PDA

View Full Version : New look for the boards;

Mickey_Thomas
07-04-2008, 05:17 AM
It was hard not being able to sign on yesterday but this morning now that I see the "new Look" I kind of like it :) smiley's are a little more active and the "baby blue" matches my eyes ;D ;D ;D

Troutski
07-04-2008, 08:35 AM
I like the new format....very friendly... Thanks for all your hard work on the site.

Chuck

epzamora
07-04-2008, 09:08 AM
i don't like the color. more accurately, i don't like the blue forum color matched with the surrounding green and red. it's disconnected design-wise and feels like a site disassociated with but located within another. why not offer the option for users to use different "themes" or find a color other than the blue to better match the overall surrounding colors?

eric
fresno, ca.

metalmouth
07-04-2008, 09:29 AM
We haven't got to the colors yet, please be patient. The code does not have user options for color screens, we will be working on a more comfortable look. ;)

MM

okie
07-04-2008, 09:36 AM
i certainly appreciate the work being put in to improve the sniffer board, however, i do not like the colorm and the new layout. when i select 'fresh water' board, trout, i get the 'general board'. was this overlooked or just have't got that far yet?
bill

cornfused
07-04-2008, 10:12 AM
I like the new look, but there appears to be some bugs that need to be worked out. *Whenever I click a link to another thread (such as in any of the various FAQ threads), I am redirected back to the main Forum Index. *Also, if you try and go to a specific board using the red "Message Boards" button at the top left on the screen, you are also redirected back to the main Forum index instead of the specific forum you clik on.

Bass_Sergeant
07-04-2008, 10:31 AM
i certainly appreciate the work being put in to improve the sniffer board, however, i do not like the colorm and the new layout. when i select 'fresh water' board, trout, i get the 'general board'. was this overlooked or just have't got that far yet?
bill

At the risk of sounding l a broken record, the same thing happens to me when I try to go to the Bass Board, when using the red drop down menu iin the top left corner. Clicking on it from the Main Index in the middle of the screen works though. Also when I remove a post, I get some weird error message, but the post still gets erased. But besides that I like it! 8-)

/me

metalmouth
07-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Jeez guys. I posted that the board isn't done yet. We're aware of the drop downs the colors and various other glitches. Before you start Beotchin maybe you will let us finish. We could have just left it closed all weekend so we can enjoy the fourth as well! ;)

cornfused
07-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Don, didn't mean to sound like I was complaining ::)* - Just wanted to point out the issues I am aware of so they could be fixed. *I do appreciate all the time and effort the moderators put in to this site :)

metalmouth
07-04-2008, 10:57 AM
We do still have some issues! ;D We just didn't want people like me going through Sniffer Withdrawls all weekend! :o Have a great Fourth!

Don

CJC
07-05-2008, 01:07 AM
Jeez guys. I posted that the board isn't done yet. We're aware of the drop downs the colors and various other glitches. Before you start Beotchin maybe you will let us finish. We could have just left it closed all weekend so we can enjoy the fourth as well! ;)
MM

It seems to me they are trying to help with the debug. Deborah could use this feedback.

metalmouth
07-05-2008, 01:24 AM
I agree. As long as they know we're trying. ;D

Jetspray
07-05-2008, 06:31 AM
My mom always said "Don't complain about the food until it is all cooked, put on the table, prayers are said, everything is tasted, and you are satisfied". Seems so far that we're jumping the steps. I like the boards upgrade so far, but then I'm not a moderator just a guy who likes it.......Jetspray

arima_fan
07-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Ok I'll wait to see how it turns out, BUT where's my favorites folder???????????? I want it to look at something and can not find it!

metalmouth
07-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Still working on FAQ links and Favorites . . . ~

Diesel2052
07-05-2008, 10:36 AM
I really like the new board excellant choice and a great job to get it working so fast. Thanks for all of your efforts!

Tim C.

RonM
07-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Ok I'll wait to see how it turns out, BUT where's my favorites folder???????????? I want it to look at something and can not find it!

When you are in your PM's just under where it says VIEW in the black it will say MESSAGES, PROFILE and POSTS, click on POSTS and you will see it.

PickLeNose
07-06-2008, 07:20 AM
You guys are awsome for putting all this time to upgrade this board.

cant wait to be able to change the colors hehehe :)

ONe thing, the page load times are almost 4 times what they used to be now. Its only this board, I can open most other pages in a snappy manor, bujt when I log on here its really slow. I am sure you know this and I do appreciate all the hard work you guys put in here, especially on a long holiday weekend.

Bob

żżż
07-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Great effort! The look and feel looks more 'current' than before which was a little dated. That's OK, moving ahead!

Since y'all are working on the flyouts and such, can we have a comprehensive list of all the Saltwater sub-forums? I've been here for years and only recently discovered that there were more sections than General, Salmon, and Outer Limits! I don't know if this is true of other forum sections...

Also, a direct link to your Events page would be great (instead of on the News scroll). This was brought up a while ago, and would be a good thing to have.

SNIFFERS ROCK!!!! 8-)

RonM
07-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Great effort! *The look and feel looks more 'current' than before which was a little dated. *That's OK, moving ahead!

Since y'all are working on the flyouts and such, can we have a comprehensive list of all the Saltwater sub-forums? *I've been here for years and only recently discovered that there were more sections than General, Salmon, and Outer Limits! *I don't know if this is true of other forum sections...

Also, a direct link to your Events page would be great (instead of on the News scroll). *This was brought up a while ago, and would be a good thing to have.

SNIFFERS ROCK!!!! 8-)

Mooch,

The Events link is on the left side in the green, just under where it says ALL BANNER ADVERTISERS and above the Ads by Google.

On the Main Board where you see the categories, Fly Board, Saltwater, Freshwater you will see a + sign. Click on the plus sign and it will open and show all the sub categories.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb0807/YaBB.pl

żżż
07-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Yup, I see those, and that's actually where I 'discovered' the other sub-forums. *It's under the red categories where the different forum sections appear in a 'flyout'. *The flyout list for Saltwater is incomplete. *I know there's more than one way to skin a cat, but that's how I've been navigating the site. *It's more convenient to use your flyouts than to nav to a main page, scroll down to what I want, and click. *Not a big deal, just thought I'd mention it since someone was addressing the flyouts...

Mooch,

The Events link is on the left side in the green, just under where it says ALL BANNER ADVERTISERS and above the Ads by Google.

On the Main Board where you see the categories, Fly Board, Saltwater, Freshwater you will see a + sign. Click on the plus sign and it will open and show all the sub categories.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb0807/YaBB.pl

johnbfishin
07-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Now we got it goin' on! Very cool and thank you.

Rusty_Hooks
07-07-2008, 08:15 PM
And they say people move away to retire ;)

Thanks Deb 8-)

G-whiz
07-07-2008, 09:04 PM
*I agree with everybody.... *ha
*I gotta say that the colors are hard for me to see words very easily. Blue is my favorite color but, on here it's really hard for me to focus and navigate. I'm sure you have your hands full but, if you'd consider making a change? Maybe back to the old color?
*The window on the bottom doesn't "re-open" the forum it's on. That's kind of a bother using the "back" button.
*Don't get me wrong... *I love the Sniffer Boards and you guy's can do what you'd like. *And, I'll still love it here... *Just my 2 cents.
*Thank you all for the time you took to up-grade and get us set-up for our "New School"...* Thanks again, Whiz

YakMotor
07-07-2008, 09:42 PM
"GO GREEN! Isn't that the wave of our future? Why, UGH!, baby blue? I LIKE the great looking old fashioned, established, color style. Besides, it "fits" the call of the future.

More important is accommodating LARGER photos? When that going to happen? That would be an improvement SURE to be enjoyed by (almost) everyone. The ancient excuse of slow page loading for dial-up users is lame. How many are left? Whadda we gotta do? Wait for 'em ALL to die?

johnbfishin
07-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Another upgrade that might be considered...we have the big Kahunas, how about the snarfy's. ;) ;D ;D

troutfan
07-08-2008, 01:53 AM
Another upgrade that might be considered...we have the big Kahunas, how about the snarfy's. ;) ;D ;D
;D ;D ;D ;D

Dennis
07-08-2008, 07:20 AM
Deb,
Thanks for all the hard work. It looks great. I'm sure that there's probably still more to come. Most people don't understand how much work is in an upgrade like this. I appreciate all that you do. Take care.

CDK
07-08-2008, 08:24 AM
You guys are awsome for putting all this time to upgrade this board.

cant wait to be able to change the colors *hehehe *:)

ONe thing, the page load times are almost 4 times what they used to be now. *Its only this board, I can open most other pages in a snappy manor, bujt when I log on here its really slow. I am sure you know this and I do appreciate all the hard work you guys put in here, especially on a long holiday weekend.

Bob
YUP!
And yesterdays shut down slowed it more [smiley=foottap.gif]
Also remember that over 10% of us males are color blind to some degree . >:( Thanks mom. :D

metalmouth
07-08-2008, 09:35 AM
The page load times are normal or faster than normal at this point. We are getting bombarded with autocomputer spam several times a day and that slows the server down when under attack. Other than that it is operating at under 2 seconds.

CDK
07-08-2008, 04:53 PM
What is 2 seconds to you is not to those of us on dial up. We are talking minutes and we can tell it is slower. If I could get away from these old phone lines I would. But like others , satellite bucks is hard to justify.
I am on several forums and this is by far the slowest.

metalmouth
07-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Cal,

While I wish we could help those with dial up, the only way would be to reduce the thousands of pages of info on this site to half. With only 5% accessing the site through dial up it wouldn't make sense to give up one of the largest compendiums of fishing info ever assembled in a searchable format. The choice is faster loading and less info or more info and slower loads. We have to keep the info available to search functions so that leaves us with very few options.

Don

CDK
07-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Don
I realize that the information presented takes "time"
Example
From the time I clicked reply to this page loading was clocked at over a minute. For you it would be 2 seconds. Now if it slows by 25% that 15 seconds would be more noticeable to me than your 1/2 second.
Not everyone is as slow as I am or as fast as you. But when someone says it is slower it is.
Now I know that I could leave at anytime but I am willing to put up with the slow loading caused by my slow connection for the information.
One way to speed it up for us turtles is a way to block the signatures.
All the animation and pictures cause a lot of slow.
C

metalmouth
07-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Cal, I'm in Idaho and had dial up for years. I'm not putting down your points at all and we are searching for solutions. A lot of the limitations come from the software we work with. Many of the fixes just aren't available with this program and of course the info isn't transferable to another software service. As soon as the huge bugs our ironed out, hopefully soon, we will dive into connection speeds and problems in that area. We certainly don't want to lose you and I'm not making light of the time that you invest to be a part of this site. I will be forwarding your concerns to the admins so that all are aware of the gravity of the situation.

Thank you for your help and input,

Don

CDK
07-08-2008, 07:33 PM
I was just pointing to the differences. Your dial up in Idaho may be slower or faster than mine in Ca. I was thinking that if you had a high speed connection that you had forgotten about the slow connection people as most do when you said it didn't seem slow to you.
Whether or not the forum or my connection speeds up I will still be here 8-)
By the by, where in Id?