PDA

View Full Version : Reclamation reverses course on water for Klamath River

salmonid
08-22-2014, 12:27 PM
The Bureau of Reclamation will release additional water from Trinity Reservoir to supplement flows in the lower Klamath River to help protect the returning run of adult Chinook salmon. The public is urged to take all necessary precautions on or near the river while flows are high during this period.

"We have determined that unprecedented conditions over the past few weeks in the lower Klamath River require us to take emergency measures to help reduce the potential for a large-scale fish die-off," said Mid-Pacific Regional Director David Murillo. "This decision was made based on science and after consultation with Tribes, water and power users, federal and state fish regulatory agencies, and others."

The Yurok and Karuk Tribes sent out releases applauding the decision.

Updated: Reclamation reverses course on water for Klamath River - Times-Standard Online (http://www.times-standard.com/breakingnews/ci_26383708/reclamation-release-additional-water-supplement-flows-lower-klamath)

salmonid
08-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Wow, as I was reading further, I see there is one politician fighting for the fish!

Refreshing, & thanks Jared.

Congressman Jared Huffman (D-San Rafael) released the following statement after the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation announced that it will release water to protect Trinity River salmon:

"I applaud the Bureau's decision to finally release water to salmon struggling in the Klamath and Trinity rivers. While it is abundantly clear that the Bureau's water management plans have been consistently shortsighted and that the irresponsible excessive diversion of water to the Sacramento River forced us into this difficult situation, the decision announced today indicates that the Bureau at least kept listening to the growing evidence of a looming disaster for salmon and is now doing the right thing.

"I appreciate the Bureau's and the U.S. Interior Secretary's willingness to listen to the Yurok, Hoopa and Karuk tribes and to demands from my office, and to change course from their original decision which would have needlessly imperiled vital salmon stocks in one of the driest years on record. I especially appreciate the tribes' tenacity in demanding protection for these important public resources, and to the other deeply committed stakeholders who have spoken up on this issue.

"There is still a lot of work to do to get the Bureau on track to making responsible long-term plans for using one of our critical resources in a way that protects salmon and the people that depend on them while appropriately balancing the need for food production," Huffman said. "I will apply consistent pressure on the agency to move in that direction, and I will stand with federal agencies when they do the right thing - because we know that litigious and powerful San Joaquin Valley interests will at every turn file legal challenges against salmon protection as they seek to divert more of our north coast water."

Updated: Reclamation reverses course on water for Klamath River - Times-Standard Online (http://www.times-standard.com/breakingnews/ci_26383708/reclamation-release-additional-water-supplement-flows-lower-klamath)

mtn. man
08-22-2014, 07:31 PM
I watched a piece they had on the news tonight, talking about the flows. They showed some shots of the river that was full of slimy algae everywhere. They also showed a section of the river where there were what looked like HUNDREDS of dead salmon lining the banks of the river.

smalltimer6
08-22-2014, 07:35 PM
This is great news. Gee, I wonder what the motivation was.. November 2014..

salmonid
08-22-2014, 09:03 PM
This is great news. Gee, I wonder what the motivation was..

small-timer, I do hope the motivation was simply for the fish, but even if it was to satisfy his constituents (who would seem to favor less water exports), I say bring it on. Maybe his opponent favors more water exports and this fellow is against that? Again, what's not to like?

This guy would get my vote if I lived in that district... because more water for fish is a no-brainer! It means more jobs and recreation $ for the North state.

Less water exports = more fish. Pretty basic math.