PDA

View Full Version : looking for a good leopard shark recipe

exocet
02-06-2006, 12:40 PM
I don't know how to clean the fish either. Any special tricks? How does leopard shark taste?

SuperDave
02-06-2006, 01:31 PM
What do you have right now, whole shark? Cutting it into steaks is pretty easy. I love shark steaks cooked on the grill. They are firm enough meat to cook easily without falling apart. My simple recipe is to melt 1/2 a cube of butter and stir in a teaspoon of garlic powder. Paint your steaks and let them sit while you warm up the grill. While the steaks are grilling, continue to paint generously with the garlic butter.

Sea_Turtle
02-06-2006, 02:45 PM
These things "are" great eating!! Even folks who normally don't like fish usually like 'em - firm, non-oily, white meat!

Plus, they are great fighters! No nibbles - they hit and run!!! I was fighting one last summer when my son laid his rod down to help net my Leopard (my wife was supposed to keep an eye on his pole *::) ) Well, she didn't - and over the side it went. We almost always get 2 - 3 at a time.

It's important to bleed them right after catching them. You can put a slice behind each gill or on each side of the tail, run a rope thru their gill/mouth, then hang them overboard for a while (as you catch more).

To clean them, I cut off the head (a serrated/saw blade makes this much easier), gut'em, then slice off the fins. Now just steak them, leaving the skin on. Slice as many steaks as you can until they get too small.

We like to broil or BBQ them. To BBQ them, we marinate the steaks overnight in "Chaka-Umm's" sauce, then BBQ them directly on the BBQ (spray Pam,etc first) for about 10 minutes a side (adjust for heat). Excellent, and the skin just peels right off.

Good Luck,
ST

exocet
02-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I don't actually have any shark right now but I wanna go get me some ;D