PDA

View Full Version : A Little Early But Gettin Ready for Duck/Pheasant Season

Waterdog
09-17-2014, 03:22 PM
It may likely be a lousy waterfowl season due to the drought but I just can't wait to get out and hunt. Spent the entire day getting everything ready for the season. Oiled all my guns and disassembled and thoroughly cleaned 3 of the shotguns I know I will use. Checked my ammo, got plenty. Washed and checked the decoys. Checked the calls and tried them (luckily my wife was out for the day). Made sure my blind bag was full of the essentials. Checked the stuff I bring for my dog from neoprene vest to mat to lay on. Replaced batteries in flashlights and headlamp. Checked and washed some of my hunting clothing. Washed my upland game vests and stocked them with shells and other essentials I carry. Took my lab to the river and threw a bunch of bumpers to start tuning him up. Did a bunch of other things too.
Last year I gave up my rice blind lease and did not renew my membership in wilderness unlimited. So this year all my waterfowl hunting will be in the bay and Montezuma slough area. At least the drought shouldn't affect duck hunting there. No wild pheasant hunting for me in Calif this year but I am planning a trip to the Dakotas and Nebraska. For pheasants I will be hunting my club on Hastings Is. I know it's early but I just can't wait to get out in the marshes and fields with my awesome dog Sprig. I am exhausted, about time for my favorite adult beverage. I will content myself with fishing until until I can get after them ducks and pheasants. Hope you all have a great season afield this year.

QueenAnnesRevenge
09-17-2014, 03:47 PM
Never to early, sounds like your ready to rock and roll.

Jral3174
09-18-2014, 09:06 PM
+1 on the never to early! Started bringing my calls with me to work last week. Nothing like sitting in traffic and letting go a hale call n watch everyone around you try n figure out what's going on

Waterdog
09-19-2014, 08:05 AM
When I used to commute that is when I would practice my calling. Wife was most happy with that.

larrys limit
09-19-2014, 06:29 PM
Never too early, walk my Springer Bailey 3 to 5 miles a day, I have had my Wilderness
inactive the last two years, if they don't have water I will hunt a club in the Suisun Marsh.
Be at Hasting's and Bird's Landing, no wild bird's if Wilderness doesn't work out.

Larry

Waterdog
09-19-2014, 09:01 PM
I was in WU for 12 years, I just didn't use it enough to make it worth it. In addition from when I joined WU the waterfowl properties were plentiful but by last year I would estimate they were down to about 25 percent of what they had when I first joined. I liked the WU but you have to use it often to make it worth it. Now I am retired and have lots of time to hunt. I probably should have kept my membership. Oh well too late now.
if I wasnt a lab guy I be a springer guy, they are great dogs

K-15
09-20-2014, 06:16 AM
If I wasn't a chessy guy, i'd be a lab guy.Got a order into Rogers for some ammo, and ordered some new breathables from Cabela's.The water situation this year is going to be lean at best,..hopefully we get the El Nino and get plenty of rain, and s.e winds, along with my favorite the clearing north wind.
Mike

Waterdog
09-20-2014, 02:16 PM
In actuality I guess I am a hunting dog guy. Love em all. I love to watch them work and love their personalities. It's awesome seeing labs and chessies work ducks and flush upland birds, nothing like seeing a pointer suddenly lock up on a solid point and then there is the pocket rocket springers with their unlimited energy and all the other breeds with their unique abilities.

i agree pray fo El Niņo, major wind and rain and of course those SE winds. Since I will be hunting the bay around grisly island, Montezuma slough, honker bay and that General area the hunting should be little affected by the drought (I hope).
got my first pair of breathable waders from Cabelas a few years ago, will never wear neoprene waders again.

brokea--boater
09-23-2014, 03:08 PM
Hey WD, my wife and I belong tho H.I. I had labs for many years since I was so addicted to duck hunting. Since I haven't ducked hunted for several years now, my wife and I hunt upland. We have a Vizsla that 's coming a long great. My wife is determined to get him some titles and Field titles. That's her deal, I just want to hunt him, I love watching a good dog work a field. Our pup got his JR. Hunter title, now the wife is training him for the Senior Hunter. We're heading to S. Dakota Thursday to pick up another Vizsla puppy. I'm hopping to do some grouse hunting while there there. Lets meet up sometime and kill something flying,,,gregg

hanahou7
09-23-2014, 03:30 PM
I'm gettin excited too...did all the same stuff you have just counting down to the opener...got the geese decoys ready for the early season October 4th opener! I usually only hunt the Bay so I haven't experienced the drought issues yet, but I anticipate the Bay and Delta to get pretty crowded for those who can make it out there.

Waterdog
09-24-2014, 03:26 PM
Hey BB , Vizsla's are great versatile Huntin dogs. Great upland dogs and great retrievers. You get the full package with Vizsla's. Never hunted over one but would like too. If you want to hook up sometime at Hastings let me know. I am recently retired and will be hunting and fishing mostly during the week now. You can recognize me - red Toyota Tacoma double cab 4x4 with matching camper shell and camo upholstery, black lab in the back seat.

Hey H7 - I will be hunting the bay probably exclusively this year. I launch out of Belden Landing and generally head out to the mouth of the bay and then go from there. Hunt either from shore or out of my Alumaweld which I drape camo all over it. Alumaweld and black lab, that's me.

brokea--boater
09-24-2014, 09:07 PM
I retired a year and a half ago myself, had to wait till I was 55 to do it. I'll send you a pm with my number,,,gregg

Waterdog
09-26-2014, 01:51 PM
Hey Gregg , pm sent to you