PDA

View Full Version : Rock fishing rod

TheWeasel
02-18-2015, 09:19 PM
I usually rock fish with a 9'6" downrigger rod. I fish in freshwater with whuppin sticks and love em, I'm just curious what I should use. I talked to one guy who also is pleased with the whuppin stick and he was getting the heavy action freshwater rod for rock fishing. The whuppin stick saltwater line does haven't the action listed but they got the lure oz listed. I plan on using a 40lb test line.

robn510
02-18-2015, 11:49 PM
for rockfish there's lots of options. spinning or conventional? inshore or deep? boat or shore? ect.

I'm going to assume boat first??
I use a trevala mh. they're light so less fatigue, can bounce jigs easy and can handle most of your shallow bouncing and deeper vertical jigging needs.
Thats if youre thinking of jigging.

(said in the dos equis guys voice)
"I dont always fish with bait and feathers for shallow water rockfish"..
"but when i do..I use a softer tipped rod"
(old school 196-7 or a 270 deckhand rod)

From shore/on the rocks/pockets I use a 9'8" swimbait rod (conventional)
or one of my my surf rods (spinning)

Comparable to the Salt Striker®/Whuppin' Stick is the Ugly Stik® Tiger™ Lite.
I know a couple of guys that use the tiger lites for rockfish. it suits them perfectly fine and theyve caught lots of RF and lings on them.

sorry I have no experience with the whuppin stick but do know, theres a ton of options when it comes to rods for RF.

some specifics. 40lb braid makes me think maybe shore fishing?

brokea--boater
02-19-2015, 12:06 AM
I had to chuckle a bit when I read that you used a DR rod. I did that once, the salmon had lockjaw that day so my wife and I decided to hit a couple reefs for some rockfish before heading back in. The only rods we had in the boat were our noodlely Salmon rods. 3-5lb rock fish was fun, but the lings had their way with us, rocking us a few times. Only two of us in the boat, and we were shallow <50' so we didn't have more than 3oz jigs tied on. So if your in a private boat and you don't mind losing sometimes to the bigger fish no fouls. If your on cattle boat and need more weight, because of depth but more importantly to keep your line in front of you, not down the rail (don't be that guy) while on a drift, a med-hvy rod with a fast action is much more suited to jigging a 5,6 up to 8 oz weight sometimes. I spool with 65lb braid, and add a short 10' or so of 30-40lb mono. braid tends to wrap the jig easier than mono when I'm jigging for rockies. The braid is nicer when drifting, less drag in the water, and definitely helps to turn a bigger ling around. I like my Penn Carnage rods with the deckhand handle for jigging. I've had a shoulder joint replaced and the long handle is nice because I can switch the rod position around when the shoulder gives me some grief,,,gregg

TheWeasel
02-19-2015, 08:56 AM
I'm fishing from a private boat, usually using a 6oz or 8oz jig. Hey don't hate on the down rigger rod haha, its fun haha. I was thinking 40lb or 30lb mono. But you make a real good point on braid, but I might have to give it a shot. Its gonna be a little bit of both deep water and shallow waters. I'd like to stick with a baitcaster. Them salt sticks don't got an action listed so I'd just go by the lure weight, right?

brokea--boater
02-19-2015, 11:28 AM
Links didn't work for me, I'm not sure what rods your referring to,,,gregg

TheWeasel
02-19-2015, 01:37 PM
How bout now?

MrAnchovy
02-19-2015, 06:49 PM
Very happy with my mh Tescada rod for jigging. Very soft tip - action specific for Lucanus jigs, but I've been using them for all around rockfishing.

F33rNoFish
03-03-2015, 04:51 PM
I actually really liked the Trevala model as well but couldn't find them in 2 pc.

So, I had one custom made. It's going to be a St. Croix flippn stick telescoping rod blank with a long handle for comfortable jigging and right under 7' fully extended. Handles, reel seat, guides, wrap, color...all my choices.

It'll be designed to hold up to 8 oz and pretty stiff. I kinda like it that way rather than too much action at the tip.

We'll see how it comes out. Should get it right before the opener.

Already have one of the St Croix flippn stick rods that I salvaged and made it my own which has worked pretty well. Very light too.

I'll post up pics once I get the new one.

Sent from my Phish bucket