PDA

View Full Version : Chamberlain Downrigger Releases

Line Stretcher
12-19-2014, 12:32 PM
I was having a problem with using the Chamberlain Releases in combination with the Scotty Shock Absorbers (snubber)

1. Right out of the packaging, the only easy way to connect the release is above the snubber.
2. The snubber tends to store energy if the ball contacts something and the resulting spin often causes the line to wrap around the release rendering it useless.

I wanted to put my release closer to the ball so I didn't have to be dragging on the bottom to troll there and I also wanted to cure the line wrap around issue so I wasn't constantly checking them.

I had just ordered a couple of more of the releases so I got on the phone and called Keith about the issues I was seeing. He was out so I went out to the shop and made up a couple of possible solutions and sent him pictures.

At first I thought that a couple of large swivels would do the job but they don't. With a 10lb weight on them they didn't swivel at all. I could have gone with expensive ball bearing swivels but decided to just try something really simple first.

I cut the attachment wire and removed it from the release and then made a new one out of some 218lb stainless steel leader material I had laying around. I added two beads to the wire and it worked perfect.

I talked with Keith later in the day and he said that originally he wasn't going to put the wire on the units and just leave attachment up to the user. Later he decided to include it so that they'd be ready to use out of the box. He agreed that my simple solution was the correct one and asked me if I'd pass it on so here it is:

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b500/pdgs1/007.jpg (http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/pdgs1/media/007.jpg.html)

My final solution included the Scotty Quick Clip at the bottom and a Danielson twisty lock at the top.

The top bead allows the release to move freely when the rod is loaded up and the lower bead allows it to spin freely when doing a fast retrieval with a high speed down rigger like the ones that I have.

I drug this rig through to pool and let the ball drag on the bottom and then roll from the shallow end to the deep end of the pool as if it was rolling down a point on a lake. The releases stayed straight so I'm confident this will work.

The 218lb stainless looks small compared to the other wire but average stranded cable and braid are rated for 175lb so I'm confident it will hold up fine under the load.

ngt
01-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Thanks for fixing up my setup and showing me how to do this. Can't wait to actually get back on the boat and get out there to give it a try.

Line Stretcher
01-02-2015, 10:56 AM
I tested them out yesterday and they work like a champ. I drug the ball through the muddy bottom and didn't have any problem with the releases wrapping like they did before.

Line Stretcher
02-24-2015, 07:07 AM
Bump for Lil Bone

Lil' Bone
02-24-2015, 09:25 AM
Bump for Lil Bone
Cool, if I can't make what I have work I'll look into this.
Thanks again.

Jetspray
03-21-2015, 05:51 AM
Good work on the Chamberlain Release, I don't use any but that looks like a great set-up Steve. I might look into it for Pyramid or Tahoe bottom dragging. Pyramid has the tuffa bottom and it would be rough there. I know a guy who drags the bottom with his weights and wraps them in duct tape to protect them from getting stuck............Jetspray