PDA

View Full Version : Tube/Toon/Yak forum?

Bass_Sergeant
08-14-2008, 07:35 PM
So I noticed a rise in the amount of tubers and tooners that have started to join the sniffer, and was wondering if it has ever came up to create a forum exclusively for posting reports and Q&A about our tubes/toons? *I noticed that there are sites on the net for tubes and pontoons, so I figure if there are entire sites dedicated to our low cost way of fishing, why not a forum inside the Sniffer? *I believe it would be an invaluable resource, one that would be worth the extra site modification. *Just an idea! *8-)

/me

metalmouth
08-15-2008, 05:23 PM
The idea has been on the table before. It was suggested that it would take away from the traffic on the Bass and Fly Fishing boards and was put on hold until they have more traffic. :-/

Bass_Sergeant
08-16-2008, 06:00 AM
Well I can't speak for the fly fishing board, but the bass board is like I-80 during rush hour. :o And as I also can't speak for evryone else, I would deffinatly still post on the bass board to give and receive bass specific information and reports. 8-)

/me

troutfan
08-16-2008, 08:03 AM
I like the idea. Tubing and Kayaking has grown in popularity by leaps and bounds in the past few years and I believe that it certainly merits it's own board.

Bass_Sergeant
08-16-2008, 10:46 AM
So who is the one that I need to send the gift basket to in order to make the Float Tube/Kickboat board a reality? ;) 8-)

/me

CJC
08-16-2008, 10:48 AM
I agree with Troutfan. Tubing, tooning and kayaking haves tecniques that are especific to those platforms. The fact that many forums are out there that are dedicated to those platforms alone says it all. I really don't think it will diminish the partifipation in the bass or the fly fishing forums.

metalmouth
08-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Let me try to explain this again. We don't have enough posts on the fly fishing board and bass board. To create a Toon and Tube board would lessen two boards that are under posted on now. While having more boards would be great, it won't be done at the cost of under posted boards. When the bass board has the traffic that will allow for Tubes and Toons to post elsewhere they may consider it. Our fishing boards tend to be species oriented unless like Salt Water Stripers the venue is so different from fresh water Stripers, as to warrant a separate board. Where the tackle is the same for fishing from a boat as it is from a toon . . .
As I've posted above, it has been up for consideration before and was nixed for the reason I stated.

metalmouth
08-16-2008, 12:20 PM
I guess the question would be would a Tube, Tune, Yak board bring enough new members to the boards to cover the lessening of the posts on the existing boards? I know that was the hope with the Surf, Pier, and Jetty board.

troutfan
08-16-2008, 01:31 PM
I guess the question would be would a Tube, Tune, Yak board bring enough new members to the boards to cover the lessening of the posts on the existing boards? I know that was the hope with the Surf, Pier, and Jetty board.
As JT stated there is an significant Toon, tube and yak community out there and I certainly don't have any emperical evidence but my estimation would be yes it would yield a positive result. *The Bass board is quite a busy board and I'm not quite sure what the problem is with the Flyfishing board. I would bet dollars to dougnuts that a Tube, toon and Yak board would get more posts than several of the current boards. That said I've been wrong before! ;D

CJC
08-16-2008, 01:41 PM
Where the tackle is the same for fishing from a boat as it is from a toon .
That's where you are wrong. Tackle from a tube is different than tackle from a boat. Tubers use shorter rods because they are much closer to the water and space is a premium. They get into tight spots that boats can't get into. They have needs that boaters don't such as waders, fins and boots. Kayaks have their own especific rods (Floating rods). PFD's are not the same for a kayak and boats. Waders VS. wet suits. Portable electronics VS. fixed consoles. I don't see anyone in here talking about those thing because we are not geared to serve those platforms. But there are constant talk on other boards about these things.

metalmouth
08-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Having owned a Bucks Tune complete with a tube motor holder and battery holder, 4 tackle bags, 2 rod holders, cooler, fish finder and the like, and then a tube before that for some 28 years, I'm pretty aware of the need for waders, fins and the like. *;) I would think as the moderator of the Bass Board you would have a stickied threat at the top of the board for such info and discussion? *:) I'm not sure how many threads it would take to completely cover the gear subject. I can't see more than one a week before it became completely redundant. All that would leave is the bass posts and we have a bass board?

A Kayak board would be cool but again, do we really have the potential for 3 or 4 reports, seven days a week. I can't see that kind of traffic and the Sniffer wants a minimum of 20 to 30 fishing posts on a board a week before they consider it warranted. I haven't seen 4 kayak posts a year on the boat board so that makes it tough to sell to the powers that be?

metalmouth
08-16-2008, 06:19 PM
One last thought. This board would have to be set up on the general board probably underneath the Boat Board. Do you see that as something that will draw daily posts and if so why?

Bass_Sergeant
08-16-2008, 06:54 PM
Well I see that there is alot of things to consider when it comes to creating another board. However, I don't believe the traffic of the 2 other boards mentioned above would suffer much if at all, due to the fact that we would need to go to the bass and fly fishing boards for specific info that only the members of such boards would be able to answer. Which brings me to the reason I thought this whole thing up in the first place....there has been quite a flood of new members to the sniffer lately that are tubers/tuners, asking specific questions that only an owner of such boats would be able to answer. If there was a forum for these specific questions that we would know reach more of the target audience, then I am sure the board would make it's quota of posts per week. But what do I know ;).....currently I am suffering from smoke inhalation like everybody else on base right now! :D 8-)

/me

metalmouth
08-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Bass Seargent,

Thanks for the reply. I will wait for CJT and others to reply and present your case to the (cheeses) Sniffer Admins. *;) My job is to better understand what you want me to present and to predict what they may ask in response.

By the way BS you are volunteering to moderate, right? *:)

Thanks,

MM/Don

CJC
08-16-2008, 09:10 PM
I am not sure that this board will do well in the non-reports area. The way I see it is that tubers, tooners and kayakers like to fish together and hence will like to be able to report in their thread. People that fish together will like to hang together.
The other thing is that kayakers do fish the salt as well as in fresh water. I have seen reports of kayakers fishing for tuna and sharks in the range of 300# as well as sturgeon in the bay. They are in no way restricted to fly fishing or bass fishing alone. And this is something that the sniffer totally lacks. The way I see it, you may lose a few posts from the bass and fly threads and I don't see that as significant. But I think you will gain quite a bit in the other areas of expertise.
That is also true for the tubers. Many of us will go for pan fish, striped bass and trout as well as black bass. Have you ever seen a tuber troll for striped bass or trout? Yet there are techniques specific for the tubers for catching these fish. I know we have developed techniques for bass in the south bay that only works in a float tube or toon.

MB_Kevin
08-16-2008, 11:35 PM
I also had the idea MM said about stickying a float tube thread on top when I read this before. Im not saying that its own board would not be a good Idea because Im sure that sticky would get long but still would be a good idea if this don't go threw or until it does.
I'm not so worried about the posts it would take away from the bass board but the posts it might take away from the silly valley thread :D

metalmouth
08-17-2008, 08:21 AM
Have you ever seen a tuber troll for striped bass or trout?
Hey now, in Idaho they use them to troll for trout and Kokanee. I used to use mine for that purpose as well. :D

OK, I'll float the idea upstairs and see what they think. Any more positive input would be helpful!

Greg_Cornish
08-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Let me give an objective observation since I don't tube or toon. However, I frequent other bass sites. *Quite often I hear questions about tubes and toons on them. *

More and more, I hear, "Because of gas prices, I'm selling the gas guzzler and thinking about......" *

I PM them immediately and tell them to visit the bass boards at the Sniffer. *Nearly every time I get a, "Thank you, that was very helpful," PM back. This has happened at least ten times. *I guess you need to decide if you can get this into the search engines enough to bring new clientele searching for answers, because to get answers, forums are the best way to go.

One question, Would a bass fisherman's tube, toon or kayak post be moved to a new forum should one be created?

metalmouth
08-17-2008, 10:17 AM
One question, Would a bass fisherman's tube, toon or kayak post be moved to a new forum should one be created?

That is a consideration I have as well??? *The short answer is yes. :D

troutfan
08-17-2008, 10:20 AM

I think that would depend on what the dominant theme was, Bass fishing or equipment information.

metalmouth
08-17-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure the board can survive on just equipment info. It will have to contain fishing reports to be able to convince the Admins. An Equipment thread would be pretty dead after the first week. We already have a boat board if it was just that.

Prowler
08-17-2008, 12:26 PM
I think having a kinetic propulsion board is a great idea. Having bass anglers, trout fishermen, fly fishing enthusiasts and spin/bait fishermen on the same forum could get interesting.

Bass_Sergeant
08-17-2008, 02:40 PM
I think having a kinetic propulsion board is a great idea. Having bass anglers, trout fishermen, fly fishing enthusiasts and spin/bait fishermen on the same forum could get interesting.

Absolutely! 8-)

/me

Bass_Sergeant
08-17-2008, 02:52 PM

I think that would depend on what the dominant theme was, Bass fishing or equipment information.

Great question, I believe it should rely on the dominant theme as well, just as the mods of the bass board have decided. In the bass board we might ask a general knowledge question, but for our circumstances and all practicality we want the bass anglers to answer it because bass is the specific species that we want to know the answer for. From what I remember seeing the bass board has the highest posts rate of pretty much all the boards, so I don't tink it would suffer all that much IMHO. 8-)

/me

troutfan
08-17-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm not sure the board can survive on just equipment info. It will have to contain fishing reports to be able to convince the Admins. An Equipment thread would be pretty dead after the first week. We already have a boat board if it was just that.
Ofcourse the board would contain fishing reports specific to the use of this equipment.
I'm not sure if this deserves a board of it's own but I am sure that this subject merits more information being available on the Sniffer than we have currently. ;)

Bass_Sergeant
08-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Ofcourse the board would contain fishing reports specific to the use of this equipment. ;)

And then some! :) I have visited a couple of the web sites that are exclusively for float tubes and toons, and figure if they can keep an entire site up and running for years, then a little forum within the Sniffer should be a piece of cake! And I have a feeling that some of the tubers that are on those other sites would probably join the Sniffer if there was a forum for them to use to share tube/toon specific info and reports. One of the reasons being that the other sites are more into tournament news and announcements, and less into reporting. So this new board could turn out to be quite the recruiting tool as well! 8-)

/me

Shenanigans
08-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Just an observation/thought,

calfishing.com has a tube board which some of you know. It looks like it only averages about 2 topics a day and has a mild amount of posts. While tube/tune is a unique/cool way of bassin it is still not main stream. Word needs to spread through the boards on where you talk about tube/tune fishing and since it is multi species the general freshwater board is a easy solution. Have the moderator just let people talk general tube stuff/gear/fishing/reports on there. Sounds like less work to me!

Should we start a banker board for tips and stories about bank fishing........its still fishing? :)

Just an idea.

/me

CJC
08-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Hey now, in Idaho they use them to troll for trout and Kokanee. I used to use mine for that purpose as well.
I would not call that trolling. You couldn't possibly maintains trolling speed for very long. Your spinners wouldn't turn at all and you'd be dragging bottom. I call that walking the bait. ;D ;D ;D

One more thing. I think there should be a "General Fishing Forum" where the Fly fishing board, the Outer Llimits board and the Tube, toon and Yak boards could reside.

metalmouth
08-17-2008, 07:24 PM
I would not call that trolling. You couldn't possibly maintains trolling speed for very long. Your spinners wouldn't turn at all and you'd be dragging bottom. I call that walking the bait.

We generally troll Flies or Hoochies and Worm Rigs on Dodgers. All slow troll stuff at .7 to 1.2 mph. I never tried a Rapala at 2.5 mph. ;D

metalmouth
08-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Did I mention I have a 40 lb. thrust MinnKota attached to my toon. :o

CJC
08-17-2008, 07:34 PM

calfishing.com has a tube board which some of you know. It looks like it only averages about 2 topics a day and has a mild amount of posts. While tube/tune is a unique/cool way of bassin it is still not main stream. Word needs to spread through the boards on where you talk about tube/tune fishing and since it is multi species the general freshwater board is a easy solution. Have the moderator just let people talk general tube stuff/gear/fishing/reports on there. Sounds like less work to me!

Should we start a banker board for tips and stories about bank fishing........its still fishing? :)

Just an idea.

/me
The difference here is that we already have a tube fishing crowd in the bass and trout boards and it's quite an active one if you ask me. We also have a fly fishing crowd that fish off this platform.
The genneral freshwater board would not be adequate because the kayak fishermen do fish the salt. Kayak fisherman go out for rock fish regularly and in the prime sturgeon season they are out in the bay catching those as well. I have even seen a Salmon fisherman fishing in the bay in a float tube once. If it wasn't for the salmon closure I would be thinking about doing just that. ;D ;D ;D

CJC
08-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Did I mention I have a 40 lb. thrust MinnKota attached to my toon. :o
MM, you lead me to believe you were trolling off a tube because the question was "have you ever seen a tuber trolling for trout?". ;D ;D ;D

metalmouth
08-17-2008, 08:02 PM
I originally had my Power Float hooked up to my tube to troll. I wanted to hit bigger water with bigger waves so I moved up to a Bucks. ;)

Shenanigans
08-18-2008, 08:05 AM

Should we start a banker board for tips and stories about bank fishing........its still fishing? *:)

Just an idea.

/me
The difference here is that we already have a tube fishing crowd in the bass and trout boards and it's quite an active one if you ask me. We also have a fly fishing crowd that fish off this platform.
The genneral freshwater board would not be adequate because the kayak fishermen do fish the salt. Kayak fisherman go out for rock fish regularly and in the prime sturgeon season they are out in the bay catching those as well. I have even seen a Salmon fisherman fishing in the bay in a float tube once. If it wasn't for the salmon closure I would be thinking about doing just that. ;D ;D ;D

The idea is that you have to start somewhere to prove the big wigs that there is a large enough customer base to actually open a tube board. Let every tuber, tooner, and yaker post on the general fresh water board about everything relating to that type of sport. In one moth or so go to the bosses with the hard data of topics and post counts on the subject. You just have to prove the need, just asking for it probably won’t make it a reality. Like I said just an idea, or just keep it the way it is. :)

Good luck!

/me

ken_fishnfool
08-18-2008, 10:15 AM
I have to finally pipe in on this one as a tuber and yaker (sorry Sarge and Compa)...
I agree with MM that it's easier to report on my trips on the species specific boards. I also have absolutely no problem answering equipment specific questions that arise on the boards as these tend to be either very general (sticky it!) or very species oriented (although there are some of the same questions over and over posed by those who don't search past info). This is the exact issue that comes up with any generalized equipment/tackle questions by the newer members and is dealt with by specific answers (here we go again...answer or link provided) or stickying a thread on top of a board...
IMHO the muddling would occur with deciding which "reports" would get moved, based on content, and would tend to cause a little confusion and more effort by the mod's.
Whatever general questions asked that aren't species specific tend to end up on the general freshwater board where they do get answered.

With the price of gas and more people seeking the alternatives there might become a need for a "kinetic powered board" including tubes, toons, and yacks, and rafts, and canoes...but I humbly submit that what we have here has been pretty successful to date.

One mans humble opinion...

Bass_Sergeant
08-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Well unless you ask you never will get an answer from the people that matter. Did I expect the tube/toon/kinetic board to pop up over night just because I brought it up...of course not! ::) But by asking I figured that the mods/staff could throw the idea around like what is happening now. The idea of throwing a sticky at the top of the applicable boards that seem to have alot of tube/toon/kinetic traffic seems like a great idea for a "probation" period for the board. Let the posts speak for themselves, and see what everybody thinks. Maybe because I actually own a tube, the tube posts stick out more to me than someone who doesn't fish from one since I actually look for them. When I first thought this up, I PM'd a couple mods and tubers to see what they thought of the idea, and it was greeted as a great idea and eventually it was mentioned that I ask the staff here on the "Talk to the Sniffer" board. So a little research went into this before I just threw it out there for public opinion. And it is interesting reading the responses. Keep them coming! 8-)

/me

SHigSpeed
08-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Well, since I posted up in the other thread, the Sarge has asked me to chime in here...

If we were to have a tube/'toon/'yak forum here, I'd feel as it should be more geared towards organizing group outings, tech sessions, and maybe impromptu tourneys. *

I guess the advantage of this new forum would be for us to discuss waters that are best suited for these craft in our area. *Generally smaller water that's less accessible from shore and that may not be conducive to powered boating or don't have a proper launch. *While this may be active for a while during the initial period, there may not be sufficient sustaining participation to keep it rollin'. *I gotta agree about the dearth of posts on Calfishing, and much of it seems to be tourney talk.

Please do not post links to competitors sites. Thanks, MM

As much as it'd be nice to have our own "backyard" t/t/y forum, maybe we should all post t/t/y specific stuff at bigfishtackle (my choice ) or calfishing?

Even if the 'Sniffer did put together a TTY forum, I'd still hang at Bigfish. *Just my $0.02.

_SHig

Bass_Sergeant
08-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Like Shig said, other sites that are geared specifically for tubing are tourney oriented, which is one of the reasons why the post count on those forums is significantly lower than lets say the bass board for example here in the sniffer. But another reason why the post count is so low and less frequent is that in some of those sites in the rules it states that overposting is not allowed, which minimizes all the fluff and guys that are more into their individual post count ::). I have found myself visiting these other sites to get the info I am interested in for tubing more often now, and I figured that if the Sniffer were to tap into this market, then I would be able to get all the information that I look for at one site. I know the Sniffer is a business, and perhaps opening a forum that is open to the wide sharing of tube/toon specific related info all in one place might even help to sell a few more papers! I am not a business major so I am not going to guarantee anything that I just said ;D :D. But like I said it was just an idea, one that I figured would help share accurate information when guys and gals ask tube/toon related questions. I have seen guys try to answer questions about tubing that have never even tried it, and all that does is spread alot of bad poop! But I will respect which ever decision that the Sniffer staff comes to. 8-)

/me

metalmouth
08-18-2008, 06:55 PM
I have seen guys try to answer questions about tubing that have never even tried it, and all that does is spread alot of bad poop!
Among other things! [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

SHigSpeed
08-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Please do not post links to competitors sites. Thanks, MM
_SHig

Ooops, my bad... But is it really a competitor if the 'Sniffer doesn't have a TTY forum? ::)

I'd love to see a "TTY Roll Call" thread.

Doable?

_SHig

nateb
08-18-2008, 09:27 PM
Tossing in my support. Its a unique type of fishing that encompasses not only fresh but salt water as well. There are different techniques and topics to be discussed.

metalmouth
08-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Easy guys! Enthusiasm is what makes a board work. We're still batting around the pros and cons but let's bat softly! ;)

Bass_Sergeant
08-19-2008, 10:49 AM
Shenanigans,

Dude, just for the record I didn't say anything negative about what you posted. It would be really great if you would stop thinking everything I said is about you. Actually the points that you brought up I thought were valid, and I took what you said as advice and threw out some more points that I thought were relevant to the subject. So thank you for that :). I apologize if you accidently took offence to anything I said, but honestly I don't see which parts are against you. Stop throwing the insults around, and again not everything I say is about you. Get over it and move on! 8-)

/me

Shenanigans
08-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Shenanigans,

Dude, just for the record I didn't say anything negative about what you posted. *It would be really great if you would stop thinking everything I said is about you. *Actually the points that you brought up I thought were valid, and I took what you said as advice and threw out some more points that I thought were relevant to the subject. *So thank you for that :). *I apologize if you accidently took offence to anything I said, but honestly I don't see which parts are against you. *Stop throwing the insults around, and again not everything I say is about you. *Get over it and move on! *8-)

/me

Sorry dude, it is hard to tell anymore with all the trash talking you did about me back in the day on the bass board..........Anyway appology accepted and I am Moving on! :)

Good Luck with the Tube Board. Get that flat fixed and catch a bass! :)

/me

Bass_Sergeant
08-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Shenanigans,

Dude, just for the record I didn't say anything negative about what you posted. *It would be really great if you would stop thinking everything I said is about you. *Actually the points that you brought up I thought were valid, and I took what you said as advice and threw out some more points that I thought were relevant to the subject. *So thank you for that :). *I apologize if you accidently took offence to anything I said, but honestly I don't see which parts are against you. *Stop throwing the insults around, and again not everything I say is about you. *Get over it and move on! *8-)

/me

Sorry dude, it is hard to tell anymore with all the trash talking you did about me back in the day on the bass board..........Anyway appology accepted and I am Moving on! *:)

Good Luck with the Tube Board. Get that flat fixed and catch a bass! *:)

/me

Groovy! I understand what you mean, it took a while for me also. :) As for the flat, it is off to the Caddis Warranty department. I fixed the seam tear with the advice I got from JT, but I decided that the safest bet was to take advantage of the Warranty and just get it replaced. Good luck goin after those TX monsters! 8-)

/me

fish10plus
08-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Hey Bass about how much dose a replacement bladder cost for that float you got in your sig. The upper bladder of mine is starting to tear and Im running out of patch material.I have basicaly the same boat but I have two more bladders that strap to each side for more boiuncy and stability.

Bass_Sergeant
08-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Hey Bass about how much dose a replacement bladder cost for that float you got in your sig. The upper bladder of mine is starting to tear and Im running out of patch material.I have basicaly the same boat but I have two more bladders that strap to each side for more boiuncy and stability.

Here is what I dug up: Caddis Replacement Float Tube Bladders and Inner Tubes run from $25 to $50, depending on size, weight rating and model. * Backrest Bladders- $9.99 to $14.99. *Crossover Bladders- $18.00 or so. *Lucky enough for me, my right pontoon bladder is getting replaced under warranty! 8-)

/me

outdoorsman
08-20-2008, 06:31 PM
I am in favor of this and would have posted this earlier had I know where it was :-[ :-[
I answer questions of tubing all the time, and a tubing board with kayaks and toons would eb a great idea. It would be a spot about posting how to mount holders, the new portable fish finder, and the new developments in the growing sport. It would include discussions on how to access certain areas that a normal bass boat wouldnt, how to succesfully fish from a kayak from the ocean, or what to do about safelly navigating the bigger waters around larger boats.
Just my opinion, and I would love to see this go through. :D 8-)

Bass_Sergeant
08-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Lookin' good, keep the support coming guys! 8-)

/me

CalifBob
08-20-2008, 07:46 PM
I strongly support having a separate Tube/Toon/Yak Forum.

I believe that sharing techniques(fishing and safey), experiences and areas to tube would be very beneficial to the many who have undertaken this type of fishing.

Even though I love stream/river fly fishing, I can't get as often as I would like( long drives etc.) and would like to expand my tubing opportunities.

I believe the TTY forum could be launched on a trial basis. If the other sites lose traffic or the new forum doesn't get much traffic then it could be shutdown.

Captain Compassion
08-20-2008, 07:51 PM
If I fish from a tube, use a fly and catch trout and bass. Where would I post the story? Should there be a board for shore fishing and a board for trolling? You are confusing an old guy. [smiley=old.gif]

CC

metalmouth
08-20-2008, 07:58 PM
I'd actually like to have a shore board as well. I banked it for a lot of years and never had a shortage of fish. Pretty much like you CC! ;)

outdoorsman
08-20-2008, 07:59 PM
You would post it on the TTY board. It would be the sma eif you flyfished for trout from your toon and posted it on the trout board with the guy who trolled from his powerboat who posted on the same website. ::) ::)

MontanaN8V
08-20-2008, 08:09 PM
I think it would be fantastic to have a go to place to get info about yakin or tubin. I have tubed all my life in Montana, and am serious about getting into kayak fishing for me and my four boys. I urge the sniffer to make a separate forum for this, so I can learn, and teach others as I gain experience.
Thanks,
Rich

Bass_Sergeant
08-20-2008, 08:14 PM
This is great guys! 8-)

/me

Captain Compassion
08-20-2008, 08:16 PM
The results for Truckee Kyak races could be posted as well as the Olympic results for kyak and canoe races posted. Fishing could become incidental.

CC

Bass_Sergeant
08-20-2008, 08:30 PM
The results for Truckee Kyak races could be posted as well as the Olympic results for kyak and canoe races posted. Fishing could become incidental.

CC

Those posts might not have a long shelf life on the TTY board! ;) 8-)

/me

Denny1969
08-20-2008, 08:50 PM
I am a pontoon boat and float tube owner, but I don't feel the need for a new discussion forum. Many posters have target audiences who they want to address. If a fly fisherman is looking for information on what flies are working on Fuller, that fly fisherman is going to want information from other fly fishermen. If someone is looking for plug to throw off his kayak for Striped Bass on the Delta, that someone will want to get information from someone who fishes the Delta for Striped Bass.

Of course there is always the "general" questions in regards to float tubes, pontoon boats, and kayaks. There are two "general" discussion categories (one for saltwater, one for freshwater). There's a gear discussion forum already (Rod, Reel, Tackle and Repair).

Denny

Bass_Sergeant
08-20-2008, 09:41 PM
I am a pontoon boat and float tube owner, but I don't feel the need for a new discussion forum. *Many posters have target audiences who they want to address. *If a fly fisherman is looking for information on what flies are working on Fuller, that fly fisherman is going to want information from other fly fishermen. *If someone is looking for plug to throw off his kayak for Striped Bass on the Delta, that someone will want to get information from someone who fishes the Delta for Striped Bass.

Of course there is always the "general" questions in regards to float tubes, pontoon boats, and kayaks. *There are two "general" discussion categories (one for saltwater, one for freshwater). *There's a gear discussion forum already (Rod, Reel, Tackle and Repair).

Denny

You raise good points, as as some of the mods from some of the other boards I have noticed already do, is allow posts that might get moved to a different board stay in the board that it was created only because the target audience inhabits the board it was posted on. For example, in the Bass board there are posts all the time asking questions about rods, reels, and lures. Do those get deleted or moved to the "Rod, Reel, Tackle and Repair" board or a more general board...no, because the questions asked regarding those items are intended to bass anglers giving bass presentation specific answers. Currently there is a "Largemouth Bass" post on the front page of the "Fly Fishing" board, it most likely is still there because even though the topic itself is about largemouth bass which some would say belongs in the "Bass Board", the question and reports that came up in the post are specific towards fly fishing that are best answered by the frequent visitors of the "Fly Fishing" board. If you take the time to think about it, most of the arguments against the TTY board, could actually be used against alot of the other boards that already exist. But as each of us find after visiting these boards, it is best that they exist also! 8-)

/me

MB_Kevin
08-20-2008, 10:31 PM
I'd actually like to have a shore board as well. I banked it for a lot of years and never had a shortage of fish. Pretty much like you CC! *;)
Maybe a shore/small boat board for freshwater. That way it would get more action. Still be great for the tubers and kayakers to post on. I think many members would like a place to post that only can fish from shore. Im not trying to take away from the tube forum because it could be cool but if you added in shore fishing I think many members would go to it.

YakMotor
08-20-2008, 11:35 PM
I've checked out other kayak specific sites, but prefer the diversity and friendliness found in the Sniffer Forums.

There are certainly unique aspects of mini-craft fishing like smaller waters that can be accessed, portability, lower cost to get out on the water, gear specific to the craft, and small presence on the water ... nice for sneaking up to photograph wildlife ... that could provide lots of topics to banter about.

I hang out mainly in the trout board and will continue my postings there, but will also participate in a TTY board if it happens. Way I see it if a interesting lengthy post made in the TTY board has valuable info for say bass, trout, or saltwater a small appropriate linking post could be made to alert folks who may appreciate it. Just like the one that brought me here.

Bass_Sergeant
08-21-2008, 08:13 AM
Way I see it if a interesting lengthy post made in the TTY board has valuable info for say bass, trout, or saltwater a small appropriate linking post could be made to alert folks who may appreciate it. * Just like the one that brought me here.

Good idea! 8-)

/me

troutfan
08-21-2008, 12:56 PM
I for one don't think that is a very good idea. *A one-time occurance for a potentionally new board is one thing but it shouldn't be done on an ongoing basis. If it were put anywhere it should be on the Campfire board. If the board is there and you have an interest you should review it now and then. ;) *If everybody starts putting a link to their board which they consider interesting it could get messy. ;)

Bass_Sergeant
08-21-2008, 03:00 PM
I for one don't think that is a very good idea. *A one-time occurance for a potentionally new board is one thing but it shouldn't be done on an ongoing basis. *If it were put anywhere it should be on the Campfire board. *If the board is there and you have an interest you should review it now and then. ;) *If everybody starts putting a link to their board which they consider interesting it could get messy. ;)

That's what I was thinking. After it is made known that the board exists, then obviously it should just be treated and act as every other board. 8-)

/me

YakMotor
08-21-2008, 10:19 PM
I don't see much potential for a mess with a few referrals for good posts. Even a moderator has been praised for doing it in the Campfire Board for some GREAT posts made on the Trout Board about mountain trout fishing.

If a problem did develope a moderator could step in to control it. Goal being cooperation and maximum use and enjoyment for everyone.

troutfan
08-22-2008, 03:38 AM
I don't see much potential for a mess with a few referrals for good posts. *Even a moderator has been praised for doing it in the Campfire Board for some GREAT posts made on the Trout Board about mountain trout fishing.

If a problem did develope a moderator could step in to control it. *Goal being cooperation and maximum use and enjoyment for everyone.
...and if you ask that moderator he will agree that any referrals should be confined to the campfire board. Allowing people to put links to their favorite posts on other boards would greatly increase the occurance of spamming and the moderators don't have much of an appetite for increasing their workload. *If we confine referrals to the Campfire board it is manageable.

Bass_Sergeant
08-29-2008, 03:54 PM
*If we confine referrals to the Campfire board it is manageable.

Thanks for the tip! 8-)

/me

lasttime
09-01-2008, 05:01 PM
OK so I guess my earlier post got on somones nerves that's why it is gone now? :'(

I did have a message for the powers that be in that post and that message was... If you give us no alternative, I.E. no sniffer TTY specific board, then those of us with a strong interest in having one will have no choice but to visit other sites that do give us that alternative.

I really don't understand the reluctance to do it. The way I see it this issue is a nothing ventured nothing gained kind of thing for the sniffer. Don't make a TTY board and you will be no better or no worse than you are right now.
Maybe, just maybe, if you did make a TTY board you would generate more traffic to your site. You will never know if you don't! Your choice!

I think I'll go play in a different sandbox now.

Bass_Sergeant
09-19-2008, 04:40 PM
So what is the latest from the powers at be MM? Has the jury come to a verdict? 8-)

/me

metalmouth
09-20-2008, 10:26 AM
We are on the final pull. Probably have something Monday or Tuesday. :)

Bass_Sergeant
09-25-2008, 03:12 PM
It's alive!!! :) Check it out by going to the message board index, it hasn't yet been added to the dropdown in the top left of the screen. You will find it in the General forums, between the boat and rod boards. thanks to everybody who helped make it a reality! 8-)

/me