PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Ducks

crawdaddundee
02-01-2015, 06:24 AM
I have a couple of limits of nice clean big ducks in the freezer that I killed on the last week of the season. I would really like to smoke some but don't have a smoker. Tried smoking things a few times before but never really was too successful with it. So does anyone know where I might take them to get them smoked? Or possibly one of you would like to take a stab at it and we could share the goods? Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks....(Jack)

BigUnInDaBoat
02-01-2015, 10:39 AM
Well I've been trying to get a duck or two from my waterfowl buddies for a shot at making some duck breast prosciutto, seems really easy and there are great vids on Youtube, have you checked there for smoking methods?

monkey916
02-01-2015, 06:18 PM
crawdad... you talking whole ducks or breasts..? I've been smoking breast pieces(whole and strips) and been getting them pretty good... I tried a few whole plucked ducks before Christmas(2 teal and a wigeon) and I still need to work those... Came out ok but I am to picky about things I make anyways as I been told many times... I found for the whole duck.... it is easier with far better flavor... to run a thermometer in it the whole time... take them to 140 degrees and pull them off... let rest and cut... My problem was my digital thermometer probe was to long for the teal or wigeon... so had to eye ball it... I got to compete with these young guys... posting recipes on here... you know haha...

crawdaddundee
02-02-2015, 04:43 AM
Ya, whole ducks, clean as a whistle. There is 10 widgeon, a teal and one spec. Could always cut them in half. All fatsos.

Headed out this morning @ 7 to Folsom to stir things up a little.

itsbangtime
02-12-2015, 01:37 PM
You can always cold smoke them in a large box, and finish in the oven. I seen it on TV- Good Eats on the food network, and tried it with salmon as they did on the show.
Get a large box, and put some dowels through about 3/4 the way up. Up, being the bottom of the box, because you are going to put the box upside down on concrete or the ground. In a tray add your coals and smoking chips, or a tray of smoking chips on a hot plate. You will not be able to get the high temp needed to thouroughly cook the duck/goose, but you can put them on a rack and smoke them for a few hours, then finish them off slow in the oven at 200 degrees until they are done. I would brine the ducks first and let them drain out and air dry before putting them in.