PDA

View Full Version : Pup's first day in the field

brokea--boater
01-12-2015, 12:29 PM
Lisa and and I have been working our pup Lexi,, on pigeons here at the house. She's 5 1/2 months old now. Getting her used to the sound of gun fire and getting her real birddy. I decided to take her out hunting with me and let her get some field experience running with our dog Rocky. Picked a field away from everyone, I didn't want to interfere someone's day with a young pup running into their line. Normally this area doesn't hold a lot of birds and is away from everyone, but I was more interested in getting Lexi confident in running loose. Turned her loose with rocky and she started to get the idea very quick. Working and smelling every scent she came across. Rocky was doing his job out front, and I see Lexi go into a small ditch and I expected her to come back out. When she didn't pop back up, I head over to where I last saw her. As I'm climbing up the berm, I start see'n birds flushing farther down the ditch. When I got up on top, I could see my pup in full stride a couple hundred yards ahead of me running down "Five"! more roosters. I'm yelling for to come back, and my wife is yelling at me for not having a check line on her and I'm to blame if we loose her,, o.k I know better. I'm actually pretty happy that she's going after them full speed, she has some heart and I can build with that. We get her back and continue on. Rocky locks up on one and Lexi walks on top of his point flushing the bird, one in bag and she's getting the idea why we out here. She does find one on her own and points on it briefly, flushing it, two in the bag. I'm stoked and my day is complete now with that. We reach the end of the field and head back to the car, half way back Rocky is on point way out front, and Lexi see's him, and honors him. I'm yelling at my wife to turn around and look at Lexi honor, but she didn't hear me and kept walking towards Rocky. Lexi held that honor for maybe 10- 15 seconds , and broke towards my wife. It was a good day for sure. I was surprised by all the birds in that area, but I think the 2 hour fog delay gave the birds some extra time to covey up.

Longer read than it should be, but too stoked to shorten it up,,,gregg

brokea--boater
01-13-2015, 10:24 AM
I thought I would re-post this short vid in case some of you dog hunters didn't see it the first time. Here's Lexi's first training session on a wing. It really is all about good breeding,,,gregg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW5s_BSdB7I&feature=youtu.be

monkey916
01-30-2015, 07:46 PM
How did she do during the end bird season Gregg...?

Waterdog
01-30-2015, 10:03 PM
Very nice. It's awesome when you see the light going on in their head. Great lookin pup, great lookin pair.

brokea--boater
02-16-2015, 07:26 PM
How did she do during the end bird season Gregg...?

I haven't hunted her that much lately, but we still have time. Damn Skipjack has my attention right now. I haven't posted any updates on it but its 98% done. The pup is a natural and we'll get her more field time very soon. Salmon season is right around the corner,,,gregg