PDA

View Full Version : Chile Verde

Steelhead
01-30-2006, 08:08 AM
This recipe is fantastic for fish tacos and the only work is chopping an onion and a couple of cloves of garlic.

3 TBS Peanut Oil
2 Cloves Garlic (finely chopped)
1 Large yellow onion (chopped)
4 cans “Herdez” Verde Sauce
2 TBS Flour
1 can 14 OZ. Chicken Stock
1 can 7 OZ. “Ortega” diced green chilies
3 TBS “Herdez” Salsa Casera

On medium heat, lightly brown the garlic in peanut oil (The peanut oil is an important flavor so accept no substitutes). Add the onion and sauté just until they begin to pick up some color. Add the verde sauce. Still continually until sauce boils and add flour. Saute mixture for a few minutes, stirring continuously. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the green chilies. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add the Casera and simmer another 10 minutes. Because this recipe is made from prepared products I find it unnecessary to add any additional salt.

ken_fishnfool
01-30-2006, 05:05 PM
So is this the salsa to put on top of the fish in the tacos, or could you "poach" the fish in it?
Sounds like it would make a good enchilada too. ;D

Steelhead
01-30-2006, 05:15 PM
8)All of the above 8)

No bad with some jack cheese in an omlette. Or use with chicken or pork for fahitas. If you really wan't to go whole hog...deep fry the pork.

ken_fishnfool
01-30-2006, 05:25 PM
My leftover Carnitas turn into chile verde, too, but my sauce is the homemade simple chile, onion, garlic, tomatillo sauce.
Yours is fancier and sounds like I'll have to try it! Got to love simple bachelor food (from a can). :)
Thanks for sharing!

Steelhead
01-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Hard to believe, but this recipe is BETTER than my home made verde!