PDA

View Full Version : Big Break San Joaquin River Boat Hunting Regulations

aasaa
12-15-2014, 09:46 PM
Hi, I am new to the boat duck hunting industry trying to avoid getting citations. Do you guys have any information or tips can share? Meanly I will just stay on Big Break San Joaquin River and Franks Tract State Recreation Area.

Thank You

Waterdog
12-16-2014, 07:45 AM
Big break area can be a dangerous place to hunt. A few years ago a father, son and sons friend went out there to duck hunt on a stormy windy day at 0 dark hundred and their boat capsized and the son and his friend drowned. Father was found clinging to a piling in bad shape but he survived.It can be a dangerous place for a newbie or anyone. Make sure you have an adequate sized boat and hunt with a partner not by yourself. I don't personally hunt big break area as I have other areas I hunt (Montezuma slough area).

To hunt Franks Tract you you need a permit which you obtain through a drawing prior to the season. If you get a permit you have to construct a blind on Franks Tract according to specific guidelines and then remove it at the end of the season.

There is a lot of competition for good spots to duck hunt in the delta. Even though it is public property some people consider it their own private property and things can get nasty if you occupy their spot and near their spot.

If if you have more specific questions let me know and I will try to answer them.

aasaa
12-16-2014, 04:52 PM
Thank You so much for the info, I always go out hunting with a buddy system. I know we have to shut off the engine before we take the shot, but do we have to wait till the boat to stop moving tho? And my friend had told me that at the San Joaquin River under the 160 bridge some area is not allow to hunt or will get citations, is that true ?

Thank You

Waterdog
12-17-2014, 09:32 AM
You can't take ducks while under power. Cruising up to a group of ducks , killing the engine and shooting while the boat is still moving is illegal and is unethical. That is also considered harassment which is illegal. That is not hunting that is simply killing and slaughter. It would piss me off if I saw someone doing that, I would call cal tip and report that.
I am not sure what bridge you are referring to. The "160 bridge" runs over the mouth of 3 mile slough where it meets the Sac river. But you can't shoot close to bridges or roads per the regs. In addition there are no places to hunt around the 160 bridge nor will you see any waterfowl around there. I think you may be referring to the Antioch bridge. You need to read the regs and then reread them a second and third time. If you have any questions after that let us know.