PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite Backpacking

nerazzurri925
09-14-2014, 06:19 PM
Hey Everyone

I'm looking to do a weekend of backpacking in some area of Yosemite this October. Going to camp out there 1-2 nights. I haven't been there since I was a kid, and I certainly haven't done any fishing there before. I have a list of all the hikes available to me, but I'm wondering if anyone has any particular recommendations for what trails would be ideal for some trout fishing?

Yosemite Hikes: Index of Trails (http://www.yosemitehikes.com/hikes.htm)

I have a backpacking ultralight spin rod that I'll be bringing. Unfortunately I don't have any access to fly fishing gear right now. Any tips or suggestions would be awesome. Thanks!

Dan

8theworm
09-16-2014, 06:34 AM
hike To the back of hetch hetchy.
Don't tell anyone.

nerazzurri925
09-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Thank you sir. I'll look at some of the hikes around the reservoir

QueenAnnesRevenge
09-16-2014, 12:20 PM
Bring some flies and a clear water bubble and boom, you've got access to fly gear[emoji6]

clb101
09-16-2014, 12:29 PM
You better check with the rangers first, the trail around Hetch Hechy had a major rock slide this spring and it took out a portion of the trail. I believe i heard this somewhere just check to be sure and good luck if you go. Its hard to get around the lake itself but sometimes worth it.

nerazzurri925
09-16-2014, 01:42 PM
I'll absolutely give the water bobber and flies a go...funny, I was just learning about this technique via Youtube. Good call.

Thanks for the heads up on the rock slide. Very good to know

Any other trails that might be better than the hetch hetchy area? I've read on some blogs that May Lake area might be a good target