just an idea. Not sure if the extra hardware would disturb the action as well.

Best,
Phil

salmonid
07-30-2014, 05:28 PM
For plugs like kwiks, wiggle warts, and so on I always use a snap. Action is fine if they have a split ring or not. I like to be able to switch things out without retying. I guess if you have a really small plug a snap could affect the action, but I don't know.

Best,

smalltimer6
07-30-2014, 06:10 PM
If it didn't come with a split ring then it's probably going to run the way the manufacturer intended using a surgeon loop knot. That doesn't mean you can't put a split ring on it. Try it and see if it still runs OK. In rare cases using a split ring will make them roll.

Porem
07-30-2014, 06:35 PM
Yeah I can see that with larger Kwicks and other plugs but what about smaller 1" type rapala and rebel type lures for trout and such.

salmonid
07-30-2014, 07:01 PM
Yeah, Porem, I'm not sure about the smaller style lures. The ones I referenced are larger which I use for salmon and steel.

Yeah I can see that with larger Kwicks and other plugs but what about smaller 1" type rapala and rebel type lures for trout and such.

redneckpunk
07-30-2014, 07:27 PM

I use a small snap on those with no issues. As stated, makes changing a lot easier

~RNP

smalltimer6
07-30-2014, 07:44 PM

You won't know for sure until you try it. I know I get more action out of rattle lures and broke backs without the splits and I can troll them slower. When I troll small stuff fast I like them better with the splits.

Maybe you could just rig a couple up with splits and a couple without and see if the catch rate changes. That'll tell you if the loop knot is worth the extra effort or not.

Porem
07-31-2014, 06:20 AM
Got it, thanks. I guess like everything in life "it depends".

Thanks for the feedback!

salmonid
08-12-2014, 09:27 PM
Cool you like those, Ed. I saw them before, but wasn't sure if the lure could slip out the gap or not. The regular snaps can be a bear to get opened up!

Best,

You might want to look into these little sweethearts for small lures, even Flies !!

They work for me.................and not clunky like snap swivels or uni-snaps.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/1zwn4p1.jpg