CJC
01-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Original recipe: Arroz con pato
This is Peruvian cuisine.

Ingredients:

1 1 young duckling or 8 chicken legs
2 3 cloves of garlic (paste)
3 1 medium size onion (diced)
4 1 cups of chopped cilantro (Liquefy with the beer in a blender)
5 Jalapeno pepper to taste. I like to use 2. (Paste)
6 1 ts of black pepper
7 Salt to taste
8 8 oz of beer
9 4 cups of long grain rice
10 1/3 cup of olive oil
11 1 1/2 cup of green peas
12 Water as needed

Makes 8 servings

Equipment needed: Large rice cooker (12 cups or bigger)

The typical dish is made with duck, but it can be substituted with chicken. Cut the duck into serving size and remove excess fat. A little fat adds to the taste of this dish so I would not take off the skin entirely. But duck is very greasy. Since it is practically impossible to get young duckling that is tender enough, you have the choice to tenderize the duck first with papain (papaya powder) or your choice of meat tenderizer. Papain has the advantage that it is tasteless. Sprinkle papain on the duck like if you were salting it then add a tb spoon of beer for each lb of duck and mix well. Let it sit for an hour or so to tenderize. You may want to add the salt, pepper, jalapenos and garlic to it while its being tenderized.

If you are using chicken, marinade the chicken with the garlic, jalapeno, pepper, salt and 4 tbs of beer. Add the juices to the rice later.

In a good size pot and high flame, fry the meat with the olive oil and brown slightly. Add the onion at this point. In about 2 mins, and the onions should become translucent. Add the beer and cilantro blend. Bring to a boil and cover for 10 mins in med flame. The meat is not yet cooked through at this point.

Use a strainer and separate the liquid from the meat. Pour the liquid into the rice cooker. Add the rice to the rice cooker and top off with water until the 4-cup mark on the rice cooker. (Note: Some rice require more water than others, and to my experience most long grain rice require a little more water than the 4 cup mark, I normally go to 4 cup mark).

Now you may replace the meat in the rice and add the green peas. Add salt as needed and mix in the ingredients. Turn on the rice cooker and now you are on autopilot. I should be ready to serve in 20-25 mins.

Buen provecho.

metalmouth
01-18-2006, 08:01 PM
compadrejt, great recipe. It is not what I think anyone was expecting. Awesome. I was thinking of some variation of a duck Ala Orange or Burgundy Duck. Question? My rice cooker will only hold 6 cups. Can I put it in a Sauteuse, covered on low to finish the dish?
MM

CJC
01-18-2006, 08:27 PM
MM, I know you are very adept at cooking, so this is what I do when I don't have a rice cooker. Add the rice and peas to the pot you have cooked the duck in. Add enough water and you'll have to make a judgement call here. It's usually 50/50 liquid to rice. Bring to a boil and then place a pice of sheet metal (about .03" thick) under your pot to cover the hole bottom of the pot. Cook at med flame until semi dry then turn down the flame to md-low until it's done. It will be much faster with the rice cooker though.

metalmouth
01-18-2006, 08:31 PM
;D

CJC
01-18-2006, 08:49 PM
BTW, the name of the dish is "Arroz con pato".

fish4fun
01-18-2006, 11:20 PM
Compadrejt, Thanks for the great recipe! Want to try it with chicken legs but am confused about what liquids to add to the rice cooker before I add the water.

It seems like there are two liquids left over. Do they both get added to the rice cooker? One liquid is the left over marinade(garlic, jalapeno, black pepper, salt and 4 Tbs of beer). The second liquid is the left over liquid used to boil the chicken(1/3 cup of olive oil, diced onion, 8 oz. of beer, chopped cilantro).

I'm sure I've got something wrong. Need your help.. Thanks.. Larry

CJC
01-19-2006, 07:01 AM
fish4fun,
Add both liquids to the rice. You have it right.