PDA

View Full Version : Non lurker section

Trout_Terminator
09-23-2007, 02:18 PM
Alright, i was thinking about this, and i was wondering if we might be able to have a section on the board (all specifies, salt and fresh), that could be a no lurkers board (such as you have to be a member to see whats inside, and you have to contribute at least ONE post before you get access). Because there are a couple people here that i think aren't posting up because of the lurker factor (nothing wrong with that), and when only wanting to tell members about a spot, you have to PM them about it, but once you do, you get flooded by PM's asking for the same info, and i think that it would be a lot easier to just have a section where only members can view. Tell me what you think,

-TT

sarl00
09-23-2007, 02:27 PM
i agree, they can see all the information that you can if you are a member

Yaker
09-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Silver rated or higher only??

Know_Excuses
09-23-2007, 06:57 PM
Will never work because lurkers are potential customers to all the advertisers here.Unlike other boards this one is not a non profit.

Trout_Terminator
09-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Will never work because lurkers are potential customers to all the advertisers here.Unlike other boards this one is not a non profit.

Explain please. Like, you could still be a guest and see the advertisements, but to go into the no lurkers section, you would have to be a member.

Know_Excuses
09-23-2007, 07:08 PM
This is just my opinion, but, I think the the lovely people that run this board would not like any part of it private.It might discourage lurkers from being lurkers if all the good info was in a part of the forums they couldnt get.If the lurkers stop lurking because they cant get the info they are looking for, they will find somewhere else to lurk.Less lurkers means less potential customers for the advertisers who help to pay for this board.I could be wrong, like I said JMHO.

Trout_Terminator
09-23-2007, 07:18 PM
This is just my opinion, but, I think the the lovely people that run this board would not like any part of it private.It might discourage lurkers from being lurkers if all the good info was in a part of the forums they couldnt get.If the lurkers stop lurking because they cant get the info they are looking for, they will find somewhere else to lurk.Less lurkers means less potential customers for the advertisers who help to pay for this board.I could be wrong, like I said JMHO.

ah, that does make sence.

troutfan
09-24-2007, 06:28 AM
I don't believe that it would be a good idea. There are no secret fishing holes in California or Nevada. With all the different mediums available today, the word will get out. Holes get hot from time to time and we all have our little subtle things we do to catch fish at our favorite spot which we don't necessarily divulge. Everone has the right to divulge as much or as little as they care too but the charm of this forum is that it is open to everyone. If you care to provide further info the PM method works well in my opinion. Most of the members on this forum started as Lurkers and decided to contribute at some point. Those people that try to pump every bit of info from you don't know much and haven't had much success or they wouldn't act so desperate. All you have to do is ignore them. With all facts considered and not being paranoid I believe this sytem works best overall. ;)

FISHSTALKER
10-01-2007, 05:00 PM
We were all Lurkers in the beginning until something spurred our interest. Or we have something worth while to contribute or report.
Eventually they will join in or they will go somewhere else.

metalmouth
10-03-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm still lurking! :o ::) 8-) ;D

MB_Kevin
10-03-2007, 08:57 PM
I actually like the idea but know it would not work. It would be a mess with everyone posting all the reports (for all different fish) in one place. Also not fair to the advertisers.
I just want one for posting the surf striper reports. It seems to be a no no now. I'm sure many people who help me here would not be happy if I posted to much info on location and reports. I did see a difference in crowds this year possibly due to not posting it all over the Internet ::) I would be OK with it if I knew only BK were seeing it.
Like I said I know it would not work.

donzitroller
10-04-2007, 11:05 AM
We were all Lurkers in the beginning until something spurred our interest.
And then some of us become lurkers again after something spurns our interest.. I'm all for making the boards "members only".

Jason
10-04-2007, 12:35 PM
As far as I know this site is owned and maintained by the Fish Sniffer Magazine and they are doing a great job in allowing it to exist. If they want it to be members only than it is their decision. If your worried about "lurkers" reading your post, don't post.

donzitroller
10-04-2007, 02:45 PM
If your worried about "lurkers" reading your post, don't post.

EXACTLY.

Oxbow
10-04-2007, 03:30 PM
It seems to me that more and more of the early posters are doing just that and the so called "lurker" count appears to be down so where is the gain for advertisers? Just a silly observation on my part, I didn't do a scientific study so if I'm wrong, not the first time. BTW I have no opinion on a private section and thank the Fish Sniffer for the venue.

FISHSTALKER
10-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Spurned, spurred or spiked. You post your point of view. It's your's to promote, defend or yield to difference. You don't fade back to the shadows of being a Lurker because of indifference or being spurned.

donzitroller
10-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Spurned, spurred or spiked. You post your point of view. It's your's to promote, *defend or yield to difference. You don't fade back to the shadows of being a Lurker because of indifference or being spurned.
:D lol now that's funny