PDA

View Full Version : Forum search function

YakMotor
10-26-2006, 01:49 PM
In the past I have actively promoted use of the forum search function especially for new comers. I was recently about to do the same, but thought to first try it myself. Results were disappointing so I held-up on making the recommendation.

Recollection of my most productive past search use comes from about a year ago before the YaBB upgrade. I was just becoming active in the forum and felt research was better than posting questions that may have already been answered. I remember spending many hours exploring threads and posts that proved to be a "gold mine" of GREAT information.

I was wanting to find out all I could about fishing Amador and Silver Lake. I don't remember exactly how I was able to do it but I recall the best info was over a year old. Since fishing is seasonable it makes sense to me to be able to search for something like ... Trout Board... Amador ... Nov / Dec ... past three years. Think that example gives you the idea of what I'm getting at.

I know there needs to be practical limits for the search function, but hope you can make a modification to provide a date span search option or can at least advise me how to get to all the good stuff that's still out there but over a year old.

drstressor
10-26-2006, 03:02 PM
The software won't allow the search function to be modified. *But to search for older posts:

In response to: This post was made in the last... , *select (all posts) from the drop down menu. *Then check the box to list only 1 result per thread to keep the number of hits manageable.

SuperDave
10-26-2006, 03:21 PM
I concur about using the "all posts" and limiting to 1 response per thread. The list of responses will be in chronological order so you could scroll past a block of dates or stop when a specific target date is seen.