PDA

View Full Version : Mbf

big Lou
01-27-2015, 03:00 PM
Hi, quick question. Gonna head out tomorrow in a small twenty foot boat, to fish MBF, is it easier to launch out of Martinez, or say bay point and shuttle down. don't have gps.

heatsource
01-27-2015, 03:08 PM
I'd not go with out GPS, but if it's not foggy you should be ok
Martinez is closer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big Lou
01-27-2015, 03:11 PM
Thanks. I have to get gps but also have to fish. priorities I guess. I'll get one next month.

1fishaholic
01-27-2015, 03:19 PM
I would say Martinez is is quicker. Hang a right out of the harbor, cross under the 680 bridge and your there...10-15minutes tops. If it's your first time there, especially without GPS or a chart plotter, be very aware of the large sand bar that runs down the middle of the bay. There seem to be a lot of fish hold up between the bridge ans the sandbar. Good luck

kris k
01-27-2015, 03:29 PM
If you have a smart phone grab the navionics app. Works just as good as my gps

Fireguy
01-27-2015, 04:03 PM
+1 on the navonics app.

FishnBeer
01-27-2015, 05:02 PM
If the wind picks up it can be a long bumpy ride back to bay point. I would launch from martinez, just make sure you got bait squared away, they do run out esp. Derby weekend

LONO100
01-27-2015, 07:09 PM
it would serve you well to look at and study some maps of the delta that feature depths. like others have said, there is a big sandbar right in the middle just wast of the benicia bridge. if you google earth it, you can even see it, and a boat that got trapped in it.

i made my first trip out there to the MBF last friday and it was a great time out. i did do a lot of studying of the features under the water there and it helped my confidence as a first timer out there. you never know when that wind will pick up so if it's your first time like it was mine, launch out of martinez. its the quickest straight shot to the MBF, the launch ramp is great too. like i said, if you dont have a fish finder that displays GPS with depth charting, study study study maps before you head out! good luck and safety first.

big Lou
01-28-2015, 08:23 AM
Thank you guy very much.

Troutbead
01-28-2015, 08:50 AM
Thanks. I have to get gps but also have to fish. priorities I guess. I'll get one next month.

Living should be your top priority. You shoukd not go without a GPS. Just a bad idea.

delta916
01-28-2015, 10:35 AM
Charts are better. Get some and learn how to read them. GPS can fail like any electronics. I've been running around that area and most of the delta for more than 30 years. Long before the advent of GPS. Charts always worked then and they still work today. I like my GPS but still carry paper charts wherever I go. And you don't have to worry about your batteries running out.