PDA

View Full Version : Lumpia

fishdude76
09-06-2006, 02:25 PM
I learned how to make lumpia from a very nice filipina lady. *She came over one night and we went to work. *

For those of you that don't know what lumpia is it is a filipino style egg roll. *I'm not much for recipes, I know what I want to put in it and I eye how much should go into the dish.

Ingredients: meat of your choice(i.e. ground turkey, ground beef, shredded chicken, shredded beef, flaked striper, or anything else that sounds good), shredded carrots, fresh green beans cut french style 1-2", dice 1/2 white onion, and green peas. *Brown your meat but do not fully cook. *Leave veggies raw. *Mix the ingredients together.

Get spring wrappers in Red packaging at your local Asian Market. *Keep frozen until you are going to use them. *Take out of freezer and seperate the wrappers. *When ready to roll I take the wrapper and lay it down baseball diamond style. *Wet 2nd base a little just enough to keep it stuck to the counter. *Take a three finger pinch of ingredients. *Place about an inch above the homeplate corner of wrapper. *Fold home plate over the three finger pinch. *Make sure you roll as tightly as you can. *Fold 1st base over home, then 3rd base. *Simply roll homeplate to 2nd base. *Wet wrapper a little and seal and set aside. *Continue process until you run out of wrappers or ingredients.

You can freeze the lumpia from this state or proceed to cooking. *I do both freeze some and cook some. *Its a long process so I try to make atleast 150-200 rolls at a time. *To cook simply heat up oil in a frying pan and fry the lumpia. *I like to brown mine good on all sides before taking out.

For sauces you can use whatever you want. *The two sauces I use most are ketchup and Mai Ploy sweet & spicy. *

I'd like to try some different variances with the meat, maybe crab, langistinos, shrimp, koke. *When I try a new one if there are enough interested i'll post.

Not too bad for a white boy and a filipino dish. *If there is anything I've left out please chime in.

Farrier_Frank
09-06-2006, 07:34 PM
LOL fishdude. I love your analogy of a baseball diamond in relation to wonton wrappers. It works. ;)

I spent a lot of time killing time in the Philippines, waiting for orders back to Viet Nam. Stranded there I learned to love lumpia. And when I finally came home I thought I could recreate the flavors I enjoyed in the Philippines... not a chance. There was always something missing when I made it.

When I was in Japan, probably 1966/67/68, we would navigate our way back to the ship through an industrial steel complex and on most corners there would be a big Japanese guy selling fried rice. He had a humongous wok, and when we gave him our orders he would throw a bunch of stuff into that huge wok and it would dance across the surface; he'd scoop it out, put it in a bamboo box... *and it was the best fried rice I've ever ever had. But, to this day, I have never been able to recreate that fried rice. [smiley=undecided.gif]

After all these years I still think it takes a bit of ethnic influence to actually recreate the dishes were talking about, whether it be lumpia, fried rice, or a Philly cheese steak.

If it wasn't for the ketchup remark you made I would have thought you were kidding. I don't remember ketchup when I was eating lumpia in the Philippines... but I do remember pork cooked in root beer that was to die for. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

snoose
09-07-2006, 03:42 AM
I have a very good friend who is Filipino. She makes Lumpia and the traditional sauce for it. That and a cold Bottle of San Miguel brings back Olongapo 1964. We have been known to have a Fillipino feast on my boat as her son is my first mate ha ha aint I smart.
Snoose

snoose
09-07-2006, 03:54 AM
Farrier,
You hit it on the head, until I met Imelda and her family I came close but no cigars. She has the traditional spices and that is what it takes. No differant than " grt aunt Kates Ham Gravy" we all have a family favorite we can"t quite reproduce.

iammikey
09-07-2006, 04:26 AM
*I'm glad you enjoy lumpia! *One of the traditional sauces we use is a cup of vinegar (filipino vinegar- usually sweeter) with about a table spoon of soy sauce, some crushed garlic, white pepper to taste and enjoy. *You can also substitute Heinz vinegar, but you have to sweeten it with about a table spoon of sugar.

You can also use banana sauce that's commercially available sold under Jafran or Mafran brand name and it sometimes referred to as ketsup.

*There are so many different lumpia recipes out there and what ever you choose, I'm sure you will enjoy. The wrapper that we have the best luck with is Menlo brand.

*One of the dishes the Navy served (not sure if they still do) is Chicken Adobo. Good stuff! It's chicken cooked in vinegar, soy sauce, onions, and garlic. *

*So much has changed in Olongapo since the US pulled out. *They are prepping the Naval ship ports to accept cruise ships and are building a beatiful resort just outside of the base. *There are quite a few developments in the process.

*If you miss Filipno foods, there are a few restaurants you can try such as Max's (maxsofmanilaDOTcom). They were famous for their fried chicken with the servicemen.

I can't wait for my next vacation back. *Here is a pic of the bay taken from the guard sentry at the bridge in Olongapo on Feb 2006. Recognize this place?
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d726b3127cce8cc9d96f3c4200000016102AatmbJozcsR

snoose
09-07-2006, 06:20 AM
Iam, it's been 43 yrs but yes that does move a brain cell or 2. When I last saw that view I didn't think I would live to see 21, let alone 60, I am glad to see someone is getting some use of the base facilities.
Until I met Imelda and her family I had forgotten what the language sounded like. They have only been here 2 years so all six kids speak Tagalog and the other dialect also, starts with a P I think, I love it, It's like it has a rhythm to it and sounds like singing.
Snoose

timetofish
09-07-2006, 08:27 AM
My buddy's girlfriend uses a 70/30 pork/beef combo that's pretty good.
She says there's some spices/herbs in the homeland that you can't get here but she says cilantro is pretty close to one of them. A lil' garlic mixed in doesn't hurt anything either.....man now I'm hungry :-/

snoose
09-07-2006, 09:07 AM
Has she tried all the markets in the bay area? Warrens Mom gets some strange stuff from down there.

fishdude76
09-07-2006, 11:32 AM
I hear San Jose has some good Asian Markets. I worked with an immigrant from China and he said San Jose chinatown was waaayy better than SF. Not sure if they would have the same items as the phillipines. But might be worth a shot.

Thanks for the replies guys. Its nice to hear you guys were able to experience this dish first hand in its native country. I'm sure it brought back some good memories for you guys. I had my first lumpia experience at age 13 at a friends house. His mom made a ton of them. I think I ate about 80% of what she made. Then had a friend who's girlfriend was filipina and she would make them for us. When he broke up with her I had a lumpia void. Then my senior year in HS we had a filipino on our team. I would beg his mom for some lumpia and she would always tell me "not until you hit a homerun". Well a little more than half way through the season it came, a grandslam. As I was rounding 2nd base I saw her by the fence at 3rd base going wild. I pointed at her and said "when do I get to come over for my lumpia?" The next Saturday morning I was at there house cleaning up. She made me extra since it was a GS and not just a HR. Then it was about 8 years later when I finally was able to indulge again. This time i had the lady teach me so that I could always make them.

I've found at the higher elevations (Reno) the wrappers tend to dry out fast, so its a lot tougher to roll them.

Thanks for your input guys. Looks like when I try a new variation I'll post it here. I've got some kokes in the freezer I'm not sure what I want to do with so that may be an option. I was thinking about rolling some up for Pyramidfest but too hard to keep frozen and fry up when camping.

There is a great lumpia place in San Jose, as per my wife. I don't know the name of it but if someone is interested I can find out really easy.

Maybe someone can share their Chicken Adobo and Ponsett recipes?

snoose
09-07-2006, 11:47 AM
fish, Fry them then keep them on ice. then you can wrap in tin foil and heat over the fire or as we do on a coleman stove on the boat

fishdude76
09-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the input snoose, the only problem with fridging them cooked is they get limp and a little soggy. Best to freeze them uncooked and keep them frozen then fry them when you are ready to eat. When I tried to take them camping they defrosted some, which made them a little moist, when frying them up they kept falling apart. Your suggestion will work, I just like to have them cooked fresh.

snoose
09-07-2006, 01:27 PM
I agree 100% but some is better than none. Fresh is always better. Plus a somewhat soggy lumpia is far better than bologna. lol [smiley=chowtime.gif] [smiley=chowtime.gif]

Farrier_Frank
09-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Fishdude: I think your idea of bringing some to Pyramid is a splendid idea. 8-) Don't worry about them being a bit soggy cause by the time we usually eat up there most of us are a bit soggy, too.[smiley=party.gif]

fishdude76
09-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Alright FF I'll see what I can do. If anyone has a freezer they'd care to store them in then I can bring frozen ones up Friday night at Crosby's for a fry on Sat night. If not I can cook some up and refridgerate them and put them on ice Saturday for Sat night, of course these would be soggy and reheated, but you'll have them. ;)

iammikey
09-07-2006, 09:51 PM
Well, I'll have to share some Filipino recipes with you guys in the next week. My mom's cooking is just awesome and she is willing to share. The only thing about her cooking is that she never measures anything. I'll get her pancit and chicken adobo recipes. If you guys can think of other dishes you like, then let me know.

As far as egrolls, in San Jose, King Egroll (Berryessa @ Lundy or Story @ Mclaughlin) sells some great eggrolls. There is also a small sanwhich shop on Quimby @ Tully (kitty corner from Food4Less).

There is a Filipino grocery store on Hostetter and Jackson (A&A Perucho) but she it's pretty cramped. You can also find asian groceries on Tully and King Rd.

If you are going to cook the lumpia and eat it later, then I would recommend you let it aircool then wrap it in foil.

fishdude76
09-08-2006, 07:27 AM
Awesome Mikey. King Egg roll was the one I was thinking of too. Looking forward to your mom's recipes.

PlugROCKSTAR
09-08-2006, 07:33 AM
I'm 100% Flip and i can roll them things until my fingers fall-off. Iam so sick of eating traditional Lumpia with all the crap (veggies) ;D on them. So i came up with my own recipe. Rodney_Dangerfish can testify about my Egg Rolls/Lumpia or whatever you wanna call it. I think i rolled 150-200 for his Wedding Anniversary last month.

Rusty_Hooks
09-08-2006, 05:56 PM
All this talk about Olongapo city has brought back some memories of Cubi Point and the purple haze evenings there....

I didn't get to spend enough time there..fly in...fly out...

go to town and take up the "bolute bet"...good old times for sure [smiley=party.gif]

another_fisherman
09-09-2006, 03:17 PM
banana ketchup is good for dipping too.

Double_D
09-09-2006, 03:36 PM
All this talk about Olongapo city has brought back some memories of Cubi Point and the purple haze evenings there....

I didn't get to spend enough time there..fly in...fly out...

go to town and take up the "bolute bet"...good old times for sure [smiley=party.gif]

I've head all the stories of Po City from family and friends that were in the Navy/Marines *some of this [smiley=gorgeous.gif] and a lot of that [smiley=carla.gif]

Double_D
09-09-2006, 03:38 PM
I love Lumpia....but I'm to lazy to make and roll my own, so I just get the Orentex brand at the Asian market. :)

Rusty_Hooks
09-10-2006, 09:50 PM
I've head all the stories of Po City from family and friends that were in the Navy/Marines some of this [smiley=gorgeous.gif] and a lot of that [smiley=carla.gif]

very little time for [smiley=carla.gif]....lmao

of course I was preoccupied with the barbeques ::)