PDA

View Full Version : pickleing fish and how to ideas

catfish44
08-24-2006, 07:05 PM
i have had pickle'd walley but was wondering if any body has ever pickled catfish and if they have a recipe for the brine and how to do it as i have never pickled any fish but would like to try it i know pickled walleye is really good

Zucca
08-25-2006, 04:02 PM
I tried it once with trout using a recipe I found on the net from UC Davis. It turned out too sour, so never tried again. Now, when we have leftover cooked fish my wife will frequently pour pickle juice over it and in about a week and a half it tastes great. No more reason to do the whole process at this house when the simple does the trick. However, it certainly is not the same as a good pickled uncooked fish that is done correctly.

FatCat
08-25-2006, 07:46 PM
I pickle shad every year. I imagine it would work for cats but I have never tried it. Fillet them and do a dry cure of equal parts kosher salt and white sugar, let sit for a couple hours. (Maybe more for thicker fillets) Then, rinse gently and pat dry and gently saute (sometimes I will poach in milk if too salty), no need to cook all the way through.

Then mix a solution of 3-4 cups rice vinegar, 1 cup soy sauce and a splash of mirin. Cut the fish into strips and soak in the solution for 5 days. They are great over crackers!

I have tried this recipe raw before but it was not to my taste.

TP
08-26-2006, 02:48 AM
Catfish My family lives in Minnesota and use to pickle fish all of the time. My Great uncle (who is a sweede has been pickling fishing since the early 1900's) told me not to pickle fish anymore. His son my cousin got a tape worm from pickled pike and ended up in the hospital for weeks. If you are going to do it beware and ensure that you could take the risk of getting a 6' tape worm in your guts