PDA

View Full Version : Original Baked Trout

fishrman4life
01-05-2006, 10:28 PM
By:Fisherman4life
Original Recipe

Make a rub composed of lemon pepper, garlic salt, pepper, herbs (oregano, basil, or thyme) (mix to your taste). Rub the inside of the trout with this mixture. Take a thin wedge of lemon and 4 small strips of butter pushed back to the spine. Wrap with tin foil. Cook at 405 degrees for 22 minutes or until fish flakes off the bone.

Enjoy!

YakMotor
01-06-2006, 04:17 AM
I've recently been foil-wrap cooking 2 to 4 pound Amador cutbows in a kitchen oven or outdoor covered gas BBQ.

I've tried a pat of butter or a 1/2 slice of bacon usually with diced onion wrapped on each side of the fish with a experimental variation of mild spices in the cavity along with maybe a little more onion or lemon. Oh, I cut the head and tail off.

Fish size hasn't been consistent and I've used both regular and heavy duty foil and I've had a problem knowing when the fish is done. Unwrapping and re-wrapping to test would be impossible the way I tightly crunch up the foil. One occasion after oven cooking a 2 1/2 pound trout a good long while I was sure it must be done but I found a extra layer of foil I'd used considerably slowed cooking so just shortly after initial oven heat wore off the outside I could hold the still wrapped fish in my hand! NOT done. Not even hot!

Since I wrap and fold seams to completely seal in the fish my method now for insuring doneness is to wait to see the foil start to puff-up. Steam causing this means boiling temp has been reached so I suppose, at 212 degrees, the fish would be considered over cooked. But, I've never been disappointed in the result. YUMMMM! Always flavorful, moist, and tender!

A couple other benefits of this no pot or pan easy way of cooking bigger trout is that the foil holds in the heat which is GREAT outdoors and clean-up is super easy.

To serve the fish I just carefully cut the foil on one side and scrape the skin and onions off to the side and pluck chunks of pure eating pleasure from the bone. Gently peeling back the skeleton reveals the bottom layer of fish that can be lifted free while skin sticks to the foil.

YakMotor
01-13-2006, 06:30 AM
Here's another variation of foil baked Amador cutbow. The fish in the photo is about 2 pounds and is shown half filled with Mom's & my corn bread stuffing.
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/5009/troutstuffing7hn.jpg

My 85 year old Mother & I teamed up to test our ideas for a flavorful stuffing for baked trout. I started by making Jiffy Corn bread Muffins. As she crumbed four cooled muffins I fried a couple slices of bacon to extra crispy. I drained almost all the fat then cooked finely diced yellow onion (about 1/2 cup) to transparancy. I crushed the bacon bits and she shook in some sage and a little something else I didn't make note of.

After mixing and filling and firmly packing the cavity I snuggly sealed the foil. This time I did not use a pat of butter or bit of raw bacon and diced onion against the skin on each side. This was a mistake as the stuffing turned out too dry. Moisture from more onion would have helped both within the stuffing and wrapped around the fish which, by the way, baked for about a hour at 350 degrees. Brocoli and foil wrapped baked sweet potatoes were our side dishes.

Discounting it's dryness the flavor of the stuffing was very good. The sweet corn bread went well with the flavor of the fresh fish and mild spices didn't overwhelm. Perfection will take practice and more cutbows.

Catching, cooking, and eating. Hardly have time for scoping fish sniffer posts and watching football!

Trout_Terminator
01-13-2006, 06:16 PM
hmmmm, mabey next time put mayo on the fish, makes it a little moister. but i dont know if its true :-/.

wifesathome
01-24-2006, 01:53 AM
YakMotor does "stuffing" the trout increase the cook time I tried it last weekend Im haveing trouble telling when it is done any help would be good

wifesathome
01-30-2006, 04:54 AM
very good stuffed abd not I tried both ways very good just be careful not to over cook