PDA

View Full Version : Del valle report 2/15/15

coop33
02-15-2015, 06:33 PM
Got to the lake at 7, made it to the water at 8 thanks to qwagga mussels and a guy that doesn't dry out his boat before inspection. Saw a guy in a float tube slaying good sized trout on what looked like bobbers and mousetails. Couple other boats around him caught a couple too. That was around the east beach in the morning. I caught a whole bunch of nothing. Tried dodger/wedding ring, broken back rapalas and spoons, solid rapalas, naked grubs, grubs behind spinners, bobbers and worms. Never have had much luck at this lake, today was no different. Only saw fish caught in the morning, stayed till 4pm. Water temp was about 58. Was a beautiful day though. One of these days I'll crack the del valle code.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Fireguy
02-18-2015, 06:12 PM
If the stream in the south end is running, and its deep enough (6ft or so) we used to slay them topline trolling F5 chartreuse and orange rapalas about 3-4 mph and 100 + ft back. Sounds dumb. Works

Troll topline, rods angled down so the tip is as close to the water as you can get it, along the far swim beach bouys as close as you can get to them, follow them until you get to the stream flowing in, then turn out towards the middle of the lake and hit the speed to 3.5+ GPS speed. usually you cant troll more than two rods doing this without tangles.

Other best bet is to take a boat out and bank it against the shore directly opposite of the ramp. Green power bait offerings or worm/mallow caught a bunch too.

houla
02-18-2015, 06:23 PM
I know it's the wrong forum but have you heard anything about the striper bite at DV?
Thanks!

Brickinthewall98
02-18-2015, 06:47 PM
+1 on the stream. I used to fly line worms and cast them out and slay

sarahpee
02-19-2015, 11:59 AM
I've had two trips to this lake in early spring, (April, May) and what I can't figure out is why the fish (trout) seem/want to hang out in the shallow, muddy inlet area of the lake, near the launch, when they have the entire big, beautiful, blue lake to cruise around in. Anyone know why this is?

basscatjosh
02-19-2015, 01:06 PM
stocked fish hang out around where they are dropped off sometimes for several days before they begin to acclimate. pond raised fish with next to zero natural instinct.

Fireguy
02-19-2015, 04:05 PM
Ive never talked to the trout personally, but I figure its because they dont know the whole lake is there yet.:alberte8zp:

Brutus20
02-20-2015, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the report Coop. Dont feel to bad. DeValle is a fickle #itch. It's not the catching fish lake it use to be. We generally try to avoid the crowds so we stay away from the marina and east beach area and I would agree thats where most of the action seems to be. I've been fishing DV for over 30 yrs. and the last 3to 5 yrs has been tough but we'll keep going back because its such a cool place.

Thanks for posting.................Brutus........

Bigfab34
02-20-2015, 02:00 PM
Well Ive been fishing DValle 15 yrs and I will tell you everything you need to know. Many fish love the running water of the muddy stream including trout. Yes they do need time to acclimate to the lake, but even hold overs year after year flock to incoming stream. Real lite bite this morning. Line would get tight, then nothing. Maybe bluegill ?Today i caught 3 trout. 2 on Powerworm/ egg combo in orange & chartuse 1 on kastmaster, east beach. Some fish are shallow and close to marina since they planted yesteday Thur.2/19 800lbs lassen. Water looks to have clear up a bit. 4ft visibility. Note: I catch many trophy trout over 10 lbs every year on Kastmaster all over lake. 100 cast usually yields 1 fish, some days 25/1..Be presistant...Tight lines

Bigfab34
02-20-2015, 02:05 PM
They have tons of instinct left buddy. Try to climb into Lions den at Zoo & see what happens.lol.
No but really. Its spring & trout are doing what they believe is spawning, hence running water like a river = spawn territory which is also why they are full of eggs now. Fished Del Val now 15 yrs.

Big Game
02-20-2015, 02:07 PM
If I am able to do a Recon this weekend - it will be my "hike" with a pack and possibly one of my pack rods - up and over the Ridge by the Dam. I might see if there is any Smallie or Striper activity. I don't do bait, so either they hit a lure or they don't. Need to get my butt moving....

Will report back if I find out anything interesting worth sharing.

BG

coop33
02-20-2015, 03:22 PM
Thanks for all the tips and comments guys. This was the first time I had been to Del Valle in a good 5 years or so. I do tend to stick to the less crowded parts of the lake and troll way more than I soak bait. It is a beautiful lake, and way to close to avoid for to long. Those fish I saw being pulled out of there were all impressive, none less than 15 inches and all fat, definitely not recent DFG planters. I just might have to try again.

kelpkutter
02-23-2015, 09:03 AM
I've had two trips to this lake in early spring, (April, May) and what I can't figure out is why the fish (trout) seem/want to hang out in the shallow, muddy inlet area of the lake, near the launch, when they have the entire big, beautiful, blue lake to cruise around in. Anyone know why this is?

Trout = Striper Kandy in DV. :tomato:A crusing trout will eventually be in the belly of a sriper sooner than later. I caught a 20+ lber there casting to schoolies and he had two trout in him. I'm not a fish killer but the people I was with were. I caught 10+ stripers that day and this one ended up feeding their family.

Troutbanker
02-23-2015, 05:53 PM
I fished Sat 21st and don't know why I even went back. Trolled marina and all the way to the dam, bait fished dam area where I used to catch monsters (even in winter), not 1 fish. Best bet is to join the crowd by the float tubers, sigh.

Big Game
02-26-2015, 11:19 AM
Yeah, Unfortunately, I don't have much to report from my Hike / Fish last Saturday either. I can, however tell you the water is fairly High and clear enough to Plug / Troll - at least in the North part of the Lake - near the Narrows and Dam area. It was a beautiful, sunny day but after about 1/2 Hour of throwing Swimbaits - No one was home. There were only a handful of boats on the lake.
It was a heck of a hike with a 20 lb pack though. I usually C&R my fish, but I wonder what I will do if I ever hook a big, fat Striper there. The extra 20lbs might just be a deal-breaker.

Tight Lines, BG