PDA

View Full Version : Help

Chuck
09-19-2006, 05:18 PM
I know how to get to the member section of the people there but is there an easier way to go to a persons name right away without going to the "s" section and then going through so many sections to get a person like sierra_hillybilly? HELP

Erreck
09-19-2006, 07:32 PM
The easiest way is to find a post by the person you're looking for and clicking on their name. If you can't find a post of theirs, then you can do it the long way.

Chuck
09-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have done it that way before by going to a previous post. That does make it a whole lot simplier. I was hoping that there was a way to go to the S for example and be able to type in the persons name instead of going to a three page skip. If the persons name was sam it would be easy and if the name was szitz that would be ok also. Again thanks Chuck

drstressor
09-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Here is a trick I often use to find posts by a specific member:

Use the Search function from any board. *Enter "a" for the search string. Then enter the name of the user and select "search for topics posted in by someone". *Doing the search will rapidly bring up the members most recent posts. *You can then send them a PM or look at their profile.

Chuck
09-19-2006, 10:34 PM
I will give it a try and thanks Chuck

SuperDave
09-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Here is a trick I often use to find posts by a specific member:

Use the Search function from any board. *Enter "a" for the search string. Then enter the name of the user and select "search for topics posted in by someone". *Doing the search will rapidly bring up the members most recent posts. *You can then send them a PM or look at their profile.

Doc, do you know if the search engine is looking at user name or screen name? I know if you type a screen name in a PM or even use the wrong case letter, it doesn't work. It would be interesting to know if search by user found screen name, user name or both.

SuperDave
09-21-2006, 01:18 PM
Okay, it doesn't work with screen names. Unless someone looked at a profile, one wouldn't know if the screen name was the correct user name. In which case, one could send that person a PM. ;)

drstressor
09-21-2006, 02:57 PM
It works for most screen names except yours Dave. Try doing a search using hinrid, which is your actual screen name. You changed how your screen name appears, but that tool doesn't really change the name that you used when you registered.

SuperDave
09-21-2006, 03:01 PM
Doc, you would be surprised at how many people have slightly different screen names than user names. *Mickey, VVBob, Sunracer57 just to name a few. All I was saying was it would be difficult for the person doing the search to know if the name they were using was the "real" user name.

Mickey_Thomas
09-22-2006, 06:02 AM
My user name is the same as my screen name, I wasn't clever enough to think of a nick name ::)

SuperDave
09-22-2006, 06:25 AM
Mick, it's close. Your user name has an underscore in it. Just taking the underscore out of your screen name would make it impossible to do a search by, "Mickey Thomas".

Mickey_Thomas
09-22-2006, 03:09 PM
I didn't put it there ::) But I looked and you're right, OK, who's been underscoring names on the sniffer? :D

metalmouth
09-22-2006, 05:08 PM
I changed some caps. No wonder I'm invisible! [smiley=snacker.gif]
If you don't believe it check out this thread:
http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1158716440/18#18

MM ;D 8-) ;D

MB_Kevin
09-22-2006, 07:21 PM
I didn't put it there ::) But I looked and you're right, OK, who's been underscoring names on the sniffer? :D

You can't have a space in your user name so you have to put a _ in the name like I did. Later you can change it and I'm sure that is what you did because that is what I did. I think it was Reno Reeler that started us fixing this.

If you need to sign on from another computer you will need to put the _ in your name or you can't log in (I think). ;)

AllFishNoWork
09-24-2006, 04:23 PM
If you need to sign on from another computer you will need to put the _ in your name or you can't log in (I think).

You are correct MB, I was away from home this AM and had to put in my user name to log in.