PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Smoked Crappie Recipe

PlugROCKSTAR
01-05-2006, 06:59 PM
anybody got one? I'd love to try your recipe.

thanks in advance.

STURGEONSTOMPER
01-05-2006, 09:37 PM
You gonna smoke everything or what :-/

Your gonna wear that smoker out inside a month ::)

PlugROCKSTAR
01-05-2006, 09:40 PM
You gonna smoke everything or what :-/

Your gonna wear that smoker out inside a month ::)

Yeah, i'm smoking Filipino Sausage next weekend. (Longanisa) mmmmmmmm yummy.

STURGEONSTOMPER
01-05-2006, 09:47 PM
I would use the recipie I seen here for shad. Might be good ;)

PlugROCKSTAR
01-05-2006, 09:50 PM
I would use the recipie I seen here for shad. Might be good ;)

I'm not sure how Crappie would turn out if you smoke it. Has anyone heard or tried smoking Crappie?

SuperDave
01-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Could it be that Carlo thinks smoking all his food will replace smoking cigarettes? Probably stands on the patio and inhales deep throughout the entire process. ;D

STURGEONSTOMPER
01-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Thats funny cause I could see him doing that ;D

PlugROCKSTAR
01-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Could it be that Carlo thinks smoking all his food will replace smoking cigarettes? Probably stands on the patio and inhales deep throughout the entire process. ;D

hahahahaha good one Dave. ;D

fishrman4life
01-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Talk to Roland, man. If ANYONE knows how to cook crappie, its that guy. ;)

Sierra_hillbilly
01-08-2006, 11:41 PM
I have smoked about every type of fish I have ever caught. I've smoked perch and crappie. Becareful with brine on perch or crappie it basically inhales the brine. I put a litle red wine in the brine for my crappie and it ruined the fish. Beware of what kind of spices you use because the fish will taste like it after you are done. I personally dont like bass or crappie that is caught out of ponds or lakes because the meat is mushy. I enjoy striped bass caught in the river but you are talking a larger fish. Squawfish are also good smoked. I tried it a few weeks ago when I caught a sqawfish at one of our local lakes. The meat isn't to bad if you can get past what the fish looks like. ;)

drstressor
01-09-2006, 10:29 AM
I've never smoked crappie but lean white fish in general do not smoke up well. They get dry and have a nondescript flavor.

ken_fishnfool
01-13-2006, 01:50 PM
A little teriyaki in the brine and don't oversmoke them, give you an O.K. flavor.
We tried it once with the standard sugar/salt brine and slow smoked them...They became known as "Marlboro fish" (Doc's dry and nondescript flavor) :P

CJC
01-13-2006, 02:04 PM
Doc and Ken are likely to be right about crappie being too dry when smoked. But if you want to smoke it anyhow, try a quick smoking process. Smoke it in a hot charcoal bbq with the cover on instead. Just 15 to 20 mins on each side in a low flame and smoke chips. Just do your regular marinate or Teriyaki sauce. You do have to consume it quickly though, as it will not keep very long.